It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity pens open letter to Merkel Warns of False Intelligenc

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

MEMORANDUM FOR: Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany
FROM: Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)
SUBJECT: Ukraine and NATO

We the undersigned are longtime veterans of U.S. intelligence. We take the unusual step of writing this open letter to you to ensure that you have an opportunity to be briefed on our views prior to the NATO summit on September 4-5.

You need to know, for example, that accusations of a major Russian "invasion" of Ukraine appear not to be supported by reliable intelligence. Rather, the "intelligence" seems to be of the same dubious, politically "fixed" kind used 12 years ago to "justify" the U.S.-led attack on Iraq. We saw no credible evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq then; we see no credible evidence of a Russian invasion now. Twelve years ago, former Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, mindful of the flimsiness of the evidence on Iraqi WMD, refused to join in the attack on Iraq. In our view, you should be appropriately suspicions of charges made by the US State Department and NATO officials alleging a Russian invasion of Ukraine.

President Barack Obama tried yesterday to cool the rhetoric of his own senior diplomats and the corporate media, when he publicly described recent activity in the Ukraine, as "a continuation of what’s been taking place for months now … it’s not really a shift."

Obama, however, has only tenuous control over the policymakers in his administration – who, sadly, lack much sense of history, know little of war, and substitute anti-Russian invective for a policy. One year ago, hawkish State Department officials and their friends in the media very nearly got Mr. Obama to launch a major attack on Syria based, once again, on "intelligence" that was dubious, at best.> Snip.

Link

Maybe just maybe we have a shot at not going to war with Russia. I sure hope so. At least there are some sane voices out there that have a ton a credibility.
edit on 1-9-2014 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: GrantedBail

Maybe just maybe we have a shot at not going to war with Russia. I sure hope so. At least there are some sane voices out there that have a ton a credibility.

Hopefully you're right. I was wondering if there were any sane people left in the EU with all this NATO pushing for conflict. If we get one more YouTube video and faked DigitalGlobe satellite picture I'm going to scream.

Heard that Merkel was going to resign before the 2017 elections. Maybe she wants to get to her bunker before the SHTF.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i hope saner heads prevailed in washington..

all these manufactured conflict and crisis , to what end ?

did the US Goverment so scared of losing it's relevancy and military budget if the world is at peace ? why they never stop inciting violence and regime-change everywhere when it is obvious that it will bring massive death and suffering to innocent civilians ?

America now showed it's true face , on one hand acting as the bringer of liberty and freedom , and on the other hand death and suffering and theft..

Just like the Imperial Rome

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
All it takes is for americans to pay attention (I know, this is a BIG problem with americans ) to the web of disinfo and its obvious deceit. As far as I can tell, heres where we are:

- The Western political regime has been failing for a long time, and has maintained a constant "crisis-mode" in order to keep the facade up and the dissent down.

- The financial fraud has long since engulfed the entire economic system of the west, to where now virtually every market is dominated by these fraudsters.

- To placate the inattentive masses, the narratives (political, social and economic) must become more and more bizzare in order to maintain the look of "sanity."

- The corporate press are so desperate to maintain the failed narratives and faux polarities that little or no truth is revealed by the former 4th estate.

- Because of the ongoing narrative, people die every day - through murder, hardship and suicide - so that a few can benefit from this failed society.

- The most powerful and technologically advanced military in the world is still serving this failed regime.

If you try to find reason or good social conscience in any of it, it will do nothing but make you mentally sick , because all it is there to do is to hide the truth and to cover the tracks of traitor elites that will destroy everyone rather than relinquish power.

Since I have let go of the otherwise meaningless narratives peddled on MSM and by gov talking heads, I really do see where much of it all fits together. What I'm saying is, there is much less cognitive dissonance when you realize that your society actually is caving in on itself. The best thing I can suggest if and when you come to these conclusions is to set long-term constructive goals that assume the above is true. Don't panic. Make goals. Here are some I came up with:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

OK so these guys are retired CIA/NSA and they do not think Russia is involved.......Really. Most people with 2 braincells that are not pro-Russia see this for what it really is. And to be honest imagine if this was Mexico and the tables were turned we would already be at WW3.

So Yes I think Russia has the right to a secure border and I also think they invaded the Ukraine to do it.
edit on 1-9-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

OK so these guys are retired CIA/NSA and they do not think Russia is involved.......Really. Most people with 2 braincells that are not pro-Russia see this for what it really is. And to be honest imagine if this was Mexico and the tables were turned we would already be at WW3.

So Yes I think Russia has the right to a secure border and I also think they invaded the Ukraine to do it.

