It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get a Whole New Body

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
you don't need cloned, they can grow replacement vital organs, currently. these grown replacements do not need anti-rejection drugs because they are grown from your own stem cells.

they are at the stage where they are ready to do animal testing. after the animal testing we will see human trials, maybe 10 years from now.

once FDA approval you will see people living well past 150 years.

someone alive today will be the first to live past that age, someone born within the next 5 years will be the first to live past 300.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Yowzah, 5-10 years is wayyyy too short. Until there is a workable plan, wouldn't even put a number on it.

Something that I was reminded of, during my years of public schooling I wondered, if teleomeres shorten with aging, wouldn't you want to have a copy/sample of DNA, when the teleomeres were...uh, longer?

I have read news recently that suggest in the elderly even standing and walking increases teleomere length vs controls....which is kinda weird.

Just like how birth defects increase the older the mother is, older DNA one would think would have a similar situation.
edit on 10/9/2014 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

So if you lose a leg because a squirrel ate through it during your sleep, it happens, you've lost part of your consciousness?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This sounds like THE ISLAND with Scarlett Johansson where bodies are grown for harvest later if something goes wrong with the original body. Yeah, you'd be killing another person.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism

Consciousness is the body. If you change bodies, you change consciousness. Embodied cognition is gaining speed and empirical evidence, and will soon supervene the computational theory of mind and consciousness. Only bodies think and are conscious.

Not Proven. In debates in other threads I have had about consciousness I have yet to see a definition of consciousness that all would agree on; Books have been written and much research has been done on consciousness and I've yet to see a universal definition of exactly what consciousness is. Last night on the Coast to Coast radio show a doctor [including 15 years teaching at Harvard Medical School, Eben Alexander, M.D] who had experienced an NDE [near death experience] advanced the theory that consciousness is existent throughout all of existence and the human brain does not generate it but rather acts as a filter to filter much of it out so we can function as individuals - If that is true your body is not the source of your consciousness and could be replaced.
edit on 9-10-2014 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Not Proven. In debates in other threads I have had about consciousness I have yet to see a definition of consciousness that all would agree on; Books have been written and much research has been done on consciousness and I've yet to see a universal definition of exactly what consciousness is. Last night on the Coast to Coast radio show a doctor [including 15 years teaching at Harvard Medical School, Eben Alexander, M.D] who had experienced an NDE [near death experience] advanced the theory that consciousness is existent throughout all of existence and the human brain does not generate it but rather acts as a filter to filter much of it out so we can function as individuals - If that is true your body is not the source of your consciousness and could be replaced.

Yes, of course there is no definition. This is what happens when many people try to define something that was never there in the first place. It is impossible to replace something that is not there.

Eben Alexander’s story was put in doubt by his lies, which was pointed out by the doctors treating him. His speculations have little merit.

No, the human brain does not generate consciousness, as being conscious requires embodiment. Find me a brain without a body and explain to me how it is conscious. It is impossible. Only organisms are conscious, insofar as their bodies are built a certain way. Even bacteria in our stomach influences the way we think. We use our fingers to help ourselves count. Body language is important in understanding language. Spacial concepts and metaphors such as “in”, “out”, “through”, “up” require embodiment and a body to make sense. The most important neural connections are formed during the times we are learning our body and how to operate in the environment. Prosthetics have been shown to reduce or eliminate phantom-limb pain, implying our mind has a body-map. AI with bodies and sensory-systems have developed primitive personalities. Merely standing in an aggressive stance induces testosterone levels, enhancing confidence. And so on.

Like I said, embodied cognition is gaining ground in psychology, linguistics, AI research, biology, philosophy and medicine. I predict it will overturn these fields soon enough. Don’t take my word for it; look at the evidence and decide on your own accord.

Embodied cognition scholarly articles

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

..... Prosthetics have been shown to reduce or eliminate phantom-limb pain, implying our mind has a body-map. AI with bodies and sensory-systems have developed primitive personalities. Merely standing in an aggressive stance induces testosterone levels, enhancing confidence. And so on.

