It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids: Hindrance or Help in The Coming SHTF Times?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Kids will be an issue for many in the coming times I believe.

Is anyone actually wanting ww3 to begin? Let’s take a look at the pitfalls and benefits of having kids with you vs no kids when something finally happens:

If it happened right now, if you just got a flash bulletin from whatever source that ww3 just launched, what would your first thoughts be? These thoughts of course will vary between people and their personal finances, family, location, resources etc.

What would be your first action? Run? Hide in the basement? Join the masses in looting for survival gear/supplies? Wait it out as if nothing is happening?

The people with small children: If you are not prepared with a full tank of gas and more, a BOB and a plan of action for destination, food, water...you are screwed. You are at the mercy of anyone looking at your house as a potential supply store. You may have a gun but they may also have one...or two...or ten. You will be thinking of one thing, protect your family. This puts you at a disadvantage right away because you will also back down to keep them safe as we all would. What about the many single moms out there that can't afford to put together a BOB, has 1 or 2 small children and the crap kicks off. What can she do? What will you do to help?

No small children: A hell of a lot easier not just in movement or supplies but focus. No kids = no worries or stress for their food, safety, comfort etc. Sad but true that this is a better position to be in.

The people with teens and up: This could be a good thing or very bad.

The good? Extra help of course. Can they handle a weapon, hunt, fish, scrounge? Remember they also have a brain to think with and to come up with ideas that you might not think of. It happens!

The bad? They are teens. Indestructible, no fear of repercussions and in many cases no sense of their vulnerability, weaknesses. Critical thinking may not be their strong point and many young boys think they are the toughest thing around. Been there. Young teen girls present their own problems of course so no need to go into their safety from strangers.

This is a short observation but one that I have been thinking about for awhile. If one person reads this and has an a-hah! moment then it was worth it IMO.

Is ww3 coming? I believe so. If you do as well, prepare for yourself AND your kids. No kids? Well, prepare for yourself and remember that when you come across a family with kids, they are all our responsibility as humans...village and all.

So, any helpful tips from parents out there who can shed a light on ideas for the parents...bring it! I'm sure many will appreciate any and all advice to keep their little ones safe from harm.

Peace

edit on 13-9-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Kids are so brainwashed nowadays that they will probably double cross the family. The indoctrinations they use are powerful in this society. The funny part is, the ones who get us into messes aren't punished properly. There was a mayor in a town near here who embezzled a hundred grand from the KOCs and he just had to pay the money back and had no jail time. Now if someone without influence did that, they would go to prison for a year. The judge said he was not a candidate for the prison system. Why didn't he have to put in community service time on a low recognition job, like stocking the shelves of a food pantry. I suppose he would be running the food pantry and embezzling all the food if he was sent there. Maybe the Judge was worried he would embezzle money from the prison system.

These deceivers are training our kids.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

They're good eatin. No sauce required. Very tender.
Joking, but I'll teach my daughter how to survive and repopulate.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
without question, a hindrance.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Kids are loud, they talk, don't listen. Usually they don't plan for the future. Their thoughts can be broad and creative but panic, tantrums and the need for reassurance and safety undermines their usefulness in a survival situation.

Granted, there have been stories of children keeping a cool head during situations but it's rare.

Teens I can go either way. If they're very mature, independent and have useful skills they've honed to a precise certainty count them in. Wild childs, drinking, slacker, over-entitled teens can be a huge problem. Immature attitudes, sometimes prone to impulsive stupidity. A typical human on steroids of petulance.

Since they're so common or over-diagnosed, behavioral problems and disabilities create unique difficulties in TSHTF scenarios. Hyper active kids need activities but they're often loud and finding a way for them to chill out can be near impossible in lots of cases. Though I have known several handicapped kids who were always happy and if you calmly kept them occupied with stories or games they seem fine, I bet it would be hard to do that with all the work required when TSHTF.

Medication is another issue.

"Oh my dad's been preparing big time."
"Bet not as big as mine!"
"We have food for 3 years and lots of water."
"That's nothing. #%*@ loser. Bet you don't have a bunker."
"We have a small shelter."
"Prove it."
"Meet me at my place, 5 o'clock. I'll prove it's in my basement."

That was very cheesy and over exaggerated but shows how easy children can spill the beans in different ways.

Great post, S + F I often wonder how many parents are prepared to handle their kids when TSHTF. More so, how many have even considered it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Frankly I hope they don't make it...a quick death would be preferable to the kind of Hell they would live in. Survival is just an excess of pride.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

There are pros and cons to have a kid in that scenerio many of which vary by age. However, I will say this. Long term, who is going to take care of you as you age assuming you don't die before you get old? A kid would certainly help with that one aspect more then likely. Just a thought.

Your paying for your time to be taken of when you're old by investing that time in the child as you protect them in such a scenario. Your essentially saving up for retirement by taking care of a child in a world without a "normal" civilization wherein the elderly don't have things like nursing homes to help them presumably.
edit on 13-9-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Kids are loud, they talk, don't listen. Usually they don't plan for the future. Their thoughts can be broad and creative but panic, tantrums and the need for reassurance and safety undermines their usefulness in a survival situation.

