It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids: Hindrance or Help in The Coming SHTF Times?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Do any of you that have posted have kids?

I do and they are by no means an hindrance yeh the 10yr olds an iPad addict but I've taught him how to fish so he can at least catch food

And my lil one is only 6weeks so obviously needs more attention but growing up in a SHTF type situation he would be moulded into a survivor from the start

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Kids/babies are always a hindrance in a shtf scenario. Women usually get stuck keeping them alive in war/shtf situations 9/10 based on history.

Teenagers are just young adults and while the modern western teen might be full of it they would quickly wake up in the face of a hard reality. You see this the most with homeless teens from abusive homes. They are very good at surviving and generally have good health even when the situation is very bad.

edit on 13-9-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thefarmer

I do and they are by no means an hindrance yeh the 10yr olds an iPad addict but I've taught him how to fish so he can at least catch food

And my lil one is only 6weeks so obviously needs more attention but growing up in a SHTF type situation he would be moulded into a survivor from the start

Many here have kids so you are not alone my friend.

The only thing to wish is that it doesn't get too bad in your area. It will be difficult with the kids. Impossible? No. Just difficult.

Never be afraid to ask for help tho. We'll all need it in one form or another.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

When my children were young, we were homeless living out of our truck in the northwest and rocky mountains. I hiked with an infant in a front pack and my 2 year old in a back pack for kids. You always keep your gun pointed down and the safety on. As with all scenarios, be prepared. At this point, I no longer have that type of hardware. Yet, I now know how to use and weave paracord to create what I need if necessary now. As always, online tutorials are your friend in being prepared. Get excited and explore the world of crafting the old fashion ways. No technology, just your hands and ingenuity!
edit on 9 13 2014 by CynConcepts because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

When my children were young, we were homeless living out of our truck in the northwest and rocky mountains. I hiked with an infant in a front pack and my 2 year old in a back pack for kids. You always keep your gun pointed down and the safety on. As with all scenarios, be prepared. At this point, I no longer have that type of hardware. Yet, I now know how to use and weave paracord to create what I need if necessary now. As always, online tutorials are your friend in being prepared. Get excited and explore the world of crafting the old fashion ways. No technology, just your hands and ingenuity!

Great advice.

Thanx...

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

The only thing to wish is that it doesn't get too bad in your area. It will be difficult with the kids. Impossible? No. Just difficult.

Peace

We live in a very close knit estate where everyone know everyone and it's quite a ruff council estate and I think if the situation would arise where it goes bad we wouldn't do bad together

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I must take one more quick moment to gloat...being a proud grandma. My 4 yr old is great at tying knots so I showed him how to put that skill to use when I made safety nets for his rope bridge on his playhouse. He now can separate a paracord and make his own fishing nets! I wanted to add this as adults, one should be observant of children's skills and encourage them. It is amazing what they really can do! Never think they are too young...they just haven't been taught!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Peace

We live in a very close knit estate where everyone know everyone and it's quite a ruff council estate and I think if the situation would arise where it goes bad we wouldn't do bad together

Good...

Anyone thinking they can go it alone is a walking corpse IMO.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FinalCountdown

Joking, but I'll teach my daughter how to survive and repopulate.

Phrasing! LANA!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Ellie - The Last of Us

Clementine - The Walking Dead

True, these are fictitious video game representations of kids in an apocalyptic setting (zombies, well because it's a video game).

But I think the games portray how kids would most likely adapt to the current state of affairs (not all of course, but then not all adults are going to adapt for the greater good as well).

We as a species are adaptive by nature, so I don't think kids would take long to catch on. In the early stages of whatever the SHTF event was I could see not only kids of all ages being a hinderance, but most adults would be too.
edit on 9/13/2014 by UberL33t because: pesky typos

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think some posters don't have much experience with actual children, or with actual group prepping. Do you guys see yourselves as ninjas, to the point where anyone else except an active duty marine is a drain on your resources, and will slow you down?

I have a large family with many children, stair-stepping form teenager on down. We also have elderly; 75+. We will take everyone with us, and provide for all. You would be lucky, or rather blessed, to be in as well-honed a group as ours. The guiding rule is that everyone has something to contribute; we help when one of us needs help, because one person's victory is the group's victory.

Grandparents can tend the fire.

Even toddlers can help gather firewood, or rushes for the "mattress".

Above age 8, a normal child who has been raised well can be trained to handle a light firearm and keep watch over a position during the day while someone else is napping. They can use a radio to confirm how things are back at camp.

Age 10 and up can follow a recipe and cook over an open fire safely.

A twelve-year-old can drive a pickup as soon as she is tall enough to reach the pedals, and it's low speed.