Yeah, lets imagine this was mexico, and pro Iranians have just chased out the Mexican government and announced the US hostile and a threat to Mexican security.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: buntalanlucu

All it takes is for americans to pay attention (I know, this is a BIG problem with americans ) to the web of disinfo and its obvious deceit.

Your quite right on that one. I know that I have facebook friends and family members that have said point blank,they do not want to hear anything political, that they have their own beliefs and are sticking by them. So if we end up in a huge fight over seas or rebellion here, I guess they will be scratching their heads and asking what happened.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Everybody knows those Russian are only in Ukraine because they are on vacation or lost. It just so happens in Russia tanks and APCs are use for recreational vehicles.

And yes all that bad intelligence like satelitte photos of the Russains, the rebels saying the Russians were their, funerals in Russia for Russian soldiers killed in Ukraine, Russian military commanders admitting Russians have been killed and hurt in Ukraine and you know Russian soldiers being captured in Ukraine. What kind of evidence is that... I am going to guess these veteraln intelligence professional spent their careers working COMINT listing to Iranian weather stations.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I am gonna call BS and that's based on the way the memo is written and words it uses. The members of this group are all former government officials in various alphabet agencies who have serious issues with the foreign policy of the United States. In addition to their latest piece, they also drafted a memo in 2003 about Iraq and a 2010 memo that warned the white house that an imminent Israeli attack on Iran was present (never happened).

The people listed -

William Edward Binneyis a former highly placed intelligence official with the United States National Security Agency (NSA)[3] turned whistleblower who resigned on October 31, 2001, after more than 30 years with the agency. He was a high-profile critic of his former employers during the George W. Bush administration.

David MacMichael is a former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) analyst. A ten-year veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, he was a counter-insurgency expert in South-East Asia for four years.[1] He also served as an analyst for the National Intelligence Council from 1981-1983. MacMichael graduated with an MA and Ph.D. in History from the University of Oregon.

MacMichael resigned from the CIA in July 1983 because he felt the Agency was misrepresenting intelligence for political reasons.

Raymond McGovern (born August 25, 1939) is a retired CIA officer turned political activist. McGovern was a CIA analyst from 1963 to 1990, and in the 1980s chaired National Intelligence Estimates and prepared the President's Daily Brief. He received the Intelligence Commendation Medal at his retirement, returning it in 2006 in protest at the CIA's involvement in torture.[1] McGovern's post-retirement work includes commentating on intelligence issues and in 2003 co-founding Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity.

Elizabeth Murray served as Deputy National Intelligence Officer for the Near East in the National Intelligence Council before retiring after a 27-year career in the U.S. government, where she specialized in Middle Eastern political and media analysis. She is a member of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS).

Todd Pierce is an American lawyer and an officer in the United States Army Reserve, who volunteered to help defend Guantanamo captives.[1][2] Pierce took leave from the State of Minnesota's Department of Administration on June 1, 2008.

An article Pierce published in the the National Law Journal on the tenth anniversary of the opening of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, triggered widespread comments.[3] Accord

“As evident in Yoo and Delahunty’s legal memos asserting unitary executive authority, the legal theory underpinning Guantánamo and the military commissions were an assault upon the structure of our form of constitutional government; lawfare. It was not the inevitable conclusion required by the Sept. 11 attacks, but the exploitation of a tragedy to import a foreign legal ideology, a legal bacillus, into our legal system.”

Coleen Rowley (born December 20, 1954) is an American former FBI agent and whistleblower, and was a Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL) candidate for Congress in Minnesota's 2nd congressional district, one of eight congressional districts in Minnesota in 2006. She lost the general election to Republican incumbent John Kline.[1]

Shortly after becoming a Special Agent with the FBI, Rowley was assigned to the Omaha, Nebraska and Jackson, Mississippi divisions. Beginning in 1984, she spent six years working in the New York field office on investigations involving organized crime. She also served in the U.S. embassy in Paris and the consulate in Montreal. In 1990, she was assigned to the FBI's Minneapolis field office, where she became the chief legal adviser.[citation needed]

After the September 11, 2001 attacks, Rowley wrote a paper for FBI Director Robert Mueller documenting how FBI HQ personnel in Washington, D.C., had mishandled and failed to take action on information provided by the Minneapolis, Minnesota Field Office regarding its investigation of suspected terrorist Zacarias Moussaoui. Moussaoui had been suspected of being involved in preparations for a suicide-hijacking similar to the December 1994 "Eiffel Tower" hijacking of Air France 8969. Failures identified by Rowley may have left the U.S. vulnerable to the September 11, 2001, attacks. Rowley was one of many agents frustrated by the events that led up to the attacks, writing:

