It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two weeks of groceries on food stamps

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
If I was in that situation it would be best to be vegetarian. I'm already one so it's surprising how cheap veggies are compared to meats. I consume mostly rice and beans, various veggies and a lot of raw fruit. But that's just me. If you have the time maybe you can garden, find a food kitchen that lets you take home stuff in containers or gives bags away in packages (lots of places only have sit down meals and then allow a sandwich or so to be wrapped up but others let you take back tons). Or if you don't already, try stretching meals with broths, or more noodles, ruffage compared to the more expensive ingredients.

If you get tired of eating the same stuff, try preparing it differently. Or utilizing cheap spices and herbs like the dried ones. I don't know your situation at all but I feel very bad that you have only that to live off of. Despite these programs being in effect, this economy leaves little alternative and a lot of people on them can't find work at all, or work that's enough to sustain them.

Can everybody start organizing communities and start planting food in vacant lots, lawns, etc? Can you imagine how much food a dedicated, informed group of people with the right tools can grow on vacant land that's been that way for years? In nearly every neighborhood there's land that's been untouched, left open or used for discarded junk. Heck, get all the gardeners and tell everyone it's food for the poor and needy, if you want to help in your spare time go ahead.

Sorry for being off topic lol. This is a good thread. Gets me thinking.

That will go on until the Federal directed city/state authorities come and threaten everyone with fines, police action and lawsuit for using a vacant lot that has junk lying around on it for the last 15 years.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
OP I applaud you. I work in the grocery buisness and it has made me bitter. Fat greasy scum bags come into the store I work at with their twelve kids and bulging bellies, EBT cards in hand and proceed to buy complete junk, and I've counted multiple times how many twelve pack of pop they get. Last time the customer got SEVEN twelve packs of pop and nothing but steaks, snacks, allot of snacks, and pretty much anything and everything a child shouldn't eat .... And the worst part is most of these people have entitlement complexes. Like they're owed it all or something. They're never nice and 99% of the time have glistening new cars. So I applaud you for actually being a thoughtful and decent person.
edit on 2-9-2014 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

You nailed it. Entitlement complexes. Many think these systems are to get them up to middle class and beyond living status. Cell phones, tvs, steak, cars, etc. And they all believe they're owed something. Bad things happen to people in this economy but no one should have to pay for mistakes and the sloth of others.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Yeah, that's not much. I am glad however to see you're a smart shopper, I wouldn't want to see what I would do with $52 at a grocery store. My wife and I are light eaters, we are both thin and I'm a non mammal eating vegetarian. We spend 170-$200 a week at the grocery store (not always is it all food stuffs, though we don't drink alcohol either.) I hope you come out of the situation that requires your needing to look for some help from the government, though calling it help is a bit of a stretch.
I have heard if you have kids, the amount you get goes up exponentially. Again, it's like the government wants you to have kids you can't afford to take care of. I have always made my way on my own. It scares the cr@p out of me thinking that one day I will be on social security. I am doing all the preps I can so I won't be at the governments mercy, although I have put a BUTT load into taxes and S.S.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Don't let your personal experience turn you bitter. You know what you rang up, I can't argue that. I wonder though if these people understand they're buying poison.

That's what we call all that crap in my house. When I got put on the no migraine diet, my kids got it too to a lesser extent.

Think about this though, if I came through your isle with coconut shavings, coconut oil and dark chocolate drops in the mist of all my veggies would your first thought be I shouldn't be making candy? That's what I do with it, I make candy with those ingredients. Its still junk food, just minus all the processing poison.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm outraged

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699
OP I applaud you. I work in the grocery buisness and it has made me bitter. Fat greasy scum bags come into the store I work at with their twelve kids and bulging bellies, ...... Like they're owed it all or something. They're never nice and 99% of the time have glistening new cars. So I applaud you for actually being a thoughtful and decent person.

Gee, it only six pages until the "I saw people in a nice car" as proof food stamps are abused argument to be made. It usually happens on page one or two.

Perhaps they tend not to be friendly towards someone who thinks they are fat greasy scum bags?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I'm a "hard working taxpayer" and my fridge looks like the one on the left. Speaking of, I probably need to clean it out...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I would like to point out a few things about the OP shopping trip:

1. It only provided two meals a day.
2. No fruit
3. No fresh veggies
4. No fish (not even tuna)
5. No diary

Plus it didn't provide a variety of foods. Yes, it will keep her alive but think about the CHILDREN, elderly or disabled eating this diet long-term. It's not a healthy diet long-term and most people who not feel satisfied on this diet.

