It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Allows Great Lakes Water To Be Sold To China As Half The U.S. Faces Extreme Water Cris

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

What in the world is Barack Obama thinking? At a time when the United States is facing the greatest water crisis that it has ever known, Obama is allowing water from the Great Lakes to be drained, bottled and shipped to China and other countries around the globe.

Right now, the Great Lakes hold approximately 21 percent of the total supply of fresh water in the entire world. Considering the fact that global water supplies are becoming extremely tight, that is an invaluable resource. One recent UN report projected that two-thirds of the people in the world will be dealing with “water stress” and 1.8 billion people will be facing “absolute water scarcity” by the year 2025. So why are we allowing foreign corporations such as Nestle to make millions upon millions of dollars pumping water out of the Great Lakes and selling it overseas? Considering the massive worldwide water crisis that we know is coming in the years ahead, shouldn’t we be doing everything that we can to protect this precious natural resource?

Now this article is from infowars so I don't how reliable it might be.

Also I don't know how much the president really has control of as far as the water goes. Maybe take this with a grain of salt.

“Plunging water levels are beyond anyone’s control,” says another expert, James Weakley. But in one of our most popular posts, last year we warned, “Lake Michigan water is being shipped by boat loads over to China! By using a little known loophole in the 2006 Great Lakes Compact, Obama minions are allowing Nestle Company to export precious fresh water out of Lake Michigan to the tune of an estimated $500,000 to $1.8 million per day profit.”

edit on 17-12-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: added

edit on 12/17/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Fixed misleading title.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Let's see. Obama is causing this, you say. The problem is that the shipping is happening under the 2006 Great Lakes Compact. And the President in 2006 was....... (drumroll please)...? So the whole premise of your post is a lie. A slanderous lie. And Nestle, the company doing the bottling, is a Swiss concern, not Chinese.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So I decided to see where Infowars is getting this information. The original article is here:
Obama Allows Great Lakes Water To Be Sold To China As Half The U.S. Faces Extreme Water Crisis

Which is a retyping of this article:
With Obama’s Blessing, Nation’s Water Supply Disappearing

Which is a rereporting of this article from last year:
Barack Obama’s war on America’s fresh water supply

Which is reporting this forum post from 2010:
CHINA'S DRAINING LAKE MICHIGAN?

Which is sharing this article/video (the video of which doesn't exist anymore):
Jesse Ventura and the Great Water Conspiracy

I'm going to say that this story is either bs or at the very least oversensationalized. For instance, the articles seem to be laying this at the feet of Obama, even though (according to the articles) it is Nestle doing this by taking advantage of a legal loophole so therefore, not the government.
edit on 17-12-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

It's been said for a long time that water is the new oil.

People are even having to pay fat cash to drill for water on land that they own. There even have been attempts to tax that water even if you own the mineral rights to the land.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
We sold everything else to the Chinese....

Why not the Great Lakes? I heard they we're looking for a new project.

Yes, building that "Great Wall" seems to be just a warm up.

Compared to emptying the Great Lakes one bottle at a time.

Sheesh...
edit on 17-12-2013 by whyamIhere because: High

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It is Nestle, NOT Obama. The hatred of a single man is so overwhelming for some that I have grown to find it incredibly amusing. If nothing else Rampant Obama Hatred people are easier to see (and avoid) then ever before.

Maybe you should look to some more mundane reasons (Republicans) as to why Nestle gets to sell water to China from out of the Great lakes.

Best thing about Obama becoming President is that it outed so many closet racists......

BTW I am not an Obama Fan, in fact I don't like him much at all. It is easy to find real reasons why I don't like him. No need to blame everything bad on him and him alone.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Funny how this wasn't a problem when Bush was in office and the boatloads of water started going to China. We had several water crisis back then as well. Why isn't anything being done to the companies and the states that allow them to do this? And if water is in such a shortage then why are people pushing for the Keystone pipeline to go through one of the largest aquqfilters in the country?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
I'm going to say that this story is either bs or at the very least oversensationalized. For instance, the articles seem to be laying this at the feet of Obama, even though (according to the articles) it is Nestle doing this by taking advantage of a legal loophole so therefore, not the government.

