It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two weeks of groceries on food stamps

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

You think school food is healthy?! Sorry buts it is far from healthy. It's crap.

I think that depends on the school. My kids went to a little school in the country and they served the same food I would serve at home. I stopped making their lunches because truly the school served better and more balanced meals and they liked it so they ate well.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shaiker
For those of us that are poor and cannot afford food,but do not believe in living off the system finding the cheapest way is imperative to survival.

That's my wife and I. we are some of the most frugal people you will ever meet.
We don't do the cheap food angel program thing because we feel it's for folks less fortunate than us.
Yes, some of the best deals can be found at the flea market

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

es, some of the best deals can be found at the flea market

Again this depends on where you live. We have no "flea Market" in the summer we do have a weekly Farmers Market and the food there costs way way more than at any of the stores but we buy it anyway because it is so fresh and supports people growing things.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

It does depend on where you live.
the farmers market near me for example sells, a 10 lb bag of potatoes for $4 when they have the potatoes

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
I have no other choice then to live on the peanuts they throw at me.

Oh really???

I gave up a $50k a year job

No other choice huh??

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Just keep at it, cooking exp comes with just doing it. You can stretch your food supply by 10 fold when you know how to cook. Just experiment a little bit, and see what your pallet enjoys.
I know personally I lived off Roman noodles for 3 years of my life. And I can cook.lol I just did not have the funds to do so.
There is this stigma Vs people who get food stamps. Which I do not understand. It is helping people out to get by.
Sure there is always going to be a junkie, or someone else to abuse this system. That happens when you have this system put in place to begin with. In this world, we would not need food stamps or any of this, if our society had a better structure. But we live in a world, where the Rich get Richer, and the poor just make it by. Some of us have to work 2 jobs, 40-80 hours a week. Leaves us drained, and no will fight.
That is just how they like it.

This "Master Conspiracy" Runs on its own. The Elite and Wealthy set up the system. And we the people play it out by their rules. And it runs itself. WE check eachother in check. We police eachother. We look down on those with less. And it was hard wired into us since we where young kids.

For example. Take sesame street. Every one looks at the guy in the trash can. "Why are you such a grouch?" Why are you so mean? Its a guy living in a trash can you might be a little grouchy too!!
Thus we are taught, and wired to just step over the "grouch" or say, get a job you lazy grouch!
Seems the lack of empathy to this was put in place. to either "test" your inner being.
Or put in place, to keep others in line, so they are not living in a trash can. Keeping the middle class in check.
So many various options in this.

I just say this to anyone who wants to judge a person because they get food stamps.
That would be this. You work a lot then huh? So tired and beat from your daily grind, not everyone that can work, can find a job right now. You are okay with your tax dollar being put to good use to MURDER people.
Yet you take issue with your tax dollar Helping other people?
Id ask you take a good long hard look in the mirror, and ask yourself honestly. Are you okay with Tax money being used to make war. Yet not okay with your Tax dollars going to help others.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

So you don't let them eat non vegan at home? If they choose not to be vegan the lm why not make them foods they would eat along with your vegan foods?

Parents feed their kids what they themselves eat, it sounds very strange to think of making separate meals in a Family weird thought to me. It is not like the vegan food it not healthy or doesn't taste good.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut

the farmers market near me for example sells, a 10 lb bag of potatoes for $4 when they have the potatoes

Wish I could move! We have maybe three people who sell tomatoes and they have 5-10 a few baskets of cherry ones each no available potatoes here. The potatoes we have been getting from the stores are either green or rotten for a while now.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Yep.. in my town our flea market is all tourist oriented fancy "organic" so the prices for the home grown "organic" is jacked up. You should see the price of the "grass fed no hormone" meats they have there. Good lord.. Everyone here thinks they are an artisan and sells overpriced crap there as well. Great living in a touristy town. Not so great for those who are struggling.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Im fortunate enough to live in farmville USA all through the warm months there are fresh veggies for cheaper than any grocery store and the flea market does sell some "artisan" food but i would never pay $8 for 6oz of preserves.
Some people think their stuff is made with gold

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Where I live the farmers market is closing soon.

I got way more herbs for my money there than the grocery store. I'm really going to try an indoor glower pot garden this winter.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

You think school food is healthy?! Sorry buts it is far from healthy. It's crap.

I think that depends on the school. My kids went to a little school in the country and they served the same food I would serve at home. I stopped making their lunches because truly the school served better and more balanced meals and they liked it so they ate well.

And that is a rarity.

I worked in the school system where I live. The food is just gross. My son will have a bag lunch when he makes it to school, that is if they don't ban them by then. lol It could happen!

I remember when i worked at the school they made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids but now they don't. My mom still works there and when I went to visit one day during lunch the PBJ was replaced with those nasty Crustable frozen PBJ round wanna be sandwiches. I was shocked! PBJ is the easiest thing in the world to make and cheap. I do not understand how those frozen things are more affordable than the actual PB and jelly and some bread. Crazy!!

