It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two weeks of groceries on food stamps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Very interesting thread, although could have done without the fighting.
I applaud all of you who are trying to survive on so little. I myself lived on Ramen Noodles, hot dogs and tuna fish (which used to be cheap in the olden days) while in college. I can't imagine trying to feed a family. We raise our own chicken for meat, and eat a lot of egg based dishes. But we live in the country, so it is a definite case of comparing apples to oranges as the saying goes. I clip coupons, but end up buying the generic or store brand because it's still cheaper than the couponed item.

My parents lived thru the Great Depression so they knew how to stretch a dollar. It is shameful that we are seeing it happen all over again.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic

1 small container of chicken.
2 SMALL generic brand cans of chicken broth.
1 box of gluten free noodles (I am allergic to gluten so this was necessary.)

And as an extra, bought a bag of generic popsicles.

On his receipt it was 50 dollars. He was mortified.

Wow that is crazy. Where do you live? What store was that at? I can get all that stuff for around ten dollars if I go to an Aldis or similar store. Where I live, within walking distance, there are three big grocery stores all right next to each other. The Aldis is in the middle. Then there are two local chain grocery stores. One to the left of the Aldis, and one to the right. They literally all share the same parking lot. At the Aldis, like i said, all that would be around ten dollars, 15 dollars with veggies. At the other two stores all that would be just a little more.
edit on 2-9-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Nope, I read that.
I have known many of people with other disorders that just don't give up like he stated he did.

He still made a choice.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

Where do you live? What store was that at? I can get all that stuff for around ten dollars if I go to an Aldis or similar store. Where I live, within walking distance, there is three big grocery stores all right next to each other. The Aldis is in the middle. Then there are two local chain grocery stores. One to the left of the Aldis, and one to the right. They literally all share the same parking lot. At the Aldis like i said all that would be around ten dollars, 15 dollars with veggies. At the other two stores all that would be just a little more.

Ohio, and Kroger. He probably would have been better off going to Walmart or Meijer, because Kroger stuff is always a little more expensive. But we try not to go to Walmart unless we absolutely have to, and Kroger was just on his way home.
The chicken was a bit more expensive because it was already thawed. The price difference in thawed and frozen meat makes no sense to me.
Chicken broth is always expensive.
And the noodles are always a bit more expensive because they only carry name brand gluten free ones, and of course because it's gluten free. The life of gluten allergies is an expensive life.
The popsicles were the cheapest thing on that receipt, and it had the most quantity to it.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

I do not know if they have Aldis in Ohio. But you can get a 32 oz box of chicken broth for 1.49 a box. The whole fresh chickens are 95 cents a pound. A 16 oz box of gluten free penne noodles is 1.29. Those are the prices for most of the Chicagoland area. Which is were I am from. I feel like an Aldis rep now lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

I do not know if they have Aldis in Ohio. But you can get a 32 oz box of chicken broth for 1.49 a box. The whole fresh chickens are 95 cents a pound. A 16 oz box of gluten free penne noodles is 1.29. Those are the prices for most of the Chicagoland area. Which is were I am from.

I know there is one in the area somewhere. I'll definitely look into it, for things being that much cheaper it would definitely be worth it to go there, even if it is a little out of the way. Thanks a bunch!
edit on 2-9-2014 by Lyxdeslic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I know there is one in the area somewhere. I'll definitely look into it, for things being that much cheaper it would definitely be worth it to go there, even if it is a little out of the way. Thanks a bunch!

you should.
Kroger is a high priced store and most of the things you buy there can be picked up for at least half of their price

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

originally posted by: wantsome
I have no other choice then to live on the peanuts they throw at me.

Oh really???

originally posted by: wantsome
I gave up a $50k a year job

No other choice huh??
What part of no other choice did you not understand? I came down with schizophrenia when I was 17. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 20. It was a slow decent into madness. By the time I was 20 I was having severe hallucinations and delusions. I had no concept of reality what so ever. I ended up in the hospital for a month. They drugged me with enough Thorazine and Haldol to drug an elephant. I was so drugged I slept 23 hours a day. The only time I got up was to go to the bathroom and eat. I got out of the hospital and stayed on my medication for a year. A year later I quit taking my medications and had a relapse. I ended up in the hospital again.

6 months after getting out of the hospital I decided I wanted to work. I went to the local state run rehabilitation services office. After some testing and counseling they placed me into a factory job. It was horrible at first. I was hearing voices and seeing thing that weren't there. I fought my illness with everything I had to over come it. I started out just running parts in a press. After a while they moved me around from department to department as a helper. I learned things here and there and I worked my way up. I started at $8 an hour by the time I left I was making $10 an hour.

A friend got me a job working at another company. He got me into the job as a sheet metal worker making $12 an hour. I learned a lot but the company went out of business. I ended up getting other job doing sheet metal work. Since I had experience and I was getting good at what I was doing I was able to get $16 an hour. I was bringing home $1000 a week pay checks. I was metal finishing and hammer forming body parts that went on the Dodge viper.

