It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids: Hindrance or Help in The Coming SHTF Times?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: allenidaho

originally posted by: douglas5
In a shtf senario it will be the kid's that we are hiding from , they will gather in pack's like dog's hunting down the adults to rob them using the little ones as bait to draw you in .

Children are a lot brighter than we give them credit for when pushed
glad i never had any of my own

Just throw an Ipad or Iphone onto the ground and run. No problem.

good thinking i can eat the sweet's and the puppy myself then

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

WW3 will moste like og through different stages before the Big Guns are going to be used.

The first thing some probably would want to check out is what kind of plan their government have for the different stages.

For some People leaving their home for a safer Place might not be possible do to Lock Down, rode Blocks and so on.
If Your car have a half a tank of fuel you might not be allowed to get more fuel.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
In a shtf senario it will be the kid's that we are hiding from , they will gather in pack's like dog's hunting down the adults to rob them using the little ones as bait to draw you in .

Children are a lot brighter than we give them credit for when pushed

glad i never had any of my own

Do you mean "any that you know of"? Ha ha ha.

It might be a good idea to add a few 5 gallon buckets of Jelly-Beans and Bon-Bons to the olde Prepper stash huh,you will need to bait the leg-hold traps hidden near the I-phones with a little something extra to take them over the top...yes kids are resourcefull survivors,good thing huh?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
It's all fun and games until my 11 uear old has you in the crosshairs.

Crack shot and not afraid to hunt.

Am I worried? Nope my defensive line is more beefy. Snipers nest is manned.

Excellent job,I was proficient out past 500 yards with a 303.British before that age,make sure you have active tactical scenarios worked out,and fall forward and back positions estabilished, I was taught to keep moving all the time,to Stop-and-Pop.Ya gotta have Rabbit Holes and learn how enemys interpret your incoming ordinance,it will be different every time,you need to learn to work with every little detail you can pull into your favor,how sound moves,how right and left handed people tend to react naturally when under stress and your incoming or peripheral pressure all the details you can think of.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Many good comments, I think anyone with kids has thought about it already though. I am of the opinion that WWIII will escalate and not just happen overnight. It might be hard to decide when it has actually started and when it is still just leading up to it. That is why you need to have a point when you decide to go to survival mode, better early than late as the Jews in Germany would have told you if they could.

Here is my quandary, though I already know what I will do: after the illuminati engineered war and other global crises, when they have terrorized the soft living masses enough, and they propose the solution.... what are you going to do? Are you going to accept the OWG and receive the rations and "privilege" of surviving, or are you going to say NO to tyranny? What about how this will affect your kids? What about the pressure from your family and friends who are still alive and have accepted the help of the OWG, "for the sake of your kids, why do they have to live like this"?

Revelation 13:16 All people were forced to put a mark on their right hand or forehead. Whether they were powerful or weak, rich or poor, free people or slaves, 17 they all had to have this mark, or else they could not buy or sell anything. This mark stood for the name of the beast and for the number of its name.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

This occupies my thoughts regularly. I'm grateful to be out of the stage where I have babies in diapers.

Train your children,not in the militaristic sense, but teach them how to be a self sufficient human being. My almost four year old son is already an outdoorsman, he's also an avid fisherman. He's obviously not alone out there, but he has already picked up invaluable skills in his young life. My almost nine year old son is becoming proficient outdoors. He can start a fire with a steel and magnesium stick, he can confidently identify edible berries and a few other edibles and he even caught his first halibut this year entirely by himself.

Now on to the fact that they are little kids, and noisy over confident boys at that. My youngest has the problem of over confidence at three. During the spring when the local mama bear woke up he had to stay inside more when I was too busy to be out there with the boys. He went and found a stick and says " mama, it's okay, I'll take care of that bear for you." The scary part is that he was serious, so we had our "the bear will eat you" conversation. He is rambunctious and loud, he's a sweetheart, but all boy. My eight year old is very capable, but a dreamer type who has serious focus issues. Following directions is a problem, and that causes issues if you are trying to bug out.

We are set up to stay home if possible during any emergency, but are capable of leaving fast if needed. It's much easier to stay home if possible with young ones. Keeping them warm, fed and quiet are difficult otherwise. If you are planning on bugging out with little kids make sure you have some things to occupy them with, as well as some sort of comfort item. Get them involved too, if they have some say on what goes into their bag then they take ownership of it and the idea behind it. I'm not talking about frivolous things either, letting them pick which fleece blanket or what pairs of socks they would like to add in helps.

Kids can be a help and a hindrance all in one fell swoop. I have seen a small herd of kids produce a respectable pile of firewood in a matter of minutes. I have also watched them polish off enough food to feed my family for a week. We are lucky to still have wild resources around us and I'm confident that we could provide for a group of people with a group of people.

