It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Glassening: Reprecussions of Nuclear War in the Mid-East

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Like most americans, you are probably sitting or listening in on Obama's speech about what he plans to do with IS. A good bunch of you are upset that he's interrupting a primetime show with his blather, and I feel you. But I ask of you all to consider the situation, which I will offer you through my point of view, of which i have chaotic neutral alignment
:

It's firmly established that IS and it's "parent" group al-Qaida are bad news. I don't like them, you don't like them, everyone here hates them with a passion, and everyone has different views on how they should be dealt with. As i tend to lurk mor than post, i come across the odd comment that the entire Middle East should be nuked ane either wiped off the map or 'made into glass'.

Extreme and hyperbolic, yes, but let us assume that the US exhausts it's other options and decides to drop the BigOne (or a certain other country with nuclear capabilities decides to push the big red button in the name of defense...Blisrael...). Let's posit that is is a strong bomb, say a couple of peacemakers, target the main strongholds of IS, bang boom, done.

All is good right? We won USA USA bald eagles flying in f-16s powered by beer and apple pie while Washington and Lincoln double wield M-16s that shoot red white and blue firework bullets?

Unfortunately I, plus sane people, would vehemently disagree. Why you ask?

Point One- Collateral damage of the innocents: Think back to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. these targets were chosen because of their importance to Imperial Japan. The bombs dropped, they turned into fireballs. Americans cheered....until we saw the pictures of the aftermath. People literally falling apart, and of course they were not military elite, but ordinary men, women and children making a life for themselves. Now take that and raise it to hundreds of thousands to millions, (a rough estimate). Sure we got the bad guys, but so many others would suffer. Also, unlike Japan, areas in the Middle East are very limited in resources, even with extra aid from other countries.

Point Two- Fallout, Not just a game series: Alright, so US nukes Mid-East to crush IS and other threats. Many innocent people die, but we write it off as collateral damage, maybe feel like dicks and send a couple Red Cross units. Everything should be fine now, right?
Wrong.
I'm sure more educated members can explain this more, but as I tend to remember from the entry in my 1985 encyclopedia, there is something called fallout and it travels EVERYWHERE. Case in point, when Fukushima pooped its pants (according to the animated Japanese infographic) the whole site was inundated with maps showing how radiation from the crippled nuclear plant was gonna blow over the west coast and turn it into Mad Max scenario. For older, European members, you may also remember Chernobyl and the rustling of jimmies when fallout came from there. Presuming that only one general area was bombed, and how the wind currents are, some of our allies might be getting some radioactive nastiness i.e. Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Iraq, Iran, parts of Egypt and Saudi Arabia. And by taking an account how babies born with defects have risen in the areas due to depleted uranium exposure, imagine the numbers after a hypothetical nuking.

Point three- Were we really better than them?: People are dead and dying, those who lived are going to be mutants, and not the good X-Men type, and some of our friends are getting sloppy seconds from the fallout. We're still awesome USA, bastion of Freedom still?
Let's return to 1945, where the war has ended and America nukes her way into the top spot. Some countries fear us, othe countries want to be us. We are riding that gravy train to the future and setting the best example, we are the mould! Lest you forget that Earth in 1945, is made up of both wartorn and developing countries, thus making America, and in retrospect England and Soviet Union, the Big Kahuna.
It's now 2014, and America is still tops, but other countries like China and India are edging in. Add to that all the scandals that had happened, America is looking more li,e a washed up actor in the global arena, reliving the glory days hard. 1945 America was a beast, but more countries have gained nuke properties, and thanks to non-proliferation treaties, mutually assured destruction is not in the cards. But if the US nukes, I believe we would be shunned by the rest of the world and crumble to dust like the Romans.

To conclude, this is just my take on the matters at hand, as i am no diplomat or political scientist. But i am a concerned young person who will be inheriting this trainwreck of a planet if everything goes to pot.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

I have thought of this a bit also, well in parellel at least.

I hope for the big one now, Russia, China, USA and everyone else 'poof'! All out let's go.
The entire world is a disaster, except for a few smaller countries and even they are not that great because they have one of the big 3 as friends.