The kids will not have a breakfast and they will go to school hungry. Plus, how in the world can this be packed for lunch?

The middle class also doesn't understand in the city there are very few grocery stores and the ones around are over-priced. They really can be about double it would be in richer neighborhoods. The suburban store is willing to have a sale on chicken because they think they will make it up on higher end items. That doesn't happen in poor areas. Plus most people don't have a car to shop around.

It's a shame that most people still think people should suffer on food stamps. Most are children, disabled or elderly. Why make these people suffer because a small number might abuse the system?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2

Where I live, the poorer parts of town have cheaper groceries -- even from the same grocery chains. If I drive to the richest part of town and go to a Kroger, the prices will be a tad bit higher than a Kroger across town in the ghetto.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Based on what evidence?

Let me guess, you once saw nice car in the drive way of a family rumored to be on welfare?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

No one should have to work that much in order to eat better than that. That is unless you want to eat REALLY well.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Think about this though, if I came through your isle with coconut shavings, coconut oil and dark chocolate drops in the mist of all my veggies would your first thought be I shouldn't be making candy? That's what I do with it, I make candy with those ingredients. Its still junk food, just minus all the processing poison.

I like veggies but I have a sweet tooth. I wouldn't say I have no self control but I know what I've done to chocolate bars in the past. Why put myself in the position where there's a mental battle to not eat a piece of candy? It's much better (and healthier) to not buy it in the first place. That way the temptation is only there in the grocery store.

If you came by and offered me a homemade mounds bar vs a salad it would really depend on how hungry I was. I like them both but a salad just isn't satisfying in the same way unless you're looking for something filling.

originally posted by: Hr2burn
I have heard if you have kids, the amount you get goes up exponentially. Again, it's like the government wants you to have kids you can't afford to take care of. I have always made my way on my own. It scares the cr@p out of me thinking that one day I will be on social security. I am doing all the preps I can so I won't be at the governments mercy, although I have put a BUTT load into taxes and S.S.

No kids in my case but yes, that's true. Our welfare system such as it is isn't built around the idea of helping adults, it's built around the idea of supporting children. As a result if you have no kids you get virtually no help. The more kids you have the more you're paid until the kids are over 18. Even one child will give you rent money, lots of food (relatively), money for bills, and some extra. If you're poor and don't have kids though all you get is food stamps. In my case though I also get disability which is a whole other mess of a system that penalizes a person for trying to work past their disability and get a job. In theory I also get wages from my 20 hour/week job but I only clear $10/paycheck from that before accounting for things like the gas to get to work. That's another topic though.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

There are actually many people on food stamps that are full time working poor.

Prior to the earthquake, my fridge looked like the one on the left and I was a full time working taxpayer. After the earthquake in Napa my fridge looked like the right minus the actual piece of food inside. I lost ALL of my food except for a soy sauce and mustard that hadn't been opened yet. On top of that...I lost my job. So, now since I was laid off and lost all my food after a natural disaster...am I still a welfare recipient? Am I a lazy slime ball? No...I've paid into the system and am getting benefits I'm entitled to, to help survive until I can get back on my feet after this nightmare.

It's a hard world out there and not everyone on food stamps is lazy. Many people in my town are seeking assistance. HHS was packed to the max.
edit on 2-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
... He bought:

1 small container of chicken.
2 SMALL generic brand cans of chicken broth.
1 box of gluten free noodles (I am allergic to gluten so this was necessary.)

And as an extra, bought a bag of generic popsicles.

On his receipt it was 50 dollars. He was mortified.

It was good, and after a few bowls of it every day for a couple days, I felt a lot better. But 50 dollars for 5 items?

Where in the holy heck are shopping? Beverly Hills? In Denver, at almost -any- grocery store, I can buy a rotisserie chicken for 5 bucks (with leftovers after making soup), two cans of broth for 3 bucks (1.50 ea), gluten free noodles might run you 4 bucks, and popsicles maybe 3 bucks.

So.. 15 bucks.. TOPS (plus tax). You can probably get some of that on sale, and get it cheaper. You are saying he paid 10 bucks each for each item on your list. I'm sorry if I seem incredulous that he paid 10 bucks for a can of broth or a box of popsicles.

