It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new $10 an hour American economy!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Why is nobody holding these liberal run colleges accountable? Why can they be allowed to hand out useless degrees? Gender studies? Yeah I saw an add in the paper looking for a person trained in gender studies.. Lol

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: SubTruth

It's really hard to leave the nest it's expensive just to afford gas and food alone.

I've lived away from home for ten years mind you.

Saw a show long ago about an area of Russia, I believe, that had the highest rate of folks over say 95 years old to 105, per capita in the world.

The age was another issue to this thread, but what was interesting was that these families had like 4 generation living in them. Here was 100 year old man lying in bed, infirmed, with a baby walking around.

Point is, in this country anyway, the way we live, not very communally, makes us subject to an individual higher cost of living. Don't really know how much of it I could stand personally, but it looks like a economical option to have several of the kids and their spouses living under the same roof with rent being the main drain on everyone's income.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Part of the progressive agenda was to push college as the only choice for success.....This is a lie. It flooded the marketplace and many young adults are not even working in the field they got a degree in.

Add on top of that the I am too good for that attitude because my parents always told me I was a winner. This is also part of the progressive mindset conditioning. Many young people are not even leaving the nest well into adulthood. Go into a mountain of debt you will never be able to pay back because the degree you earned is worthless. The plan worked and truth be told it will never change.

You are full of crap. Most young people aren't leaving the nest because they cannot afford to because of the debt that you JUST outlined and the crappy jobs that they aren't getting. I'm getting really tired of old people calling my generation lazy. The reason we can't get jobs is because YOU people won't retire. The baby boomers are the biggest generation and since they can't retire and are taking up more and more service jobs, it's squeezing out the younger crowd.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You might not be lazy, but our generation sure the hell is! I'm 38 and know more slackers than I care to.

I can't have a conversation with the vast majority of people my age because they are set in their, "the world owes me a living and it damn well better be a good one" ways.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Answer to Subtruth:- What do you want? Take the clock back 100 years. You underlings only have kids to work for the elites and as cannon fodder for our wars. What do you tell your kids" you were born a sh** in a sh** family so don't you ever try to rise above your allotted station". The children need to better themselves, even with a worthless degree otherwise you fall back into the premise that they are better than you and you are only born to this world to serve them.
Answer to Britgut:- Your wrong. They don't ship jobs overseas now for cheaper labour costs. That problem has been solved. They ship the cheap labour over here to fill your jobs, hence masses of immigrants from low paid countries. Haven't you noticed all the immigrants don't come from affluent countries?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Why is nobody holding these liberal run colleges accountable? Why can they be allowed to hand out useless degrees? Gender studies? Yeah I saw an add in the paper looking for a person trained in gender studies.. Lol

What difference does it make when there are NO Jobs?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: onequestion

His problem is he got an Environment Science degree. That's very limiting. Like the girl I know working under the table as a chambermaid because she got into tens of thousands of dollars in debt for a degree in....

archaeology.

People need to THINK before they enroll in college, take on debt, and pick something that doesn't leave a wide range of options.

My cousin is doing fine in his current job as an.....

archaeologist.

Working for mining companies in Australia.

Though he is now also working at getting a degree in....

Geology.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

Our entire planet is upside down and backwards. We have a continent sized raft of garbage floating around the pacific, and you think a degree in environmental science is worthless.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

Our entire planet is upside down and backwards. We have a continent sized raft of garbage floating around the pacific, and you think a degree in environmental science is worthless.

No.. just worth a crap ton of college loan debt.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I know it is a government job but people in need of money should become police officers.

I see a lot of the same people on ATS complain about two things, not having a job/money and police abuse/corruption.

Well to those I say become a police officer. Make $36k a year and help change policing for the better! Two birds, one stone right.

A lot of departments will pay for you to go back to school too. Get your degree and then join the private sector.

Win, win. Any takers?

I know America needs to bring back manufacturing and create more private sector jobs. Just saying.
edit on 9-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Spot on Logarock, I see many countries have what looks like a system in place... Once you finish school you leave for higher education eventually become in a relationship then move in together etc. Many people tend to have this all before they are even 25. I for one moved out at 15 and realized how much more costs there are with only my own income to support me.