So if I survive the nuclear conflagration that ensues, I can only hope things will be better after, because at the rate things are going now they can't get any worse. I'll live in a teepee and farm radioactive crops and animals, just like we eat now.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm not really concerned about such a scenario coming about. If it should, I don't think the U.S. will be involved. It would be more likely to come from within that area, that is to say, another middle eastern country.

You know we never mention our nukes. I guess their presence goes without saying. A very looming silence. However, Putin doesn't mind talking about his. Makes you wonder.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

I hope for the big one now

I laughed, sorry chic. Childish.

Anyway OP good luck in the future, there'll be little left over if nuclear war starts which you guys get to clean-up.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

The middle east will be the start. Chain reaction.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I have to agree with you as well. I just took the murrican view because that's what i gatered from those posts mentioning nuking Mid-East.

There will be no surprise if a certain country that shall not be named decides to 'swing their uranium peepee' around to prove something. For what reason we don't know and if they do everyone pays for it

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Nuclear is an end all game. Nobody's a winner.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CHinauser
That thing called MAD Mutually Assured Destruction
Is no longer in effect, as the President of the United States has shown himself time and time again to only willing to issue threats with no effect
If nukes fly, none will come from the US
That said
I believe I have time and time again said if you remove the 'holy' land from the game then there will be nothing to fight over
Let God have it, let it become truly holy in that God would be the only one able to inhabit it
Imagine all the lives that will be saved in the long run

jus saying

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

I hope for the big one now, Russia, China, USA and everyone else 'poof'! All out let's go.

Actually that is pretty funny!
If I was a celebrity they would be using that whole line to call me a sex addict or something else.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
S&F

Time to educate people...

You're doing it my friend!

I've often read the 'turn it to glass' vitriol...
It's disgusting & sick to say the least!

& these people know that children, women, pregnant, young & old, pensioners, righteous men who just defend and support their families, will be among the destruction...
& yet their hearts tell them that to glassify the area is a good idea...

Maybe they cannot be taught a thing, now that I think about it!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Right because the ongoing sensless wars and battles that murder women children and pregnant women are so just and right in the name of Allah

End it now, and save lives of the future

Peace in Glass

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So nuke the men, women & children to save the men, women & children...

What an imbecilic reply!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Yupp cause the way things are going now are so awesome
soon sharia will help us all remove the unmarried pregnant women and girls who think they should go to school and boys who don't think murdering the infedels is necessary

The ME is a mess and its coming to a country near you soon

SOON

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcouncil=wisdom

Aside from Syria & Iraq the Middle East is relatively free of conflict...
& it's ISIS causing problems in both of those countries...

Where is the mess...
Afghanistan is rebuilding, Iran is stable, Israel & Palestine are trying to work things out, Saydi Arabia is free of war, Lebanon is also fighting ISIS in Syria...

The region is being brought together due to a threat to all...

But you'd rather destabilise all this hard work and just nuke them indiscriminately...

Well done on mongering fear as well...
ISIS won't get near a country near me...
Unless I go to Iraq or Syria...

Enlighten me as to how ISIS will breach the defences of the Worlds strongest military here in the West?
Seeing as it's going to happen "soon"...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
US to pull out of Afghanistan later this year
This should certainly add to stability in the ME (sic)

yes I do say "glass it" tongue in cheek but the way things are going religious rule in the ME is going to bring more suffering in the future than what we have ever imagined or could be thought of now
So if that would be stopped now, with the cost of many lives, it will save many many more lives in the future

I believe that to be a FACT
X

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I don't take anyone who suggests nuking the Middle East as a solution seriously. Those people aren't worth talking to since they don't care to seriously think about what they are saying or real solutions and just went to the overkill option because "USA USA!"

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Why didn't we have a war movement when 4 Americans died in Benghazi?

Yet we bang the drums of war when two journalists die.

This is a media-generated war. The solution and conclusion will not be real-world applicable, but it'll look good on the television.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
So nuke the men, women & children to save the men, women & children...

What an imbecilic reply!

Finally somebody else noticed this! I hear it all the time 'bout the women and children'. Since when are men completely expendable? Save the Men!!! (I like 'em).

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Indeed, imagine the ratings if we have all cameras pointed to the mid-east when the mushroom cloud rises.

That's why i keep away from msm. Everthing's a money grab

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: EA006

Actually that is pretty funny!
If I was a celebrity they would be using that whole line to call me a sex addict or something else.

A famous nymphomaniac architect?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join