Also, those #'s seem low for assistance. The average last year I believe was around 135.00 - that's for a single person. So at 110.00.. that's well below average. I think the max you can get is around 190.00 for one person. So.. I guess bad luck for the 110.00 person.. he is not the norm. Not that 25 more bucks would make a huge difference, but it helps. It is just assistance after all. Keep in mind those who often get these benefits, often are elderly, disabled, etc... and also receive other benefits as well.

There is also a slew of sites offering budget means.. 2 to 3 bucks a serving, etc.. and decent stuff too, not just.. rice. You just need to do a modicum of research. No, it's not perfect.. but food assistance is not a long-term solution to feed you or your family.

Mind.. I'm unhappy with minimum wages as they stand. Our rates today are pathetic compared with what we had in say, the 1960s. Just miserable, non-existent raises (since inflation outstrips it.. people are actually getting losses in pay, not increases).

The only thing I can suggest is take up a trade where you won't be making minimum wage. Just do a bit of research. There are plenty of companies out there that start their employees at 10.00 + bucks an hour. Or even better, go through a temp agency. You are golden if you do this - they stupidly overcharge the employer paying for that employee - you work your butt off, you get hired, and at a very decent rate, since to the employer, you are now a bargain.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I don't know how you guys can get by on like $52 a week or fortnight, I'm hard pressed to think of a single time in the last 2 years where I've spent less than $100/week at the grocery store for myself. I save money not having a car but the closest grocery store is the most expensive in the country. I just put it all on my student loan, worry about it in a few more years.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
Also, those #'s seem low for assistance. The average last year I believe was around 135.00 - that's for a single person. So at 110.00.. that's well below average. I think the max you can get is around 190.00 for one person. So.. I guess bad luck for the 110.00 person.. he is not the norm. Not that 25 more bucks would make a huge difference, but it helps. It is just assistance after all. Keep in mind those who often get these benefits, often are elderly, disabled, etc... and also receive other benefits as well.

I get disability too, however I want some sort of employment history when I graduate so I also work. With the way things are set up working reduces my income. By not working I would get the full $130 but that's hardly all that different. The other benefits I get go to things like gas in my car so I can goto school and rent. There's nothing there to divert to groceries.

The only thing I can suggest is take up a trade where you won't be making minimum wage. Just do a bit of research. There are plenty of companies out there that start their employees at 10.00 + bucks an hour. Or even better, go through a temp agency. You are golden if you do this - they stupidly overcharge the employer paying for that employee - you work your butt off, you get hired, and at a very decent rate, since to the employer, you are now a bargain.

I'm in school, I've partially completed it and already hold a couple of degrees but my field requires a good deal of education. Two more years to be completely done. That doesn't change the fact though that jobs have to actually exist for me to take, and I of course would like a better quality of life while finishing school. I would be amazed if any employer in this area started employees at $10/hour. Our per capita income of adults is roughly $14,000/person with the median family wage being $21,000 (and an average family size of 2.93). Note that this means the per capita income is minimum wage at 34 hours/week.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Nailed it, first reply.

For a while i've wanted to say i took me a minute to relaize what your avatar was. I grew up in NY so it's pretty bad I didn't catch it on first sight. I might have but I don't remember. I'm not a stupid person I just have bad memory unless it's pertinent to my life now

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tompumped

For a while i've wanted to say i took me a minute to relaize what your avatar was.

I get all sorts of remarks about it. I should've probably picked something different, but it's who I am on the site now. -shrug-

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Aquaponics doesn't require a lot of maintenance. No weeding, auto watering, auto fish feeders etc make it practically easier than travelling to the supermarket for supplies. Wooden tables can be covered with screwed down poolycarbonate panels to cover the plants (also green house for winter) with side padlocked panels for access. You could even make an aquaponics system with a couple heavy bathtubs if you wanted . If you surround the entire system with barbed wire and protect with a $10-20 motion sensor alarm it should repel the majority of thieves.

You don't mention what type of disability you have but is a car a real necessity for you. People have sold their cars and used bicycles for everyday living and saved heaps in the process. A LWB recumbent or lightfoot trike fitted with a hub motor and lithium batteries can travel 100 miles for less than 50 cents in electricity. Its not as comfortable as a car but anything that stands in the way of our survival needs to be considered a liability.

Things are only going to get worse from increasing inflation so rather than procrastinate over the negatives we need take ownership of our survival.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join