It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TN pastor vows not to ‘repent’ for homophobia: God says gays ‘must be put to death’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Lysergic

Care to define what my faith is?

Weak.

That's the thing. There are so many versions of Christianity, you cannot condemn all for one. I'm an atheist, but I was raised Catholic. I understand where Catholics come from, but I cannot comprehend evangelicals because evangelicals consider Catholics as bad as gays or Muslims or aliens from outer space. But, they both call themselves "Christians," and you cannot even start to connect the two.

Lutherans and Episcopalians and (who knows, I don't keep track of everyone--just what I recall from the news) accept gays and even have them as clergy. Thus, it is unfair to say that all, or even a majority of Christians hate gays.

OTOH, there are many people, especially in the radical fundamentalist group who disagree with homosexuality. Whatever. It is a free country and every asshole is entitled to his opinion. Reminds me of my drill instructor at Parris Island---"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink."

However. It is one thing to say "I disagree with those guys." That is fine, I guess, even if it is being a jerk, because we live in a free society and we don't want thought police and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However-- when "I don't agree with those guys" turns into "I want to kill those guys," then we have a problem.

A general, philosophical threat, may not be legally actionable (remember, we value free speech too), but certainly it deserves a negative response.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: beezzer

Oh you aren't joking? Even more hilarious.

Why would I care define your faith for you?

Its of zero concern to me.

Weak attempt to play a victim, pal.

Not playing victim.

Just pointing out intolerance when I see it.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

That's why these hate-fests get tiring.

Christians, smokers, gun owners. It's a damned free-for-all. About the only groups that people are free to hate on with impunity.

These "tolerant" people sure are hypocritical, in my humble opinion.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

No, rather it seem you tried to lay the trap of getting me to define what YOUR faith is.

But I digress and this is going off topic and isn't all that much of a concern to me,

I suppose you shall lead the way with your example of tolerance and all right?

ciao.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Christians, smokers, gun owners. It's a damned free-for-all. About the only groups that people are free to hate on with impunity.

That's not true. You also have your Nazis, your KKK and your Westboro folks.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

That's why these hate-fests get tiring.

These "tolerant" people sure are hypocritical, in my humble opinion.

You got a point. Honestly you do. I've been accused of not being a "true" athiest, whatever that is (athiests aren't supposed to have a dogma because, well, we don't believe in stuff) because I don't hate Christians. I may not agree with Christianity, I may not believe in it, but I don't hate it as a concept. Certainly some Christians ate jerks, like Fred Phelps for example, but there are many nice ones too, like Mother Theresa.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Nazis, KKK, Westboro are more progressive democrats than anything else.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

If you treated all Christians like this gay-hating pastor or like Phelps, then you'd be in good company.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I wonder. ..

If I found the most obnoxious, progressive dirt-bag. . . . could I then label all progressive liberal democrats according to what that specific douche-potato was saying?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
What I find the saddest part of this, is that pastors like the one in Tn or WBC or any other who would use religion as an excuse, tends to use it like a weapon. They put divisions in their communities and the very people they are suppose to guide and help. The lack of tolerance on their part gives all those in that profession a bad name. It does more harm than good, and ultimately, is one of the problems with organized religions these days.

But if we judge all ministers as equal, and not individually, then we are no better than they are. There are a few ministers out there that are understanding and try to do what is the right thing, and should be given the benefit of the doubt. While I will not join a church, and have been asked to, I do respect them for their chosen profession. I do not make windows into their souls, nor would I ask them to violate the tenant of their faith. I sit and watch, and when their congregation decreases, then it is apparent that they no longer appeal to the people or what they are saying fails basic common sense.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I wonder. ..

If I found the most obnoxious, progressive dirt-bag. . . . could I then label all progressive liberal democrats according to what that specific douche-potato was saying?

This is some pretty obnoxious labeling if you ask me....

edit on 3-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I wonder. ..

This is some pretty obnoxious labeling if you ask me....

So blanket judgments are wrong?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So I would be wrong by labeling an entire ideology based on just one or two examples?

If I am wrong for labeling an entire group based on just one or two examples. . . hmmmm. . . .

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

a reply to: kaylaluv

I guess you're right. You can add progressive democrats to your list.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

So I would be wrong by labeling an entire ideology based on just one or two examples?

If I am wrong for labeling an entire group based on just one or two examples. . . hmmmm. . . .

Lablel away....it's the www. where reality and perception are nothing more than cyber masturbation, fantasy and
imagination. No animals were harmed in making this thread.....

edit on 3-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

For a laugh last week, i took my first look at Conservapedia.

One of my first browses there was their page on homosexuality. This pastor dude is a bit of a left winger compared to the rabid craziness i found there and jtma508 nailed it, no need to wait for ISIS..... i normally denounce the whole left/right thing (or in the states, far-right/centre right) but in the states you have some real loons who'd happily murder their country folk due to their different lives and beliefs.

Holy cow

Yup. And the really interesting part is that the loons on both sides start to sound eerily similar. It's a thing.

God Bless The U.S.A.

There is no God and you should be arrested for expressing that belief.

No, you should be put to death for not believing in God.

And around and around she goes on just about every even remotely divisive topic you can think of.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Lysergic

Care to define what my faith is?

Weak.

What your faith is -- is inconsequential.

How and where you put it -- is.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Lablel away....it's the www. where reality and perception are nothing more than cyber masturbation, fantasy and
imagination. No animals were harmed in making this thread.....

Hey! I tend to be quite fond of masturbation. It's a great stress reliever!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
ANOTHER anti-Christ story on ATS…

who is harmed by these stories?? Christians.

who is per ping them?? supposed Christians…

a lot can be learned from gays who sincerely turn to Christ and find love for women, have families and life:

yt: Former Homosexual Speaks Out Part 1
youtu.be...

yt: Ex Homosexual Testimony / Spiritual Warfare Freedom From Spirits Influencing Thoughts & Desires
youtu.be...

yt: Jesus Christ Saved Me from 27 Years of Homosexuality
youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Verum1quaere

Why do I even bother. . .

Sexual preference should have absolutely nothing to do with someone's individual faith.

But I guess that it just my humble opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join