It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TN pastor vows not to ‘repent’ for homophobia: God says gays ‘must be put to death’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

A pastor of a large Southern Baptist church near Chattanooga, Tennessee said this week that Christians would never repent for discriminating against gay people like they had for racism because African-Americans could not change the color of their skin.

After spending about 20 minutes recounting the perils of homosexuality throughout history, Gallaty asserted that the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by God because of gay sex.

“God said that the sins of the people had infected the very land in which they live,” he explained. “So what happens to people who engage in this activity, this sexual immoral activity? Go to Leviticus 20, God gives us the punishment for engaging in these sins… ‘If a man sleeps with a man as with a woman, they have both committed a detestable thing. They must be put to death. And their blood is on their own hands.’”

Apparently Pastor Robby thinks that homosexuality is a "choice" and not determined by dna.
Regardless of whether homosexuality id determined by dna or choice; putting Gay people to death seems a bit extreme.
In the past, I have heard from Fundamental Christians that homosexuality is determined by being possessed by demons of the devil himself.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm beginning to sense a pattern of an anti gay focus coming from Fundamentalist Christians. I wonder...for what purpose?

I know there are a lot of Bible oriented Christians as members here at ATS. Should Gays be put to death? Exorcised? or punished by being banished?

edit on 3-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
See? Who says we need to wait for ISIS to show up? We've got the same thing here already.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm beginning to sense a pattern of an anti gay focus coming from Fundamentalist Christians.

Good for you!! This pattern has been ongoing for quite some time now. Keep watching them. They scare the bejeebers out of me...
Already there are states (like Kansas and Kentucky) that have become 'theocratic states' via the legislature. Fortunately, the zealots are on their way out here in a couple more months. *whew*

Thanks for the thread - you've been on a roll lately!

Check out the New Apostolic Reformation and the Christian Dominionists for more hair-raising horror. And Right Wing Watch is also an excellent repository of daily Christian Insanity among the 'celebrities'.

edit on 9/3/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I'm going to assume that the pastor has also kicked out all of his flock that have divorced.

After all God hates divorce.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
See? Who says we need to wait for ISIS to show up? We've got the same thing here already.

Perhaps....

What I see is a concerted effort by the Right Fundamentalist Christians to gather a political force to rally the uberright
GOP base around controversial subjects.

It will be interesting to see which faction of the GOP ultimately takes control. Moderates or the Rightwing.

I bet all the guys and gals hanging out in the Log cabin are wondering as well.

www.conservapedia.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Same goes for people who commit adultery, but adulterers don't seem to get the same treatment.

Also, if a man has sex with a woman whilst she is in her period, both of them are to be cut off from their people. Why would anyone find out about it though?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

For a laugh last week, i took my first look at Conservapedia.

One of my first browses there was their page on homosexuality. This pastor dude is a bit of a left winger compared to the rabid craziness i found there and jtma508 nailed it, no need to wait for ISIS..... i normally denounce the whole left/right thing (or in the states, far-right/centre right) but in the states you have some real loons who'd happily murder their country folk due to their different lives and beliefs.

Holy cow

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: twfau

Why would anyone find out about it though?

They would if the couple stayed in a hotel with one bed.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Thanks for the thread - you've been on a roll lately!

Check out the New Apostolic Reformation and the Christian Dominionists for more hair-raising horror.

Being in the entertainment industry, I have a lot of gay friends and I would really hate for them to be put to death.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

A pastor of a large Southern Baptist church near Chattanooga, Tennessee said this week that Christians would never repent for discriminating against gay people like they had for racism because African-Americans could not change the color of their skin.

After spending about 20 minutes recounting the perils of homosexuality throughout history, Gallaty asserted that the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by God because of gay sex.

“God said that the sins of the people had infected the very land in which they live,” he explained. “So what happens to people who engage in this activity, this sexual immoral activity? Go to Leviticus 20, God gives us the punishment for engaging in these sins… ‘If a man sleeps with a man as with a woman, they have both committed a detestable thing. They must be put to death. And their blood is on their own hands.’”

Apparently Pastor Robby thinks that homosexuality is a "choice" and not determined by dna.
Regardless of whether homosexuality id determined by dna or choice; putting Gay people to death seems a bit extreme.
In the past, I have heard from Fundamental Christians that homosexuality is determined by being possessed by demons of the devil himself.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm beginning to sense a pattern of an anti gay focus coming from Fundamentalist Christians. I wonder...for what purpose?

I know there are a lot of Bible oriented Christians as members here at ATS. Should Gays be put to death? Exorcised? or punished by being banished?

Let 'em try. They might get a load of lead for an answer.

In all seriousness, I guess he is entitled to his opinion, but when rhetoric changes from "it's a sin" or "you are not welcome in my church" to "put to death," it makes me uneasy. Who cares if he doesn't want gays in his church? They wouldn't want to go there anyway. But when he takes that step further, to a genocidal sounding level, it is scary. Jerks like this are why I support The Pink Pistols--a gun rights group run by and for gay people. Their motto? Armed gays don't get bashed.
edit on 3-9-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Just being a human being on the Earth for over 50 years, I'd hate it too. In grad school for my field there were LOTS of gay folks. All very nice, smart human beings. And others in different venues I've been part of. I have no problem with them...some of the nicest people ever.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Just being a human being on the Earth for over 50 years, I'd hate it too. In grad school for my field there were LOTS of gay folks. All very nice, smart human beings. And others in different venues I've been part of. I have no problem with them...some of the nicest people ever.

