It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two weeks of groceries on food stamps

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse
I wish I could star you a million times!

I don't feel bad about eating once a day btw, I'm working on getting into a hoochie mamma dress to go get a sugar daddy!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Sometimes it's hard to grow
While living in fear of the unknown
How can he ever give love
When no love is in his heart?
A child can barely sleep at night
To worried bout tomorrow
And what it beholds,
He drowns of
Deep down in sorrows
Will you run or will you share your light
Tell a story or live in strife
See it when we're given hope
That we know that we can grow

We're trapped inside the matrix
Forced to play our hand
We're fill with so much hatred
The kids don't stand a chance"

The Kids B.o.B feat Janelle Monae

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
... I'm one of the people that depend on my kids to eat at school. Because feeding them healthy is very difficult.

No offense but it's not the schools job to make sure your kids eat, let alone eat healthy. How is feeding them healthy difficult? You think school food is healthy?! Sorry buts it is far from healthy. It's crap.

You are the parent therefore you dictate what they eat. When I was a kid we ate what was served or we went to bed hungry. No substitutes because we didn't like it. I hated breakfast for dinner nights and would only eat toast. In time I sucked it up and ate my eggs for dinner.

You can feed your kids healthy and on a budget. If you need help with maybe some recipe ideas let me know I can help you.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver
I'm not easily offended however, you don't have all the facts.

I am vegan. My kitchen is vegan. My children didn't make that choice. So, if they are to eat any non vegan foods it will be at friends and family's home or at school.

Now lets get back to where my kids go daily and they can eat without making me sick that isn't costing us extra money... that's their school.

I don't consider a budget to be a bad thing, I also have entire shelves full of vegan cookbooks and my kids love my cooking which is what matters.

No offense but, I don't need or want your help. Thank you though!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Well I had a nice long reply and hit the wrong button on my phone so this will be shorter.

I spend about $200 a month on groceries for my son and I. We have one income and it can be hard at times but I shop three different stores to get deals. I only buy certain things when they are on sale. I save a ton of money this way especially on meat. I go to the farmers market when it's available for produce and I grow my own herbs. I get a lot of produce from my moms garden when certain items are in season. I live in an apartment so it's hard to grow veggies. I've tried and they just can take the heat and we have limited space on the porch.

I make everything I can from scratch. I make things like cream of chicken and mushroom soup once a month and freeze them for later. I make spaghetti sauce once a month and save it. You can get a box of old tomatoes that need to be used up from the farmers market for cheap! It takes time to skin them and cook them but one box which costs about $5 makes sauce for two months! I make a few pasta dishes and pizza with the sauce.

I make my own pasta when I can but I usually buy pasta from Big Lots. Big Lots is awesome for deals on pasta. I get 2lb bags of various pastas for $1.50. It's all natural without enriched ingredients and it's usually imported from Mexico or Italy. It's so much better than the typical store brands. You can find store brands in Big Lots but the price is about half of what it would be in the store. I buy my bread there for $1.40 a load whee in the grocery store it's $3.89 a loaf! I buy 4 loaves and freeze them. I like my rye bread
if you have a Big Lots you should check it out. I know they take food stamp cards too. You can get canned veggies for 40 cents!

I see you like hamburger helper. Do you buy the boxed brand? I have a recipe, posted on BTS, for homemade hamburger helper. It's with all natural ingredients and it makes a lot! It's really good too.

I'm really good at turning one dish into multiples lol so if you have any questions or want some recipe ideas let me know. Is be happy to help.

If you have a Winn Dixie you can get frozen chicken breasts and tenders buy one get one free when they have sales. Not sure where you live just thought I would mention that. I only buy chicken when it's on sale like that. Two bags last me a month.

edit on 9/2/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I am vegan. My kitchen is vegan. My children didn't make that choice. So, if they are to eat any non vegan foods it will be at friends and family's home or at school.

Now lets get back to where my kids go daily and they can eat without making me sick that isn't costing us extra money... that's their school.

I don't consider a budget to be a bad thing, I also have entire shelves full of vegan cookbooks and my kids love my cooking which is what matters.

Nm not worth
edit on 9/2/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ahimsa
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Just wondering, do you get free internet?

I was thinking the same thing about everyone on this site who uses food stamps.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I like my attitude, hence the name. no offense however if you didn't like my response you may want to wonder what prompted it.

I'm certain your posting habits weren't the reason this OP was started to discuss food on a budget. I noticed you gave good advice for other in your exact situation. Too bad your meat buying advice isn't relevant to my home.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You might try baking butter milk biscuits. They are cheap and go a long way. My mom used to make those with some SOS gravy made with a tiny bit of ground beef or ground sausage when we lived on food stamps when I was a kid. Was yummy and filling if you got kids to feed. You probably live in a city but mom used to grow some of our own veggies too.

You might can make a little under the table cash by buying and selling Craig's list stuff and yard sale stuff to consignments shops. Buy cheap and sell for more.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ahimsa
25 Foods You Can Grow From Scraps

a reply to: Iamthatbish

I was hoping there was a free internet like there used to be. It's too expensive anymore and will be something I will drop if things get worse.

