It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Explanation Offered for Aldrin's Apollo-11 UFO Sighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Orbital manoeuvres in the dark: Apollo 11’s UFO
www.thespacereview.com...
by Dwayne A. Day
The Space Review
Monday, August 25, 2014

As Apollo 11 headed to the Moon, the astronauts looked out their window and noticed something—an object, flashing with some kind of regularity.

I still prefer the panel explanation but new data always calls for reappraisals.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

I had earlier learned a top-secret and sensitive American photographic reconnaissance satellite had failed and was tumbling out of control. With each tumble it sent out a reflection from sunrays giving the appearance of flashing lights. My source was solid and he only told me with the promise I would not report it. At the time it could have damaged the country’s reconnaissance efforts severely.

This is what I heard someplace a long time ago...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Some people will never be satisfied with conventional explanations, and will want to believe that Aldrin and other astro and cosmonauts are hiding their vast-experiences-while-in-space with alien craft(s). Thanks for posting other options.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Some people will never be satisfied with conventional explanations, and will want to believe that Aldrin and other astro and cosmonauts are hiding their vast-experiences-while-in-space with alien craft(s). Thanks for posting other options.

I haven't ruled it out.

Let me ask this - why are they allowed to publish an article on the incident; but there is no link or embed for the video on their site? I know WE've all seen the video, but what about the public that is just reading the article and hasn't seen it? No opinions of their own? Take it at face value?

Hmph. Poppycock.

Thanks for the article OP.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

ATS Tread posted previously:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Update: Buzz explains UFO Moon sighting

Buzz Aldrin: "We well understood exactly what that was. And when we returned, we debriefed and explained exactly what we had observed. And I felt that this had been distributed to the outside world, the outside audience, and apparently it wasn’t, and so many years later, I had the time in an interview to disclose these observations, on another country’s television network...And the UFO people in the United States were very very angry with me, that i had not given them the information. It was not an alien.
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: splckr

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalJedi805

Let me ask this - why are they allowed to publish an article on the incident; but there is no link or embed for the video on their site? I know WE've all seen the video, ... :

Which video do you mean? The object was never imaged, as far as I know.
edit on 23-9-2014 by JimOberg because: punctuation

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The Apollo-11 sighting was known about and understood by the mid-1970s, here's a summary of such stories I wrote in 1976, where I include this

CAPTION. Saturn booster S-IV- b and four open “SLA” panels. On moon flights the four “petals” fly free and, together with the empty booster, tumble through space a few miles from the Apollo capsule. They were often seen as bright flashing lights as they reflected powerful sunlight. On Apollo=12, astronaut descriptions of these fragments were misinterpreted by UFO buffs and metamorphized into alien spacecraft.

www.jamesoberg.com...

Elsewhere I was still stuck on the S4B explanation, close but no cigar. So it took awhile for me to get smarter.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg
Orbital manoeuvres in the dark: Apollo 11’s UFO
www.thespacereview.com...
by Dwayne A. Day
The Space Review
Monday, August 25, 2014

As Apollo 11 headed to the Moon, the astronauts looked out their window and noticed something—an object, flashing with some kind of regularity.

I still prefer the panel explanation but new data always calls for reappraisals.

I wish this subject was put to bed as there is nothing more to discuss. It could be this or it could be that. I think that it is sufficiently safe to say that whatever it was, it was not a real UFO, or what is videotape regularly by earthlings and what are considered by the believers to be extraterrestrial crafts piloted by aliens. Prosaic explanations have been advanced, let's move on to other space mysteries.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This could, in theory, be worked out. At the time they asked the question they were looking back at quite a small half Earth. A geosynchronous satellite would have s very small window when it would be in the right place for this effect compared with the much nearer SIV-B.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   

were you then...as equally convinced as you are now, that you got it right ?

What would have you told me back than, if I had confronted about that explanation, and told you as a layman, that your explanation was false ?

So now we have a possible 3rd explanation...even though you said you "liked" the former explanation better, you seem to leave room that it should be reconsidered. But why consider other explanations since you and the entire NASA seem to "know"...it was a panel.

Are you now saying that you are not 100 % sure it was a panel ?

top topics

join