It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get a Whole New Body

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
For the moment and as far as I know science has not yet advanced to the point where you could replace your entire body with a new one - But advances being made today indicate that at some time in the future it may be possible. I want to postulate two possibilities for the future. And first want to remind skeptics that many major organs can now be replaced by transplant and cybernetic limbs [some of which are being used now] and organs are being developed.

But how about a whole new body? The first scenario requires the development of artificial intelligence so that it reaches the point where almost all intelligence, including feelings and emotions could be recorded - follow this with a cloned body of yourself [they have already cloned sheep] and then a process where it would be possible to download your recorded self into your new cloned self. Impossible now? Maybe, but how about fifty years from now? I say it one day will be possible - What do you think?

The second scenario I can see might be closer to reality even now - They can already transplant hearts, kidneys, lungs, etc. So what about a situation where someone is in an accident and ends up brain dead but with the rest of their body intact and whole - At one point in the future and since they can already and do transplant whole organs such as mentioned previously, why not transplant a whole brain? I understand that this would be more complicated then anything yet done but still see it as possible in the future. What do you think?

When you become old, tired and warn out [if you live long enough this will happen] would you want to be resurrected as a new you in a younger more vibrant body?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

I'm not going to go into the ethics of the brain transplant,think we know that is wrong. But I will point out that my Uncle had a kidney transplant and the organ transplants or not the end all of problems. With them comes a whole host of drugs that must be taken,plus the transplanted organ has a life span shorter than a normal persons natural one. My uncle was told that his would last about 5 years. Now don't get me wrong,but when I heard that I asked my mother "what can he do in the next 5 years that he hasn't done yet"? I thought it silly to take a healthy persons kidney from them(he took one of his brothers) just to buy yourself another 5 years. Then if something happens to that person,they only have the one kidney and if it goes they are now looking for a transplant. I'm sorry but I just don't agree with any of it.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I have often thought along those lines myself. But I wonder if implanting your conscience in a cloned body of yourself is ethical as it would really be another person though a twin of yourself. You would be extinguishing somebody. If scientists could simply regenerate your body as it is so that you retain all your identity it would be better. I would not be surprised if they can do that now. I am sure that I read recently that all your cells are replaced every 7 years so why do we age?
Another thing. I am sure that if they can clone a mammal such as a sheep then they can clone a human being. It will have been done already.
cheers

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Wholesale organ transplantation is problematic (though cloning your own organs has potential) as is the transfer of consciousness (defining it is difficult enough).

Technology to halt (or reverse) the aging process would seem to be a more viable alternative and is actually an active area of research.

edit on 10/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
3d bioprinting will fix transplant problems

as for consciousness. ...

reply to: Phage

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Thinking that you could upload "yourself" into a computer, then have that be "you", doesn't really make a lot of sense. It'd be like moving a PowerPC program over to x87 architecture and think that it'd work fine. You have to rewrite the program, and at that point, is the program the same?

Like in software piracy disscussions. Stealing a physical object, one thing, reproducing the same code but leaving the original source unaffected, another. It just seems far too simplistic.

Cloning is relatively easy, but even with "recorded" memory or whatever, a brain transplant that may have exactly everything the same, still wouldn't be "you". They'd be their own person or whatever probably fair to say. But whatever it is, it'd just be a step beyond having an identical twin, which in this context, wouldn't be anything.
edit on 10/8/2014 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

I'm thinking when they get to the stage of a total human clone it might be possible to clone an unconscious being and in the final stage of your resurrection your consciousness is implanted into the clone which never had an independent consciousness of its own - no moral issues of destroying another beings consciousness. If they have already done this you won't read about it because it is illegal - they passed some laws against human cloning. Of course if you had enough money you could probably still pay scientists to do it.

As far as the aging thing goes - 30 years ago they were saying man would soon be able to live to 140 or more - but it hasn't worked out that way has it? Even the great ones who stayed relatively young for many years get old and die - Jack LaLanne famous health guru died a few years ago at 96 and he looked quite old when he died. No, you need, a whole new body if you want to stay young and the other scenario I mentioned with a whole brain transplant may not work because the brain, like the rest of the body ages.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

30 years ago they were saying man would soon be able to live to 140 or more

Define "soon".

How "soon" do we get consciousness transfer?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Define "soon".

How "soon" do we get consciousness transfer?

In some occult traditions they say they can alredy do it and have made such claims for a long time - I have read about this but have yet to see scientific proof. Really doing it and proving it, how long you ask, this would be a guess, some would say never - I would guess 5-10 years maybe longer.
edit on 8-10-2014 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

You're an optimist. I thought I'd be flying to work in my own personal aircraft by now.

As I said, science can't come up with a solid definition or explanation for consciousness at this point. Not sure you can't move something so complex and integrated from one nexus to another at all, much less in 15 years.