Other people will end up being vital. We can't hunker down in our basements forever. We need to be able to protect ourselves, but we should also remember what it is to be human. Enough people have turned into animals. I know it's not possible for people to stock enough food for multiple families, but together we can make more food than I can by myself. Those single mothers that you mentioned will be welcome here. Everyone who shows up on my doorstep will have a chance to prove their worth, but I will not turn away hungry kids. Just like I would never turn away my elderly neighbors. Everyone has value regardless of age, sex, race or creed. People are resilient and can adapt. Children are the best adapters that we have. They are our link to a brighter future.

Let's start teaching our kids to love and be aware of the world instead of pigeon holing them into a box. Let's counteract the inhumanity of children holding severed heads and teach our children to be that counter measure of light. Let's also arm them with the abilities to protect themselves and think for themselves. Maybe we can guide them to be the answer to some of the world's issues, without hate and death.

Sorry if I'm rambling. Like I said this occupies my mind a lot, and your OP asks a lot. It's not simple if you have little ones to take care of. Every child, regardless of when or where they are brought into the world, deserves to be brought up safe, loved and educated. My heart cries daily for the little ones in the midst of the turmoil right now. I honestly wish I could shelter them all. I know it's about as irrational as hoping they all die for their own good.

No matter what happens, we will continue to strive to be good human beings first and foremost. We will help when and where we can. We will continue to learn and grow, and I will feed every hungry munchkin I can get my hands on.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
As far as feeding others, here is something I have been thinking of. We have daily rations, we share them with one other person each, any more people and it wont be enough to do either of us any good.

If they demand more rations by force then you have a different problem, explain that you have a rule that you only use what you have set aside for this day and that the other stuff will be for tomorrow, meanwhile we get busy acquiring more food as best we can. Maybe offering to share what you have for today might make them think twice before shooting you and your family dead. If they do shoot us all dead, at least I haven't turned in to an animal like they have and I don't live my life in fear. A life lived in fear is not lived at all. I know where I am going anyway. So whilst I dont sit back and wait for God to feed me manna from heaven I am not going to start killing other people for my own survival.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

[post is from an explicitly Christian viewpoint; apologies to non-Christian readers. I will cease the citations after this post and return to the theme of the thread.]

Well, if it's THE END, then there's not a whole lot to say. But we are warned that "there will be wars and rumors of wars, but the end its not yet." (Matthew 24:6) This means that going into a particular emergency, you don't know how big of a deal it will turn out to be. So while I prepare for small scale disasters, there is always the thought that I may be entering my own personal "END" time and ultimate trial. I am not worried about that; even if it goes poorly, it won't go on for long, since Paul writes "No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Now, with all of that said, I am not about to begin preying on the weak to feed my people (Proverbs 1:8-19). On the other hand, I will be ready to stand in and, um, mete out justice, on a local level. I probably have more in common with Judge Roy Bean than with Chief Justice John Roberts.

Just sayin'

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i think we should have lots of kids...makes for a bigger family and then train them how to shoot and teach them extreme survival skills. that way you end up with a bigger gang. especially if you team up with families who have done the same as you.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: taoistguy
i think we should have lots of kids...makes for a bigger family and then train them how to shoot and teach them extreme survival skills. that way you end up with a bigger gang. especially if you team up with families who have done the same as you.

That has been my philosophy for almost 2 decades now. The only warning I'd give is that you have to enjoy kids even if the end of the world doesn't come in your lifetime. I have discovered that I enjoy a family meal at home with all my kin than any of the things I gave up to get here. I treasure working with my children, and love to watch them grow and learn things for themselves.

Personally, I think "chores" makes a youth sober and mindful. Gardening keeps all of us in shape, and teaches how the 'real world' operates. Caring for animals can help them gain a caring heart. And taking a kid hunting brings out the very best in them. Funny how they can suddenly pay attention for an hour when it means the difference between going hunting or just staying home and watching TV.

I think kids grow well when you are involved in them every day. Growing up with prepper parents has got to be a lot more fun than being a latch-key child of divorce and corporate cube-culture. I'd have given anything to go fishing and hunting as much as my kids do! (That's probably how I ended up living this way, and rejecting the big-city ways of my own parents).

Raising well-disciplined kids is its own reward.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

exactly.if they grow up on cartoons and fast food then thy can't do anything. but if they learn to hunt, set traps, wire a plug, plaster a wall and can plumb and sew up wounds then they can survive in a world gone craz and help deend the amily when we all turn on each other. skills is skills afterall. martial arts is also a must.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Great Question,

I love my children 2 1/2 and 6 months.
Would it make things a lot harder. Yes, scenario and area depending.

I will do everything in my power to keep them alive and with me.

My Fiance on the other hand has no idea if she would even want to attempt to live in that sort of world.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Kids would be a hindrance, sadly. If it was WW3, having to keep kids safe would be a huge detriment to overall survival. Also, depending on age, they can also give your position away if they make noise.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Nobody in his/her right mind thinks of their children as a hindrance.

In a shtf scenario if my children don't make it I don't make it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join