Speaking of sharing the load, it can be done and still have a lifestyle many have today with less cost.

My Mrs is one of 5 siblings and her Parents demolished the family home and made 12 Apartments in the same plot of land. Sold 1 penthouse which covered the cost of the demolition/construction. Then put 5 flats for rent and gave a flat to each of their children. And themselves living in the remaining Penthouse. There is still a loan of course as it was a big project but my Mrs and her siblings only have to pay back a 10th of the price of each apartment. Because of the spare 5 apartments being rented out, the Parents were able to pay off the Loan in 2 years. Now they are living very comfortably.

I know not everyone can do this, obviously need a house first! How I see it is this has been happening for a long time now... Where I live, Houses were 10x less in price 50 years ago. They will most likely be 10x More expensive in 50 years time. Some one needs to do the sacrifice, to scrimp and save and try to pull themselves out. Once you have the ball rolling you can change It all. Then it is easier for the next generation and so forth.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

And what do Environmental Scientists command in the job market....for pay.

Seems like he might have chosen poorly, when deciding on what degree to go for.

In my state, and many others, the economy is doing just great.

Seems yet again that people need to move to where the jobs are.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

SO your mad at who again, for your chosen career not paying what it used to??

Seems that YOUR chosen career was a bad choice.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is All Very Good Unity,. But The fact of the matter is that America is infested with a lot of people who don't like Americans. They will just take our kindness and us for a ride and are waiting in the wings for a crash, so they can buy up our whole country for pennies on the dollar. In other words we as a people should have been much more careful of The Vultures we allowed to enter this Once Fine Country of Ours. Peace
Arjunanda a reply to: Unity_99

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Richn777

The problem is that minimum wage is not a LIVING WAGE.

Making $8/hr counts as making more than minimum wage. However, even working 40 hrs a week (although many companies now claim anywhere from 32-36 hr weeks as full time), that's only $320/wk BEFORE any taxes or insurance or whatever else comes out of it. So before any deductions, a full time job @$8/hr makes you $1280/month. If you're lucky enough to only spend $600/month on rent and live on bare necessities, that leaves you the other half to pay electric, gas, water, and eat. Since many jobs require you to have reliable transportation and a phone to be reachable, you have to add in fuel, possible car payment, and a phone bill.

That full time, above minimum wage job breaks down and paints a pretty grim picture doesn't it? Since full time jobs are hard to find, imagine having to work 2 of those $8/hr jobs and still not making ends meet.

ETA: For the record, no, I don't believe that a minimum wage hike is going to fix the problem. I think that there are too many runaway factors and practices in play for a living wage to even be possible nowadays. I see a living wage for the majority as being an unattainable myth.
edit on 9/9/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Environmental science is actually a pretty solid degree. The environment is becoming more and more of a focus and people always need clean water.

I know lots of people that recent got fairly practical degrees that can't find work. Everyone I know, all getting varying degrees, are all now going back to school to be nurses. All of them.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have a bachelors in construction management and 30 years commercial construction experience.

Bids come in all the time with labor matching union wages from nonunion shops.
Non union shops in my town do not pay these wages.
When it was at its worst non union shops were still bidding wages at union standards but were actually paying their guys $15-$12 an hour instead of the $33.65 they should have been paid.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
End Corporate Welfare, Boycott Greed!

Zuckerberg Pushes Amnesty at Carlos Slim Event in Mexico

edit on 9-9-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

You sir deserve an applause.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Maltese5Rhino

I know of some Cambodian folks that came over here some years back. About 5 families lived in one house each getting a room ect ect.

Well to skip right ahead, the combined efforts of paying off the house as fast as they could, then they bought another and half the lot moved into this home with all parties still paying, those in the house already paid off as well.

Consider as well under this sort of program the effects, the load, of working for 10$ an hour is much less to the combined parties overall personal economies. With just 6 of the adults bring in just 350$ a week comes out to 2100$ a week. A nice starter home could be had with that sort of contribution being made toward the payment. On top of that sharing automobiles and doing the same there buying good used. All parties could have a good automobile just after the first year of less.

Anyway in about 10 years all five families had a house paid for. Now compare that to how we americans approach the problem with 5 families paying on 30 year loans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join