It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Public Schools Introduce Islam" In Mississippi

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: desertguy

I will take my children out of Islam class just like Muslims do with their children here in the UK with Christian class.
If they can do it so can I.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

Its not about learning a religion (we cannot say that is what is taught via a You Tube post that doesn't give clarity to the whole story in my opinion), it is learning about human and society history. Such history has elements of religion that were the fabric of our pasts. Understanding what they are, where they were derived from and how them have come to pass (or how they have matured, degraded, or evolved) plays a huge part in education in my opinion.

In the early 90's (dating my self a bit), in high-school, we read from the Bible; not to teach its teaching but because it is the most read literary work in the world. We read it for its prose, its beauty; regardless of content. We learned why the Christian States (England, France, etc.) sought the crusades; why the Muslims gained large swaths of land.

Learning about something isn't being brought into the fold. So long as the material is neutral, I have no problem with it being taught. Religion is and for the foreseeable future, will be a part of being Human. Teaching such doesn't have to result into war.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

history, religion always a one sided coin. Try asking north korea's version of history compared to iran and isreal's version with the chinese and monks versions. I bet they all different in how things were percieved in the history books. Always ends up that way, cain't change a country's bible, beliefs or how you teach history can you?
Their are differences in the teachings. Thus a problem forms. Conflic begins. Maybe we can add into schools the KKK teachings. It doesn't make sense.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u

history, religion always a one sided coin. Try asking north korea's version of history compared to iran and isreal's version with the chinese and monks versions. I bet they all different in how things were percieved in the history books. Always ends up that way, cain't change a country's bible, beliefs or how you teach history can you?
Their are differences in the teachings. Thus a problem forms. Conflic begins. Maybe we can add into schools the KKK teachings. It doesn't make sense.

Either you are intentionally obfuscating your position or maybe just not conveying it as well as you could. I will err on the later. While history does enjoy (maybe not the best word to use) a subjective view from which it is taught, it still nonetheless, is important. If the subjective view is so skewed, it is up to the People who are receiving it, to question it.

In essence, that is what is happening here, but I believe it has gone full tilt and beyond in regards to what is actually known of the situation. If the school is teaching the tenants of the religion, than I am with those who are up in arms. If though, they are teaching of the religion and how it plays in the world, than I say teach on.

Knowing what makes us human, what makes us different, the same, our struggles, and our pasts, will only make us stronger.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy

Its not about learning a religion...it is learning about human and society history.

A valid point, but I think mathematics might be a tad more important than islam and anything to do with it.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

why don't we talk about all religion and why they are all different and who made it that way and why. Then, while we are all argueing in schools about religion ,our children will learn why people hate one another in the first place.

YOU KNOW: I think your on to somethin. Get all the parents and children together and talk about all the religions.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Its not about learning a religion...it is learning about human and society history.

A valid point, but I think mathematics might be a tad more important than islam and anything to do with it.

Is there suggestion that mathematics isn't being taught? Reading is important too; so is writing; logical deduction; critical thinking; etc.

Not sure what your point is, maybe you can clarify.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I personally believe that it should be taught as a tertiary in regards to history -- behind facts of the event and who was involved.

To leave out motivation is whitewashing the history in my opinion. If Christians embarked upon the Crusades because of religious intent, than it should be taught as history. Same as if when the Muslims started their conquests, it should be taught.

Similar to today in terms of our post-modern world of political correctness.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Is there suggestion that mathematics isn't being taught? Reading is important too; so is writing; logical deduction; critical thinking; etc.

Not sure what your point is, maybe you can clarify.

I noticed no suggestion whatsoever that other subjects are not being taught, but there are only so many hours in a school day.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Because the You Tube video wanted us to believe that only Islam was being taught. Have you thought about that? We have no other source to work upon here but some wish to take that video as the truth without even verifying its veracity. I find that problematic.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: desertguy
a reply to: desertguy

I am not against Islam I just would not want it to be taught to my children.

You are so wrong. Just try preaching Christianity.

So your children shouldn't learn what it is, what it says, and have some knowledge base to understand what people mean when they say "Islam"???

Ignorance is the solution?

Get real. They aren't trying to indoctrinate kids, they're trying to educate them about the world.

Nope, not allowed to teach about religion in schools. The liberals made it illegal, no symbols or even the generic phrase in God we trust is not allowed.

Parents need to threaten to pull their kids from these schools, money talks.

You're completely wrong.

Learning about religion is part of the curriculum because it's a huge part of our history. Trying to convert people is not acceptable.

There's a big difference. Teaching people about religion is not the same as trying to get them to follow it.

You are so wrong. Just try teaching Christianity.
edit on 8-10-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

How does religion play in your world? Explain that to me in detail and why it should be in schools taught as a histagraph or history of events.
Hold on, Let me make some popcorn.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

It's only problematic when people who have brick dust in their heads watch it and don't think for themselves, so I guess I haven't really thought about it.

If people jump to conclusions they will surely, eventually be burned and hopefully that will teach them a valuable lesson.

edit on 8-10-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

It should be taught as any other verifiable history is taught. Should we ignore a part of human history because we might offend others? Should we not recognized Martin Luther? Constantinople? Greeks? Romans? Gandhi?

Those subjects have a back-history that is steeped in religion and it shouldn't be ignored. Grab your popcorn I guess.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

It's just that kids are growing up not being able to spell properly and someone thinking islam is important when they are dumb as posts isn't exactly a smart move.

Leave that crap for university.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I personally believe that it should be taught as a tertiary in regards to history -- behind facts of the event and who was involved.

To leave out motivation is whitewashing the history in my opinion. If Christians embarked upon the Crusades because of religious intent, than it should be taught as history. Same as if when the Muslims started their conquests, it should be taught.

Similar to today in terms of our post-modern world of political correctness.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

It's just that kids are growing up not being able to spell properly and someone thinking islam is important when they are dumb as posts isn't exactly a smart move.

Leave that crap for university.

EXACTLY, only you beat me to it. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
They aren't teaching his kid about Islam he claims some woman sent to him. Then for the rest of the video he whines that Christianity isn't being taught in schools. He got this off facebook which is well known for accuracy. Just because they are learning about it doesn't mean they are being converted to follow Islam. When I was in school we were taught about all different kinds of religions it doesn't violate the law because they are just teaching it they are not practicing it. We were taught about the Nazis in school but we didn't kill Jews for the final exam.

I took "The Crusades" and "Comparative Abrahamic Religions" in High School during my senior year of high school. It was an elective and we had to have our parents sign off on it since it would teach "Religious matters and their reasons for entering into the Crusades" for the first and "This is a comparative study taught by the textbook XYZ" for the latter.

So was there a notice sent home to parents or were the kids given no choice to be removed from the lesson?
edit on 8-10-2014 by This1000xThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I believe critical thinking should be taught early on, alongside the basic of reading, writing and arithmetic. Children are smarter than what we allow them to be and their natural curiosity is ripe for teaching them about their world around them. From religious views to understanding the world around them.

That all said, I still hold firm on not having enough information about this (the OP claim) to determine if it is beyond the scope of teaching history and/or culture or if it is political correctness.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
video's did not play for me and title vague. Adults should learn about religion at universities not grade school .period.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join