It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new $10 an hour American economy!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

Your solution to have the entire country move to the bakken and west Texas?

Is there ten million jobs there?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Richn777

In all fairness, you can't be using the government's numbers for inflation and think you're getting a full account. It would be nice to believe the governments statistic numbers weren't manipulated, but I don't live in that world, and neither should you any more.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99
I was going to write something in this thread then I saw your post, you have summed it up brilliantly so that any further embellishment by me will be meaningless. Well said. Star(and all that).

edit on 9-9-2014 by waverlyhills because: formatting gibberish

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

In all fairness, you can't be using the government's numbers for inflation and think you're getting a full account. It would be nice to believe the governments statistic numbers weren't manipulated, but I don't live in that world, and neither should you any more.

speaking of inflation...notice how energy and food costs ARE NOT included?...energy costs affect everything in our lives, to say it should not be included in the inflation numbers is crap economics....I always "follow the money"...and as a former day trader, I always sought out indexes, sectors, and individual stocks that ARE NOT being talked about....one group that has a direct ear in government is the "business round table" a group of CEO's that occupy the top corporations in the nation....and to paraphrase an old commercial....when they talk, our government listens...you can look them up on several websites...here is one that I think sums up this entity nicely.
my.firedoglake.com...
don't let the title fool you
edit on 9-9-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

My solution is for each person to take personal responsibility and do what they need to, to get the sought after job.

Very simple. How bad do you or others what employment that pays higher then $10hr.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yea that's one reason they only make 10$ an hour. Their time isn't held to be worth anymore than that.

On top of that you have the employers playing the labor elite mindset on the "losers". 100 hundred new job openings paying 18$ an hour and over 3000 applications for those jobs.

Folks complain about college grads bussing tables but many of the skilled labor positions are saturated as well. Even jobs that are labor intense are not respected with much better pay than average rates.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

With a basic degree that is not somehow specialized (Such as a bachelors degree with English being the major) all that degree says to an employer is that when given paperwork to fill it out they will have the education level to fill it out properly - no promise of enough sense to accomplish that goal however.

Someone with such a degree still has to decide what field they might like to work in, acquire an entry level position and work their way up in a company. The degree will usually help them to do that faster than someone with no college should they have the intelligence to apply what it takes to get promoted though.

But these people are entry level at anything they do - and their starting wages are going to be low. This is something that people don't seem to understand, without a commercially applicable specialty that gives you a wider range of career possibilities, your starting wages regardless of college is going to be around 22 - 25K.

You can work up from there reasonably quickly if you apply yourself to that end, but starting has to be somewhere, and that type of college degree tells your employer you can read and write, and little else.

edit on 9-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

I don't see a problem here.

People are paid what their skill/education/experience brings to a company.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Suppose the minimum wage is $10.00/hr (Canada), if a person made $10.01, is that still minimum wage?

I am sure more people make less nowadays than in the past. (considering 1 cent over is also technecally more than minimum wage in the past as well.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Anyone notice the value of the US dollar lately?

www.x-rates.com...

Click the 1Y ear button and take a look at the longer trend.
Even the stock market is concerned.

Something is up.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Here's a screenshot from your link for anyone who can't check it out:

I didn't realize the value of the dollar to the euro had dropped so fast. Thanks for the link!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

That isn't the worth of the dollar dropping, that is the worth of the euro dropping in relation to the dollar.

A few years ago one euro was worth $1.67 in US dollars, today, $1.29. According to financial analysts, its because the value of the dollar is rising - although according to them this is only temporary. While at the same time the value of the euro is decreasing.

moneymorning.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Looking at the Australian dollar against the US dollar this drop is very recent..

www.x-rates.com...

$1.13 Australian dollars were worth $1 US back in January of 2014.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

There is 0 change in the overall picture for the Australian dollar in the last year. One year ago today the Australian dollar closed at $1.08 in USD. Today, the Australian dollar closed at $1.08 in USD.

That graph shows no change in the last year - overall. The graph shows what the Australian dollar is worth against the USD. That is all - it's telling you the worth of the Australians currency in our money. It doesn't tell you what the dollar itself is doing.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

This is what the dollar itself is doing:

Link

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

So its the Euro that is sinking fast due to the central bank talking about quantitative easing.
US dollar and Australian dollar are both up on the year in value against the euro.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Yes. Exactly.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I make more then that as a carpenter but your perspective is limited.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I make more then that as a carpenter but your perspective is limited.

That is great for you.

Seems others need to work to advance themselves in a career.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

What are you even complaining about then?

The median hourly wage for a carpenter is over 20 dollars an hour. lol... It will take me a few more years of experience and some additional job specific college courses and a promotion or two to make that much.

Why on earth would you be complaining about that? Heck, I'm happy if I make half that right now with my experience level being what it is, and you wont find me complaining about it either.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join