Granted, there have been stories of children keeping a cool head during situations but it's rare.

Teens I can go either way. If they're very mature, independent and have useful skills they've honed to a precise certainty count them in. Wild childs, drinking, slacker, over-entitled teens can be a huge problem. Immature attitudes, sometimes prone to impulsive stupidity. A typical human on steroids of petulance.

Since they're so common or over-diagnosed, behavioral problems and disabilities create unique difficulties in TSHTF scenarios. Hyper active kids need activities but they're often loud and finding a way for them to chill out can be near impossible in lots of cases. Though I have known several handicapped kids who were always happy and if you calmly kept them occupied with stories or games they seem fine, I bet it would be hard to do that with all the work required when TSHTF.

Medication is another issue.

"Oh my dad's been preparing big time."
"Bet not as big as mine!"
"We have food for 3 years and lots of water."
"That's nothing. #%*@ loser. Bet you don't have a bunker."
"We have a small shelter."
"Prove it."
"Meet me at my place, 5 o'clock. I'll prove it's in my basement."

That was very cheesy and over exaggerated but shows how easy children can spill the beans in different ways.

Great post, S + F I often wonder how many parents are prepared to handle their kids when TSHTF. More so, how many have even considered it.

Very on point my friend.

Not all but a good many will fall into this category I believe.

It's the small ones that can be a problem as well tho. So much care needed that can take away from everyday survival by the parents. And yes, meds. Sad but true.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
Frankly I hope they don't make it...a quick death would be preferable to the kind of Hell they would live in. Survival is just an excess of pride.

One way of thinking and not wholly untrue.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: GrimReaper86

There are pros and cons to have a kid in that scenerio many of which vary by age. However, I will say this. Long term, who is going to take care of you as you age assuming you don't die before you get old? A kid would certainly help with that one aspect more then likely. Just a thought.

Your paying for your time to be taken of when you're old by investing that time in the child as you protect them in such a scenario. Your essentially saving up for retirement by taking care of a child in a world without a "normal" civilization wherein the elderly don't have things like nursing homes to help them presumably.

A good point.

They can definitely be an asset if they learn to mature very, very fast.

Otherwise, you might not need to think about your old age.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown

They're good eatin. No sauce required. Very tender.
Joking, but I'll teach my daughter how to survive and repopulate.

Teen meat might be just nasty!

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Don't let all the ipads and book-learnin fool ya, we are all cannibalistic sister raping bastards.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

When i was a kid i wasn't brainwashed easily till my early teens then i remembered back how hard life was for me and what struggles i had to face.

Westren kids are never taught the hardest lessons in life. Whatever its how to survive a war, murder, near death, or begging people for money on the streets in a western nation, they will never understand the pain of other children or how to survive a in The Coming SHTF Time or whichever event might.

They arent prepared. What i learned was all about Survival through pain.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

That's a half truth at best, there are plenty of hard ass american kids that would be just fine.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

The problem is they think they'll survive. They believe any person can become epic if they buy a North Face jacket, a backpack and download a survival manual off the net. That's MacGuyver.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

You are generalizing way too much, there are like 17 million kids living in poverty in the US. Many of them live in one of two specific environments, urban or country. Poor urban kids need to be tough just to survive in their own neighborhoods, poor country kids need to be tough to survive their parents/lifestyle.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Honestly, I believe children will be able to adjust to 'change' much more smoothly and quicker than most adults give them credit. I would be helping the children out, for they would be the future of mankind. Not me. It only takes 3 days for a child to subconsciously change a routine. An adult takes 3 weeks to do the same.

I know my 3 and 4 year old grandsons may only be able to carry one log of wood at this time, but they are eager to help! The want to constantly prove themselves. The grown ups tend to groan and are harder to keep them encouraged to work. They work, but bitch a heck of alot more. All enjoy a toasty fire and meal though, when the work is done. Lol.

Parents, don't tell your kids about the bunker if you have teenagers! Sheesh...they will want to show everyone how cool there are! The 'secret' has to be shared. You will find your food storage depleted and even empty beer cans in there on the day you need it, elsewise! Just don't tell them. They only need to know at the time it is needed and not before!
edit on 9 13 2014 by CynConcepts because: Personal clarification

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
Honestly, I believe children will be able to adjust to 'change' much more smoothly and quicker than most adults give them credit. I would be helping the children out, for they would be the future of mankind. Not me. It only takes 3 days for a child to subconsciously change a routine. An adult takes 3 weeks to do the same.

I agree.

But the younger ones will take away from the need to be on guard at all times don't you think?

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Perhaps for the first 3 days, while you establish set routine. Afterwards, you may find children are more observant than you regarding guarding. They are amazing when it comes to observation and knowing when someone has changed! Their innate curiousity may actually be your lifesaver!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Perhaps for the first 3 days, while you establish set routine. Afterwards, you may find children are more observant than you regarding guarding. They are amazing when it comes to observation and knowing when someone has changed! Their innate curiousity may actually be your lifesaver!

Got it.

But when you need to go out and get supplies and you have a 2 yr old child...take him/her with you?

Not the best approach I'd say.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join