I tend to attract lesbians.
One person who helped me get into medical school is a lesbian and she and her partner have been nothing but kind to me over the years and she asked me to teach her how to shoot because of bigotry like this. Like I said, I don't care if people don't like other people--heck a lot of people don't like me
--but when you start talking about genocide, that's nuts.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This is the real face behind the mask that is the anti-gay marriage agenda. They hide behind terms phrases and lingo like, "traditional marriage" and "marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman", but they are really just hiding their true intolerance. They can't outwardly hate them like the pastor in the OP, lest they look like a nutbag (like the pastor in the OP), so instead we get watered down intolerance.

Case in point, this is a line from the article in the OP:

Gallaty went on to opine that “homosexuality is an attack on the family and the marriage.”

The pastor in the OP is a nutbag, and it's people like him that are holding TRUE equality back in the states. People who like to put restrictions on other people for no better reason than because they don't like something about them, whether it be genetic or a decision that the person made. Ever wonder why most of our "vices" and "evils" come from religious fundamentalism? It's not just homosexuality either. Even the temperance movement was rooted in Christian fundie roots. It's disgusting. Nothing seems to promote intolerance better than religion.
edit on 3-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Before this thread turns into a Christian-bash. . . .

Support and affirmation of marriage rights for same-sex couples increasingly come from certain Christian denominations that are theologically considered liberal. Some examples of religious organizations voicing their support for same-sex marriage include Metropolitan Community Church, the United Church of Christ,[1] the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ),[2] the Episcopal Church of the United States, the Anglican Church of Canada, the Evangelical Lutheran Church In America and the Unitarian Universalists church which has long supported the rights of gays and lesbians to marry both in the church and through the state.

en.wikipedia.org...

So relax, people. There are always idiots and those who follow idiots. I'd use MSNBC as an example, but that would be too easy. . . .

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

When these pastors take to the streets and start beheading people and murdering babies and etc, then there will be a comparison... until then, we have absolutely nothing like ISIS anywhere in the west.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

It's nice to see you not disavow these people as "true" Christians like most gay hating Christian like to do.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: beezzer

It's nice to see you not disavow these people as "true" Christians like most gay hating Christian like to do.

Unlike some, I refuse to tell people what to believe.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Instead of hating people for the way they were born perhaps the congregation could pray that God stop making so many homosexuals. Wouldn't he be the guy in control of the situation?

Some quotes from Dave Foley on the subject:

“God’s been creating the universe for a long time now, and he hates the gays, but he can’t seem to stop making them. That’s got to be frustrating for God.”

“If gay is a choice, then straight must logically also be a choice.”

“If you are a straight man and you do feel like you’re choosing to be straight all the time, guess what, you’re gay.”
edit on 3-9-2014 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Homosexuality is a capital offense. so is any other sin no matter how "insignifcant." The Pastor like every other human being, is convicted of capital sins. the point of life on earth is not to get to heaven by one's ability to follow levitical law. no one can do that. the point of the law is three fold.

!. it convicts us of our sinful nature. it proves to us we are personally worthy of death.
2. It provides a legal framework by which sins can be atoned for or forgiven. It sets up the facts concerning Christ and His death as legally important/binding to God. It transfers the penalty for our sins to Christ.
3. Besides these important facts it is called the schoolmaster by Paul. he means that these laws are the basis for a sound and wise social contract and civil law. it is a standard that although we cannot live up to we should try.

however; the "good" pastor is wrong. as a non Jew a christian is not bound in the same way a Jew is to that law. secondly; even if we were we are instructed to follow existing civil authorities. not only in the old testament such as David refusing to kill saul who was unjustly trying to kill him. but especially in the new testament in romans thirteen.
A government has a sword to enforce justice. it's not a individual perogative. even if there were no civil authority to defer to; Jewish legal system requires a sober and trusted judge or elder, two trusted witnesses, counter witnesses and the accused cannot confess any confession is disregarded by jewish religious law. basically it is nearly impossible to prove someone guilty. Jesus went further. he said the executioner had to be sin free. (did i mention that we are all guilty of capital sins ourselves?

Homosexual acts are a capital offense. so is bad mouthing your mother or father. or working on the sabath. and fornicators. God did not want us offing each other. in the OT the harsh punishments were precident for judgement and for salvation. however; there was mercy even in the OT days. Sanctuaries for the accused; amnesties, jubilees and so forth.

These "men of God" are not representing the precepts of Christianity very well. they are demon ridden souls whose mission is to give Christianity a taint of disrepute and sully the followers of Christ's way in the eyes of men. in these latter days when it is harder for the unsaved to grasp the outstretched hands of God due to the spirit of this age roaming among the ethnoi these pastors are a disgrace for making salvation for the lost even harder. they will answer for this before the throne themselves.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Really? Because I've yet to see a crazed pastor behead anyone in the streets.

Not even close. ISIS makes even Westboro look like saints. The "man of god" mentioned in the OP is nothing but a hateful bigot, certainly no follower of Christianity. He's simply twisting scripture to fit his own bias and hate. That being said, he isn't going to go kill gays. It's all just big talk from a bitter man.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join