But its a legal loophole that has not been closed. Hence the Gov't can create revenue by taxing it. I think it benefits both Nestle and the Gov't.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

So is just about every other way corporations make money these days. Are we going to lay offshore tax havens, low wages, the derivatives market, and other things all at Obama's feet too?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don't understand why people would put this on the shoulders of Obama, he's a whore, bush was/is a whore, most Presidents were whores. They are a mere fabrication of the people behind pulling the real strings, this water deal has been going on for ages and this 'news' is just manipulated to fit a political agenda against Obama.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

So is just about every other way corporations make money these days. Are we going to lay offshore tax havens, low wages, the derivatives market, and other things all at Obama's feet too?

Just pointing it out. If you had the money to hire teams of lawyers to exploit loopholes, wouldn't you do it? Be honest.

People keep blaming corporations, but I blame the lawyers. They're the ones allowing all this to happen.

And where did I say that this was Obamas fault? I think the blame here can be spread pretty evenly all around.
edit on 17-12-2013 by TDawgRex because: ETA

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You are changing the subject. I said that you cannot lay this at Obama's feet not whether or not I would exploit loopholes given the opportunity.

You didn't bring it up, the article did. That is what I was addressing.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

You are changing the subject. I said that you cannot lay this at Obama's feet not whether or not I would exploit loopholes given the opportunity.

You didn't bring it up, the article did. That is what I was addressing.

Yep, you are right. this is more political posturing. But I don't think I was changing the subject at all. I'm a big picture guy and try to see connections (while at the same time trying to honest to myself...that's hard to do at times). If I had the money, I'm pretty sure that I would exploit loopholes as well.

We've all seen plenty of Anti-Obama articles that have slammed his admin and yet when the layers are peeled back, we see that the current events go waaaay back to other admins.

But the ONE common theme in almost everything regarding how screwed up things have become is...lawyers.
edit on 17-12-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
China is calling in it's debts.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Jesse Ventura and the Great Water Conspiracy

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Fracking

Gasland 2010

www.filmsforaction.org...

Gasland 2 2013

viooz.co...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
...who here would take a drink out of Lake Michigan?

Show of hands, please. Anybody? Bueller?

Let China drink deeply and frequently. They'll come to regret their decision when the serious health effects start manifesting themselves.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The article doesn't state how much water is being shipped to China. If it did I missed it. This seems like fear mongering to me. The lakes are vast. That can't even be quantified by gallons. The amount of water in the GL:

the total volume (measured at the low water datum) is 5,439 cubic miles (22,671 km)

en.wikipedia.org...

That said, if it WAS a problem I'm sure Canada would have something to say about this. Even with our White House ass kisser in charge.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

F4guy
Let's see. Obama is causing this, you say. The problem is that the shipping is happening under the 2006 Great Lakes Compact. And the President in 2006 was....... (drumroll please)...? So the whole premise of your post is a lie. A slanderous lie. And Nestle, the company doing the bottling, is a Swiss concern, not Chinese.

The funniest thing about threads like this, are the people are doing exactly what the point of the POTUS.

Hes that rascal we get to kick out every 4 years for ruining our country...

Damn we keep trying too, and they all seem to be #ing up, better luck next time between the two offered up escape goats the two Parties present us next time...

People who blame the President for everything are just sheep eating the medias droppings.

Sadly nothing changes until we the people stop this 2 party BS sham they have been running on us for years now.

Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama... and whose coming up next Bush and Clinton again...

The real crooks are the two Parties their Leadership, and all those incumbents who are set for life, with their own health care, setting their own raises, and the best part companies like Nestle get to bribe them to let them sell the nations assets whole sale.

Yep, all the POTUS fault...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
With distillation, and atmospheric water generators. Anyone saying, 'there is a 'water shortage' is selling snake oil to the most gullible.

Just a means to take more power.

70% of the Earth is water.

Most of it is recoverable.

Meh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join