We have only been able to get tomatoes, strawberries, and mint to grow outside, but inside you can regrow onions, lettuce, and celery.

You might talk to a neighbor who has wireless internet and pay them $10 or free a month to use their wireless if you live near enough to someone with wireless internet. They might be nice and want to help you out. I do.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
1. Being on a budget doesn't doesn't equal being on food stamps.
2. There are programs for free internet in an effort to create more equity and inclusion for students.

Maybe people on this post could practice being more human and less judgemental. Currently no one has assumed anything correctly that I recall. Just baseless assumptions of how and what others living situations are.

ETA: my old neighbors shared their internet for free. My kids are currently on restriction. (That's a long story) They are doing mostly low tech so they appreciate what they have more.
edit on 2-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

You didn't give all the facts. I based what I said in what you have. No need ti get pissy! I wasn't trying to be mean only help.

So you don't let them eat non vegan at home? If they choose not to be vegan the lm why not make them foods they would eat along with your vegan foods? I dated a vegetarian once and always made two meals when it came to meal time.

Without making YOU sick? Wow so it's all about you then?! I get you are vegan but it sounds like you are punishing your kids for your own food choices. Again I'm basing this on what you just said.

I never said a budget was a bad thing. I've lived on budgets my entire life. I think budgets are a good thing and more people should have them. If they love your cooking then what's the problem? I have shelves of cookbooks too and your point is? Seems to me you got offended because I offered help. If you knew me in any way on here I offer help to everyone when it comes to cooking. I love to cook and have helped many people from ATS and my personal life with recipes. It's what I enjoy doing.

no need to be rude. Geesh this is the first time anyone has ever been rude about me offering help. I never said you needed it either I just did what I do for anyone when cooking comes up.

(post by mblahnikluver removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Catacomb

Honestly, buying fresh vegetables and whatever protein you want to use is much better for you, fills you up more, and provides more meals. You would be surprised at how much you can actually buy. Onions, tomatoes, and peppers are all fairly inexpensive. You can also go to your local markets to get them even cheaper.

Frozen foods are the worst, and the most expensive.

Actually if you look it up frozen vegetables are very good and there is no waste, if you are poor you cannot afford to buy things that can go bad on you and sometimes things look good but turn out rotting a day or two.

Scientists from Leatherhead Food Research and University of Chester, carried out 40 tests to measure nutrient levels in produce that had been sitting in a fridge for three days, compared to frozen equivalents. They found more beneficial nutrients overall in the frozen samples, in everything from broccoli to blueberries. In fact, in two out of three cases, frozen fruits and veggies packed higher levels of antioxidants, including polyphenols, anthocyanins, lutein, and beta-carotene. This conclusion supports previous research, which found that freezing produce does not destroy its nutrients. In one report, the vitamin C content in fresh broccoli plummet by more than 50% with a week, but dipped by just 10% over an entire year when frozen.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Wowsers. I've never been called selfish for following the neurologists instructions before. I'm glad my kids prefer me to not be laying in bed crying in pain.
We don't even have the same dishes in my home from before I became vegan. We did try separate meals it wasn't good enough and, why would I want my children eating inferior food?

So yes, its about me. I need to be healthy and aware in order to properly take care of my babies. Like they tell you on a plane. You can't take care of the child if you don't put your mask on first.

Once again, this OP is about food on a budget not your feelings.

There was a great coconut flour biscuit recipe survival thread. That was cheap and I made it both by recipe and added coconut shavings and chocolate chips, we loved that in my house!!

ETA: ignoring is a very good behavior modification technique. However, you need to go review it. Telling a person you are ignoring them isn't ignoring them.

Thank you!

edit on 2-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think you did a great job grocery shopping on $52!!! I think you should be teaching classes on how to shop on a budget. No sarcasm there. I meant it as a compliment. Other (mostly healthy) stuff to eat on a budget: pasta (I think the whole wheat stuff tastes like cardboard, but I'm trying to eat healthier so I mix it with the regular stuff. Some pasta is usually on sale every week), beans & lentils (chuck full of protein & other nutrients. Try making some dishes other than chili with the beans.)

I check for manager's specials on meats - stuff that's near the expiration that they put on sale. I also check for promotional stuff (stuff that is new that they are trying out to see if it'll sell in the grocery store). Eat what's in season. Grapes, apples and squashes are coming into season (at least here in the NE US). So try and make those the main focus of meals because the ingredients will be cheaper.

You can also do a search online for meals to make while on a budget. There are LOTS of them out there.
Hope this helps

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mistressofspice
Have you tried noodles with veggies in it? My family much prefers those to whole wheat.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I started this same topic a few months back. I have paranoid schizophrenia collect disability. I spent many years trying to work before giving up. I gave up a $50k a year job to live in the richest country on earth on a 3rd world income. I have no other choice then to live on the peanuts they throw at me. What really gets to me is how we import other nations poverty and we can't even take care of our own citizens that need help. Our own leaders complain about people in dire need of assistance and yet we import more people in need from other countries. Sometimes I wish the entire system would collapse so those on top could feel a bit of my pain.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join