It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your bottled water making you ILL? There may be a surprising cause.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I just read this article and thought I would share it here as I myself am a fan of bottled water, and apparently it is lacking a vital source of magnesium.

Like many women, Ahlem Gamri was always sipping bottled water in an effort to drink the recommended eight glasses a day.
As a consultant in the oil and gas industry, who travels around the world, she kept a bottle in her handbag to drink on the move.
‘It’s common knowledge that drinking water is fundamental in maintaining health,’ she says.
But despite her best efforts to stay healthy, she was baffled when she began to suffer from a range of symptoms.
‘I felt bloated and wiped out, no matter how much sleep I got,’ says Ahlem, 37, from London.
‘I tried cutting out bread and exercised more in a bid to boost my metabolism and snap me out of it, but I still felt terrible. I had odd symptoms that would flare up and subside without warning — muscle aches, joint pain, dizziness, palpitations, nausea.’
For three years, she consulted endocrinologists, neurologists, gastroenterologists, rheumatologists and immunologists.
Every expert offered different solutions to the symptoms — but none could explain what was actually wrong.
‘It wasn’t until I saw naturopathic doctor Nigma Talib that I got any answers,’ says Ahlem. ‘After a battery of tests, she identified I had a magnesium deficiency.’

Surprisingly, drinking bottled water can cause it.
This little heard of deficiency is common among women, one survey found that one in ten suffers from it, but some experts cite figures as high as seven in ten and the effects can be devastating. From maintaining energy levels to steadying heart rhythm, regulating blood pressure and keeping bones strong, magnesium is vital for the body.

Symptoms of deficiency include agitation and anxiety, restless leg syndrome, sleep disorders, nausea and vomiting, abnormal heart rhythms, muscle spasm and weakness, hyperventilation, poor nail growth and even seizures.
And, disastrously, modern diets are not just lacking in magnesium — they actively deplete it.
The recommended daily intake for adults is 420mg for men and 320mg for women. Once this would have been easy to get from a mix of wholegrains, green leafy vegetables, nuts and meat. But intensive farming has seen the magnesium content in vegetables decline by as much as 80 per cent since 1950.

Low magnesium levels are difficult to diagnose. A blood test rarely helps as just 1 per cent of the body’s magnesium stores are found in blood. The rest is in our bones and muscles. Also, typical symptoms of magnesium deficiency are pretty common symptoms which doctors may dis-diagnose as something else, symptoms include - pain, fatigue, insomnia and muscle cramps.

I live in Northern Ireland now where absolutely everyone drinks the tap water whilst at home ( at least everyone I know) it's the same all over Ireland and the United Kingdom as far as I know, but I spent some time living in Washington DC in America where I was encouraged to only drink bottled water, the same for Florida when I visited, so I would be curious to see any studies on magnesium deficiency on this in the near future depending on where people live. I suppose tho on where they lack on the magnesium scale they would make up on the floride scale

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2755576/Is-bottled-water-making-ILL-From-nausea-exhaustion-osteoporosis-surprising-cause.html]link[/url ]
edit on 14-9-2014 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Magnesium deficiency in humans was first described in the medical literature in 1934. Wikipedia...

Of course the trillion dollar medical industrial corp do not want the average person healthy, maybe this is one of the main causes for many other symptoms that make Big pharma Big.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Text Blue

Yowsers...I have all those symptoms and I never drink bottled water!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I suppose tho on where they lack on the magnesium scale they would make up on the floride scale

Now that is just perfect. The water not containing magnesium that the body really need that keeping bones strong while adding something that is proven in higher doses cause Skeletal fluorosis (causes pain and damage to bones and joints).

Makes me think of Fibromyalgia. Maybe magnesium shortage is part of the reason Fibromyalgia occur.

Who Gets Fibromyalgia? Scientists estimate that fibromyalgia affects 5 million Americans age 18 or older.1 For unknown reasons, between 80 and 90 percent of those diagnosed with fibromyalgia are women; however, men and children also can be affected. Most people are diagnosed during middle age, although the symptoms often become present earlier in life.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

I'm not too sure how bottled water can be blamed for a magnesium deficiency, you'd probably need to drink hundreds of litres of water to get your daily intake.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I had severe heart palpitations for several months, usually in the morning for 3-5 hours. After a few months I went to the Dr. Told him it was hard to tell if the palpitations came first or if it wan a panic attack (the feeling is very similar). At the time I also reminded the Dr. I had a prolapsed mitral valve which can also cause palpitations. He gave me clonopin which worked at 1/2 mg every other day. After a few months I decided to check with a cardiologist. All was good and he offered a beta blocker which I refused.

I did some research and discovered a possible magnesium connection and started taking it. It stopped the palpitations but I had to take it every day or they came back. One day while I took my magnesium I realized I was taking it with bottled distilled water. A light bulb went off. I stopped the distilled water and kept with the magnesium using spring water and after a short while I no longer needed it. I had been using it in my cooking, coffee, tea, everything.