Hmm. 15 years. How old are you? Feeling spooked by the years?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

After studying the human brain I do not believe that you could create an unconscious human being as at least 50% of our behaviour is influenced by inherent and built in genetic factors and a working brain is needed for basic life functions. Then again what is a brain when it is asleep- it is unconscious. I think that much of our consciousness is a result of hardwiring in the brain so if you removed the consciousness from its brain you end up with only half of the consciousness. Unless you could one day develop a program that replicates the function of a human brain but every human brain would would be slightly different. I hope that one day a person's consciousness can be downloaded onto some kind of chip then implanted into an android, maybe something like Avatar.
cheers

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I hope that one day a person's consciousness can be downloaded onto some kind of chip then implanted into an android, maybe something like Avatar.
cheers

Much as skeptics say it will never happen, computer scientists are actually working on conscious AI [artificial intelligence] and have held symposiums on the subject. My opinion is that the best way to create consious AI is to clone the consciousness from a living conscious human - If this is ever achieved then your consciousness could be downloaded to a chip [or chips] - but it may be a long time before the technology exists to create a human like android.

For those interested in this subject I would recommended at least two sci-fi movies [there are others]: "The Bicentennial Man" staring Robin Williams as an evolving robot who eventually achieves sentience and the more recent movie titled "Transcendence" staring Johnny Depp where a computer scientist about to die has his consciousness transferred to a super computer - good movie with a negative ending. But then again AI could be man's doorway to a New Dawn or the nightmare some sci-fi writers and computer scientists have warned us about.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Another interesting look at transferring consciousness was investigated in an early Stargate episode where a child's consciousness was accidently transferred to one of SG1'S mind with tragic consequences.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Saw all SG-1 episodes at least twice.

If you want to see the Blood Moon Lunar Eclipse now in real time:

new.livestream.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Thanks. But I have a nice clear sky with the Moon in it right now.
There's a monster eating it.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
We are already doing things to extend life, like Dick Cheney's Heart Transplant. His quality of life has dramatically improved and I think he looks younger. Plus, something that has basically been surgically possible since the 50's, transplanting a human head, we just don't do it because we don't have the ability to reattach the spinal cord.

I am thinking discoveries that greatly extend lifetimes will be kept exclusive.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

I am thinking discoveries that greatly extend lifetimes will be kept exclusive.

True - Here is one being offered right now:

Russian research project offers 'immortality' to billionaires - by transplanting their brains into robot bodies

A Russian entrepreneur who heads a hi-tech research project called 'Avatar' has contacted billionaires to offer them immortality.
Itskov claims he will personally oversee their immortality process, in exchange for an undisclosed fee.
Itskov, a media entrepreneur, claims to have hired 30 scientists to reach this goal - and aims to transplant a human brain into a robot body within 10 years.
'You have the ability to finance the extension of your own life up to immortality. Our civilization has come very close to the creation of such technologies: it's not a science fiction fantasy. It is in your power to make sure that this goal will be achieved in your lifetime,' says Itskov in a letter delivered to billionaires listed in Forbes magazine......

He has contacted a list of billionaires with a proposal for funding his quest for immortality - which Itskov refers to as 'cybernetic immortality' and the 'artificial body'.
The initiative is opening its San Francisco office this summer, and will be launching a social media project connecting scientists around the world.
'The 2045 team is working towards creating an international research center where leading scientists will be engaged in research and development in the fields of anthropomorphic robotics, living systems modeling and brain and consciousness modeling with the goal of transferring one’s individual consciousness to an artificial carrier and achieving cybernetic immortality,' says Itskov's official site.

'Such research has the potential to free you, as well as the majority of all people on our planet, from disease, old age and even death.'
'For anyone interested, but skeptical, I am ready to prove the viability of the concept of cybernetic immortality by arranging an expert discussion with a team of the world's leading scientist working in this field.
'I will also be willing to coordinate your personal immortality project entirely free of charge for the sake of speeding up the development of these technologies,'

See whole article here:
www.dailymail.co.uk... l

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I'm certain I have watched this movie. It has a name, "The 6th Day".

www.imdb.com...

Cool stuff, now if you can combine your out of body experiences with cloning perhaps you would have it made.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: QuietSpeech

I'm certain I have watched this movie. It has a name, "The 6th Day".

www.imdb.com...

Cool stuff, now if you can combine your out of body experiences with cloning perhaps you would have it made.

Just saw the movie [The 6th Day] - not bad, not great; Basically a melodrama about the possible nightmares that might arise from cloning. There are also quite a few good sci-fi movies on advancing artificial intelligence with various cloning scenarios in some of them. Most, if not all the movies have a negative slant on the technology that is developed - and these negative outcomes have to be considered as possible. But I would rather think positive, cloning and advancing AI may allow Man to evolve to a new level of existence - hopefully a better one.

Any complaints about replacing a damaged, diseased, or worn out self with a new one?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Consciousness is the body. If you change bodies, you change consciousness. Embodied cognition is gaining speed and empirical evidence, and will soon supervene the computational theory of mind and consciousness. Only bodies think and are conscious.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join