It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Public Schools Introduce Islam" In Mississippi

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy
a reply to: cloaked4u

I personally believe that it should be taught as a tertiary in regards to history -- behind facts of the event and who was involved.

To leave out motivation is whitewashing the history in my opinion. If Christians embarked upon the Crusades because of religious intent, than it should be taught as history. Same as if when the Muslims started their conquests, it should be taught.

Similar to today in terms of our post-modern world of political correctness.
It should absolutely NOT be taught. It’s against the constitution. When they start teaching Christianity or Catholicism or Buda then hey, okay
edit on 8-10-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
go teach that at university to adults as history and leave it in the past where it belongs. Don't teach religion to grades kindergarden thru 12th grade. You can read about it later.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
If they were teaching Islam in a historic viewpoint I would think it ok, But I doubt that is the way it is being taught. I say that because I have seen a story about the majority of textbooks used in public schools being supplied by Saudi Arabia.
They contained several chapters on Islam and several pages on all other religions.

If Islam was being taught to somehow create more tolerance towards Muslims I would like to see the results of a class on Christianity being proposed at Muslim schools.

I think it is usually the atheists that whine about the removal of prayer in school and all things religion, it usually seems to be the PC crowd that deny certain things for the fear of offending others (Muslims) whether any Muslims have been offended or not.

Still a slippery slope to travel if other religions are not also given the same amount of time in class.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I say that because I have seen a story about the majority of textbooks used in public schools being supplied by Saudi Arabia.

You mean public schools in Saudi Arabia, right? Otherwise you might be accused of spouting nonsense.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Damn right, if I want my kids to learn about a damn cult I'll send them to the Phelps Camp. Screw having them taught about this cult. Who the hell decides who indoctrinated my kids into a cult but me.

a reply to: Answer

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

What is unconstitutional? Me thinks you do not understand the First Amendment.

So what colleges should teach it? State University?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Absolutely. This! ^^

a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Absolutely. This! ^^

a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

None at all if we all agree that is nothing more than make belief. Are you willing to justify to Muslim's that they, like all religions, worship fairy tales? Which religion do you think will be offended the most?

We know that answer ..

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   

You know, that whole church and state thing.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I believe critical thinking should be taught early on, alongside the basic of reading, writing and arithmetic. Children are smarter than what we allow them to be and their natural curiosity is ripe for teaching them about their world around them. From religious views to understanding the world around them.

That all said, I still hold firm on not having enough information about this (the OP claim) to determine if it is beyond the scope of teaching history and/or culture or if it is political correctness.

Yes and I want world peace but can we get a bit real here?

We shouldn't discussing our own personal utopian societies, though. As much as I think it's a good idea for people to be introduced to the basics of religion for the sake of knowledge, how can we expect that in our 'my name is earl' world?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: haviahabia

That's funny because Iraq did attack us which is why we invaded in the first place, you think America invades countries for fun?

Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. We invaded Iraq because Israel viewed them as a threat and Saddam wanted to drop selling his oil for the dollar and go with another form of currency.

They sure as hell ain't gonna teach Islams in Mississippi, they ain't liberals there sorry to disappoint you

Perhaps you should watch the OP's video again they are teaching about it but the Islamophobe in left out how it is a class where they teach about the top five religions in the world.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

We're raising "enlighted", "sensitive" idiots.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

a reply to: cloaked4u

Its not about learning a religion...it is learning about human and society history.

A valid point, but I think mathematics might be a tad more important than islam and anything to do with it.

So mathematics should be taught in every class? Only teaching one thing in school doesn't make for a well rounded education.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

You know, that whole church and state thing.

Teaching about a religion doesn't not violate Church and State. It is the practicing of faith that violates Church and State.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Yes it's far better to raise children that are ignorant.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
***ATTENTION***

Please make sure we are following the T&C at all times. Discussion, debate and argument is ok, so long as we are being courteous and respectful.

~Tenth
ATS Super Mod

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
(raises hand) Oh, by the way, the source material is wrong, perhaps because he misinterpreted the state abbreviation. "MI" is Michigan, where this occurred. Not Mississippi, which is MS.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: beezzer

Yes it's far better to raise children that are ignorant.

We're raising ignorant children NOW.

Or do you think the public school system is just peachy.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What is the problem? Some people are offended and afraid of the strangest things. Understanding other people's religions is the first step in knowing who they are as individuals.

What is wrong with learning about Islam? Even if you believed that they were an enemy of yours, understanding their religion is wise.

After all Islam, Christianity and Judaism followers are all "people of the Book". Even Islam believes that.

People are strange.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The issue is obviously how the information has been presented. Who put the assignment together? Are they citing websites or books? Are they considered an authority on Islam? Why does the presentation, appear to be stating fact when it is 90% opinion?
It would make more sense if this was an English class and the exercise was to pick out all of the issues with the way the information is being presented...

edit on 10/8/2014 by GoOfYFoOt because: yawn...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join