Someone took a buck by himself at age 12, stalking to within 50 yards so he could take a confident shot.

Is a child a hindrance? Well, everyone is a hindrance at some point. Even you. If you have a toothache, or the runs, you aren't much use, either. Now by definition, children have fewer skills and less endurance than adults. But if they have NO USE, it is because you aren't making use of their abilities right, and aren't training them.

My kids (and grandparents!) are already trained. They would be more useful than the average American, I'm convinced.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
I think some posters don't have much experience with actual children, or with actual group prepping. Do you guys see yourselves as ninjas, to the point where anyone else except an active duty marine is a drain on your resources, and will slow you down?

I have a large family with many children, stair-stepping form teenager on down. We also have elderly; 75+. We will take everyone with us, and provide for all. You would be lucky, or rather blessed, to be in as well-honed a group as ours. The guiding rule is that everyone has something to contribute; we help when one of us needs help, because one person's victory is the group's victory.

Grandparents can tend the fire.

Even toddlers can help gather firewood, or rushes for the "mattress".

Above age 8, a normal child who has been raised well can be trained to handle a light firearm and keep watch over a position during the day while someone else is napping. They can use a radio to confirm how things are back at camp.

Age 10 and up can follow a recipe and cook over an open fire safely.

A twelve-year-old can drive a pickup as soon as she is tall enough to reach the pedals, and it's low speed.

Someone took a buck by himself at age 12, stalking to within 50 yards so he could take a confident shot.

Is a child a hindrance? Well, everyone is a hindrance at some point. Even you. If you have a toothache, or the runs, you aren't much use, either. Now by definition, children have fewer skills and less endurance than adults. But if they have NO USE, it is because you aren't making use of their abilities right, and aren't training them.

My kids (and grandparents!) are already trained. They would be more useful than the average American, I'm convinced.

There it is...

Well Done!

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The only thing worth fighting for is the children.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
My daughter is now 2 years old. If disaster were to strike tomorrow, she would be a hindrance. But children such as her are the future. So if we aren't trying to keep them alive and teach them to survive, everything you do will ultimately be pointless.

My daughter can walk. She can carry a water bottle. She is somewhat potty trained. She doesn't eat much. That's about it. There isn't really anything she could do to contribute to a survival situation. I know that. I accept that.

Which is why I have prepped for a bug-in situation where we shouldn't have to leave our remotely located home for any reason if the SHTF.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Don't forget the mental side of surviving a SHTF scenario..

People always seem to say dump the kids and dump the pets, over looking the normalcy a resilient kid, or pet can bring which can help you stay level mentally. I don't know about yall but when I am heavily stressed my cat sleeping on my chest puts me to sleep easily.. or my dogs cuddling help calm me down.

Or a little kid being a kid and making you laugh... all these things help bleed some stress off helping you sleep and focus better... at least in my opinion.

The other aspects have already been covered.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
In a shtf senario it will be the kid's that we are hiding from , they will gather in pack's like dog's hunting down the adults to rob them using the little ones as bait to draw you in .

Children are a lot brighter than we give them credit for when pushed

glad i never had any of my own

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
children are often much more emotionally resilient that adults, when it comes to surviving traumatic stress. They tend to accept the reality of extreme situations quicker than adults who have a "this can't be happening" response to the unexpected.

I think I read somewhere that they can survive malnutrition better than adults (although with permanent life-long scarring). That may be due to cultural factors (soldiers being reluctant to target women and children, etc), but it makes sense that those cultural factors would hold true in the wake of future disasters as well.

Children tend to be more flexible in refugee situations, long after adults just 'give up.' They learn new languages and can assimilate better than adults can, when fleeing to a new nation.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

I have a 2 year old and I think that the biggest hinderance will be the 2-5 year gap. It is the constant arguing and streaks of independance. If the child is a newborn (unless they have cholic) they can be kept relatively quiet and they are easy to bring around. at 2 the child begins to get heavy enough to be difficult to carry and they fight you on everything.

If SHTF I would probably be screwed. Im only 21 anyways...I have a lot of experience for my age but I couldnt defend my family against a group of 10, maybe 5 but not 10. The marine crops taught me to be strong but life taught me to be realistic.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It's all fun and games until my 11 uear old has you in the crosshairs.

Crack shot and not afraid to hunt.

Am I worried? Nope my defensive line is more beefy. Snipers nest is manned.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
In a shtf senario it will be the kid's that we are hiding from , they will gather in pack's like dog's hunting down the adults to rob them using the little ones as bait to draw you in .

Children are a lot brighter than we give them credit for when pushed
glad i never had any of my own

Just throw an Ipad or Iphone onto the ground and run. No problem.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join