Like I said, embodied cognition is gaining ground in psychology, linguistics, AI research, biology, philosophy and medicine. I predict it will overturn these fields soon enough. Don’t take my word for it; look at the evidence and decide on your own accord.

I agree with most of what you just said. But don't follow your opinion that at some point in the future advancing AI and other scientific advancements will not allow the reproduction of the human organisms conscious [or cognitive] self body and all. Could one wake up in a new body one day the way some people undergo surgery today and wake up with a new face? Never say neveer.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
this is where they were last year

the transplanted structures also took on a range of liver functions — secreting liver-specific proteins and producing human-specific metabolites. But perhaps most notably, these buds quickly hooked up with nearby blood vessels and continued to grow after transplantation.

Miniature human liver grown in mice

and we know they are already transplanting trachea's, bladders and other non vital's grown from stem cells.

i would not be surprised if they haven't already gotten approval to transplant stem cell grown vital organs in people
edit on 10-10-2014 by bigx001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What if you connected the newly cloned brain to the old brain? Then, you activated the clone, and allowed the clone to "access" the old brain for a period of time. Over time, one might be able to "move" the consciousness of oneself into the new body, taking with them the essential elements of their personality and consciousness with them. This would eliminate the issue of trying to figure out how to format brain programming into computer programming and back again. Two brains speaking the same language, with identical structures. The old brain would essentially act as training wheels for the new one.

Thoughts?
edit on 10-10-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
What if you connected the newly cloned brain to the old brain? Then, you activated the clone, and allowed the clone to "access" the old brain for a period of time. Over time, one might be able to "move" the consciousness of oneself into the new body, taking with them the essential elements of their personality and consciousness with them. This would eliminate the issue of trying to figure out how to format brain programming into computer programming and back again. Two brains speaking the same language, with identical structures. The old brain would essentially act as training wheels for the new one.

Thoughts?

Interesting idea - same problems though - where is the technology to do it? How would you interface the two minds? And where do you get the empty or brain dead clone who still has an intact clone-able brain? Of course if they are already working on cloning all the other organs why not clone the brain? - that would be much, much more complicated as consciousness would have to be fed back into it at some point - Still think the downloaded consciousness is the most practical idea - could be done; Maybe not today but soon. Like your idea too MystikMushroom will think more about it,

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

They would basically have two brains for a time.

Why not clone a brain from a person who is still alive/connected to it? We could "grow" some spinal tissues and clone a brain off to the side of a person, and as the new brain matures it would begin to interface with the old brain back and forth. For a time the human would have two brains.

Once the newly cloned brain has been "worked in" enough, a series of tests could be conducted. The old brain could be put under anesthesia to see if the new brain was able to take over the conciousness of the old one.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Don't you get a 'whole new body' every approximately 7 years?

Å99

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
OK, going to listen to this now as it was on the Coast to Coast radio show last night - its what is actually happening now:

Digital Immortality
"In the final hour, lawyer, entrepreneur, and medical ethicist, Martine Rothblatt, PhD, discussed her latest research presented in Virtually Human: The Promise—and the Peril—of Digital Immortality. Rothblatt suggested it is unrealistic to think Artificial Intelligence will wipe out humanity, as there is no market demand for software that is harmful. She spoke about her work genetically modifying the pig genome to create unlimited quantities of organs that can be safely transplanted into humans, and how this technology will converge with the ability to download the brain within a few decades.

"You'll have a regenerated body before the end of the century, you'll have the equivalent of a brain in a thumb drive... and you've got an immortal being," Rothblatt explained. She examined some perils of increased longevity, including a bored and potentially suicidal population, and a large portion of the electorate that may be more risk averse. Rothblatt also talked about her invention of satellite radio and founding of United Therapeutics, which she started to find a cure for pulmonary arterial hypertension."

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99
Don't you get a 'whole new body' every approximately 7 years?

Å99

Following the assumption that 'consciousness' is a by-product of cells and physical mechanisms - 'downloadable consciousness' (given that body cells are replaced approximately every 7 years) already happens when cells are replaced...but do you get a new or replaced 'consciousness'?

Å99

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join