Everything was going well for me. I had my own apartment a brand new truck and credit cards. I thought this is great anyone can achieve the American dream. I worked hard to get where I was at.

It had been 11 years since my hospitalization. I ended up developing a heart condition and had to be taken off my medications. I had a total relapse and ended up in the hospital again. I lost everything I had worked for. I switched to a newer medication but developed all kinds of problems from it.

I've been declared legally disabled by a federal judge. My doctor that I've been a patient for 18 years is highly regarded in the psychiatric community in my area. He was the one that suggested I apply for disability. I didn't want to apply it took me 9 months before I decided to.

Don't read me the riot act about going on disability. I've been through hell and back on more then one occasion in my life. I've endured more hardship then most have in 10 lifetimes. Schizophrenia has ruined my life and I'm not happy about.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

If you do go. Bring a quarter and your own bags. You have to put a quarter in to get your grocery cart. Don't worry you get it back. And they do not bag for you or offer bags without a charge. Its something like 35 cents a bag. Its one of the ways they keep things cheap. I just bring my own bags. They just recently started a gluten free line. I think it is called live g free. I do not get everything there. But i get a lot of the little stuff there. There pork chops and ground beef are good. There other beef products like steaks and such I buy elsewhere. I have not bought the whole fresh chicken from there yet. It is something they just started. As I have never seen it before this weeks ad in the newspaper.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Char-Lee
I was vegan for a couple of years then veggie for a decade. I always cooked some meat (or dairy products) for my growing son and added it to his meal just before serving. Nothing strange about that, I didn't want to indoctrinate him with my views.

...oh, and I finally cracked with a bacon sandwich while walking past a snack bar one day, haven't looked back since, or felt as healthy, but that's another story.

Personally I wanted my children to have my views, they could change them when they had their own home if that is what they wished.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

How can that come to 50$? the soup would be 2$ noodles what 5$ 8? 9? plus small chicken...7-10? Popsicles 5$? No matter how I look 50 is impossible.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Your condition sucks. I get that. But, this does not then mean that the tax is on the hook.

I work through having ADD & ADHD, which is about as sever as it gets. Yet, I prosper.

I have worked with people that are Bi-polar to the highest degree. They work through it.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Two weeks of groceries on food stamps

Please stay on topic.

and....You are responsible for your own posts.

So, Community Announcement re: Decorum

Do not reply to this post!

edit on Tue Sep 2 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Recently lost my job after the 6.0 earthquake in Napa and have been debating on getting food stamps. That's what they're for I guess right, temporary assistance until a new job can be secured.

I cook rice with every single meal, no shame about it..love rice. I have jasmine, basmati and rice my Korean mother in law gives to me by the pounds (not sure what type..it's sticky rice.) I'll reconstitute some dehydrated mushrooms and use the mushroom broth to cook the rice, it gives it a nice umami earthy flavor. Other times I'll use El Pato and onion and make Spanish rice, it's so so good and changes the flavor profile so it doesn't taste like the same old rice for every meal.

edit on 2-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy
I had no idea saffron was so expensive before I started diversifying my rice! Its totally worth it when I can get it clearance at tjmaxx.

My family prefers red beans and rice to be made with kidney beans too. We're just picky.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Its embarrassing that people see others living on the bare minimum and they're so okay with it. Like it would kill humanity to help provide someone with a varied diet. The conservative think-tank has done a fantastic job at convincing people poverty is essential in the modern era.

If america stopped all its spending just on its military it could feed, clothe and house its own people thousands of times over - But where's the benefit in that?

Oh yeah i forget, the people doing the annual budget aint living off rice or hotdogs.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

also look up the earth box... not to purchase because its kind of pricy if your on a budget, but you should be able to find the specs online and can probably build one cheaply out of a lowes or home depot.

They work really well..

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

It is ridiculously expensive! There's a store here in town where I can get it for $5 and since you barely have to use any, it lasts forever!! Yummy, think I'll make saffron rice with dinner tonight, lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Those earthboxes do look cool! I'm more of a see if what's on sale is what I need type of person. When I get to the store it'll be a surprise for me too.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: redhorse

Nope, I read that.
I have known many of people with other disorders that just don't give up like he stated he did.

He still made a choice.

Schizophrenia is a spectrum disorder. The severity varies widely as well as the response or reaction to the various medications available. "I know a few people with other disorders..." and so I know this person's circumstance so I get to judge them is the epitome of making up justifications to support your point of view. This is just another mechanism to feel superior and indulge in these idiotic class driven justifications for crappy behavior.

I mean, absurdly, astonishingly ignorant. Schizophrenia is a very different proposition from anything else. In terms of potential for complete disruption of daily function paranoid schizophrenia categorically is the one that is the most debilitating. It's like saying "I know how to train a horse in classical dressage because I house-broke a puppy once". You have no information to base your assumptions on.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join