There are many articles saying distilled water is not a problem and I humbly disagree. I have not used magnesium regularly for months. However, I will take it when I go to the Dr. because it lowers my blood pressure. Otherwise, I forget most day.

Good post OP.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I remember when my X GF put the cats on bottled water thinking it would be good for them. All three were throwing up violently after two weeks.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Magnesium deficiencies are actually common in people, even in the USA. Most are minor deficiencies. Now if you are drinking eight glasses of water a day, then you could easily have a deficiency unless it is hard water that contains magnesium naturally. Now the endocrine disruptor's are in the plastic, actually they are found in many things. But I don't understand how the plastic bottle can cause magnesium deficiency. Just because I don't know how doesn't mean it does not cause it though.

Many foods contain magnesium, but we actually need quite a bit in our diets. It is hard to get actually, magnesium gets bound to phytates and many other food chemistry binds it also. Just because it is in the food doesn't mean it can be absorbed. The nutrition databases are flawed. There are a few out there that have true available mineral data but they are harder to find things in. Also, magnesium needs a few other minerals in balance to work properly and also some vitamins need to be consumed around the same time. If you look at your vitamin, magnesium is very low in these pills. The reason is that if you have bad renal function, magnesium levels can get too high. That can be a big problem also.

I don't like bottled water, it has a funny taste. I have tasted many kinds, none of them are good.
edit on 14-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
Text Blue

Yowsers...I have all those symptoms and I never drink bottled water!

You also have furry ears. That wasn't a symptom though.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Dasani is the worst, then Aquafina. Stick to Nestle Pure Life is you're going to drink bottled water. (Just look at the ingredients of each of them..)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Ive always told people that bottled water wasnt as good for you as tap water, eventhough its flouridated. bottled water, a lot of times is worse for you than tap, as a lot of minerals are removed in the process.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing, BPA issues are often talked about but not the lack of minerals. If your local water is just...nasty: Check and see which bottled water brand has fortified minerals, as I'd assume they are lost due to purifying the water.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnyhallows5211
Ive always told people that bottled water wasnt as good for you as tap water, eventhough its flouridated. bottled water, a lot of times is worse for you than tap, as a lot of minerals are removed in the process.

The biggest issue with bottled water isnt that it is lacking minerals, it's that petro-chemicals get into the water from the plastic bottle.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Did some research on this a while back as well...

The Dangers of Drinking Aquafina and Dasani Water - Google Search

Aquafina water is unsafe for human - Google Search

Coca-Cola's Dasani water found to contain alarming levels of cancer-causing chemicals

In one test performed by the Environmental Working Group, 38 low-level contaminants were found in bottled water, with each of the 10 tested brands containing an average of eight chemicals. Disinfection byproducts (DBPs), caffeine, Tylenol, nitrate, industrial chemicals, arsenic, and bacteria were all detected. The belief driving sales of bottled water is that it must be cleaner, and therefore healthier. But thats where weve all been fooled.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I actually was magnesium deficient. It's VERY hard to fix.

First you have to figure out that's your problem, and it's hard to figure out. I found out through researching myself, not through a doctor or other medical professional.

Then I had to get some magnesium supplements. Except there's several types of magnesium, and a person needs to know what kind to take, and how much.

Next there is absorbing the magnesium you do take. A body needs something called K2 in order to absorb magnesium properly, so if you don't have enough K2, you can take tons of magnesium but it's not absorbing right. Some will, but not all of it.

After all that, it takes MONTHS to get the levels corrected. Then, you can't ever stop supplementing.

But it fixes many problems.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
water from coca cola and nestle is just processed tap water!! its a scam and no wonder it makes people ill knowing those companies
get real spring water in glass bottles (best is deep spring)

a good natural souce of minerals are for example nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds,sesame seeds,hazelnuts,almonds,walnuts,peanuts
edit on 15-9-2014 by thevace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Fluoride can be found in bottled water, the FDA even has regulations regarding fluoride.
FDA Description & Regulation information

There is also interaction between Fluoride and Magnesium that reduces Mg intake.
Flouride-Magnesium Interaction

Personally I make and drink my own distilled water and take vitamins every day to offset the loss of missing minerals from distillation process, but it is the cleanest water. It is one of natures ways to purify water, that is what you see in dew on the ground in the morning.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: thevace
water from coca cola and nestle is just processed tap water!! its a scam and no wonder it makes people ill knowing those companies
get real spring water in glass bottles (best is deep spring)

a good natural souce of minerals are for example nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds,sesame seeds,hazelnuts,almonds,walnuts,peanuts

Coke uses a huge reverse Osmosis system to make soda, but Nestle pulls water from the great lakes and sends it to china.
ATS Thread

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Not really sure how bottled water could make you magnesium deficient. I have an RO system and have never had any of the symptoms mentioned. I don't rely on water for minerals though, that would be what food is for.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I have heard that bottled water ( pet plastics )-
Left in a car - ( reaching on the handbag thing ) - can leach some nasties.

Do not have a link at hand - but could be related ... ?

Fresh is best - wth all things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join