I dont see why schools can't feed kids a nice meal. Sure some do but the majority get cafeteria food and many know what Im talking about. They serve veggies but they taste like salt licks more than a veggie because they are canned.

I think it would be great if schools used fresh ingredients but that is wishful thinking!!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I was vegan for a couple of years then veggie for a decade. I always cooked some meat (or dairy products) for my growing son and added it to his meal just before serving. Nothing strange about that, I didn't want to indoctrinate him with my views.

...oh, and I finally cracked with a bacon sandwich while walking past a snack bar one day, haven't looked back since, or felt as healthy, but that's another story.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

Yep.. in my town our flea market is all tourist oriented fancy "organic" so the prices for the home grown "organic" is jacked up. You should see the price of the "grass fed no hormone" meats they have there. Good lord.. Everyone here thinks they are an artisan and sells overpriced crap there as well. Great living in a touristy town. Not so great for those who are struggling.

ADV! Hello long time no see!

We have the grass fed no hormone meats in our local butcher shop and the prices are INSANE! I can't even afford the cheapest meat. I buy the Publix Greenwise meats and then I get the Winn Dixie brand chicken when it's buy one get one free. I tried to do the all grass fed no hormone meats but then i couldn't buy anything else. It's like $10+lb!

The produce prices aren't bad it just depends on what the item is. For some reason organic yellow squash is super expensive. Drives me nuts because I love squash! I get what i can from my mom when she has her garden going in full swing but in between those times I shop various farmers markets and stores. It's good they are all within a mile of each other.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

I have no other choice then to live on the peanuts they throw at me.

Oh really???

I gave up a $50k a year job

No other choice huh??

Did you miss the part where he said he was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic? It can be extraordinarily difficult and even impossible to function and therefore hold a job if you are dealing with that.

Would you go to a physician that is a paranoid schizophrenic? Would you hire a contractor that is a paranoid schizophrenic? Would you want the orderly in your hospital to be a paranoid schizophrenic? Or, would you be afraid that the T.V. would be telling them to slit your throat? Please note, that most people that have this diagnosis are not violent, but the assumptions and social stigma alone are enough to make even getting work difficult. Then we can go into the difficulty communicating and the myriad of other potential symptoms that can affect how well someone can hold down a job.

I would say that the safety net is there exactly for such circumstances. It is fortunate that you will never have to walk a mile in those shoes and see what your "choices" really are.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You do realize that the majority of jobs available to the general public are minimum wage jobs right? I worked 42 hours one week and didn't even break 300 dollars on my paycheck.

And then there's the people like me, who work too many hours to have food stamps. But still don't make enough to pay for good food. I was sick the other week, and my boyfriend went to the store to buy ingredients to make a pot of chicken noodle soup (my throat was so sore and swollen I could hardly swallow anything.) He bought:

1 small container of chicken.
2 SMALL generic brand cans of chicken broth.
1 box of gluten free noodles (I am allergic to gluten so this was necessary.)

And as an extra, bought a bag of generic popsicles.

On his receipt it was 50 dollars. He was mortified.

It was good, and after a few bowls of it every day for a couple days, I felt a lot better. But 50 dollars for 5 items?

Not everyone can be as lucky as you, good sir.

And for some reason this did not quote the person is was supposed to quote. Which was 55 hour man on a past page.
edit on 2-9-2014 by Lyxdeslic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I was vegan for a couple of years then veggie for a decade. I always cooked some meat (or dairy products) for my growing son and added it to his meal just before serving. Nothing strange about that, I didn't want to indoctrinate him with my views.

...oh, and I finally cracked with a bacon sandwich while walking past a snack bar one day, haven't looked back since, or felt as healthy, but that's another story.

Lots of people go through this. I'm actually jelly. I have allergies, there's no going back for me.

I did ask my kids if they wanted to go vegan, they chose no. You should see how happy they are to go to peoples houses that cook them meat!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

People don't understand that. I am willing to bet, that person is receivimg money he put in his SS account while working.

What I don't understand is why that's offensive to others. Maybe they are jelly of that.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Also as an added thought..
The majority of people who are on food stamps do work, and if they don't work they are disabled or retired.
Which is really sad if you think about it... Retired people working their whole lives just so they can starve.

There are very few junkies on food stamps. They've done the 'drug test people on welfare' thing, and they didn't get the results that they wanted. www.thedailybeast.com...
tbo.com...
They wanted more people to be on drugs or selling drugs, but the truth is that the druggies on welfare are minorities in comparison to those using the system because they really need to.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Aren't the majority of workers at places like Walmart on foodstamps? So essentially they're underpaying people, forcing them to live in poverty while making sure their money goes back into the very system that entombed them.

Reminds me of plantations that exploited native workers. You can buy food, but only from our stores. We pay you nothing and your diet is limited to what we provide.

Same circumstances except many are kept too comfortable with cell phones, air conditioning, tvs to keep them occupied and not even consider such a thing as rebellion.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join