During the early aftermath of September 11th, when I happened to be recounting the pre–September 11th events concerning the Moussaoui investigation to other FBI personnel in other divisions or in FBIHQ, almost everyone's first question was "Why?--Why would an FBI agent(s) deliberately sabotage a case? (I know I shouldn't be flippant about this, but jokes were actually made that the key FBI HQ personnel had to be spies or moles like Robert Hanssen who were actually working for Osama Bin Laden to have so undercut Minneapolis's effort.) [4][5][6]

Rowley testified in front of the Senate and for the 9/11 Commission about the FBI's internal organization and mishandling of information related to the September 11, 2001, attacks. Mueller and Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) pushed for and got a major reorganization, focused on creation of the new Office of Intelligence at the FBI. This reorganization was supported with a significant expansion of FBI personnel with counterterrorism and language skills.[citation needed]

Rowley retired from the FBI in 2004 after 24 years with the agency.

Mary Ann Wright (born 1947) is a former United States Army colonel and retired U.S. State Department official, known for her outspoken opposition to the Iraq War. She received the State Department Award for Heroism in 1997, after helping to evacuate several thousand people during the civil war in Sierra Leone.[1] She is most noted for having been one of three State Department officials to publicly resign in direct protest of the 2003 Invasion of Iraq. Wright was also a passenger on the Challenger 1, which along with the Mavi Marmara, was part of the Gaza flotilla.

Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity

Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS) is a small group of former officers of the United States Intelligence Community. It was formed in January 2003 as a "coast-to-coast enterprise" to protest the use of faulty intelligence "upon which the US/UK invasion of Iraq was based." The group issued a letter before the 2003 invasion of Iraq stating that intelligence analysts were not being listened to by policy makers. Initially the group numbered 25, mostly retired analysts.[1] Kathleen Christison and William Christison, Santa Fe, NM - resigned from VIPS in July 2003, over a memo calling for Cheney’s resignation.[2] In August 2010 it issued a memorandum to the White House warning of an imminent Israeli attack on Iran.

edit on 1-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Anti Federalist - Ukraine does not have a federalist constitution.
Their comment on Syria and wmd use was shown to be wrong by the UN inspections of the incidents in question, which showed the rebels and Assad used chemical weapons. approx. 14 incidents in 2013 alone.

They all have axes to grind with US foreign policy base mainly on their personal disagreements and opinions.

For the most part they all have been out of the loop for decades now and I don't think they are going to continue to have access to the latest intelligence.

While their argument may have some truth (personally I don't think it does) they do a poor job of representing it based on their past. Its interesting that a group of people will call the US foreign policy into question with out disclosing their serious issues they have had with the government. I raise this point because it goes to the motive behind their memo and the issues it raises.

Could it be possible this group is engaging in this endeavor in an effort to cause problem and not assist Germany?

Just raising some counter points.

In cases like this the info should be heard but verified.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Umm is he holding evidence left over from Clinton Presidency and zippergate ?

As for the main topic I dont think we know whats going on behind the scenes . It would not be surprise me if someone is lying . Remember the old service saying the biggest oxymoron is military intelligence .

These days I am having a hard time sifting threw the propaganda from all sides . Truth is always the first casualty of war.

We need these villains so we can be manipulated into going to war and sacrificing thousands of lives for more oil land gold and the biggest aphrodisiac of all POWER.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well, I wouldn't swear that it is authentic but I did find a website that has all of VIPS publications

YOU ARE HEREcontent / Publications of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity

Publications of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity

32. MEMORANDUM FOR: Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany
SUBJECT: Ukraine and NATO
August 29, 2014
LINK.

31. MEMORANDUM FOR: The President
SUBJECT: Intelligence on Shoot-Down of Malaysian Plane
July 29, 2014
LINK.

30. MEMORANDUM FOR: The President
SUBJECT: Urgent Action on Ukraine
May 4, 2014
LINK.

29. MEMORANDUM FOR: THE PRESIDENT
SUBJECT: Russia, Ukraine, and the U.S. National Interest
April 28, 2014
LINK.

28. MEMORANDUM FOR: The President
SUBJECT: NSA Insiders Reveal What Went Wrong
January 7, 2014
LINK.

27. MEMORANDUM FOR: The President
SUBJECT: Fire Clapper
December 11, 2013

warisacrime.org...

a reply to: Xcathdra

edit on 1-9-2014 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I am not questioning the fact the wrote the material and posted / published it. I am questioning their motives for doing so based on their backgrounds and reasons they left government service. The number of years they have been out of government service would tend to suggest they are no longer in the know for current intelligence information.

As I stated, the info they published should be read but verified.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Awesome. I plan to observe, er read, it all.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I am not questioning the fact the wrote the material and posted / published it. I am questioning their motives for doing so based on their backgrounds and reasons they left government service. The number of years they have been out of government service would tend to suggest they are no longer in the know for current intelligence information.

As I stated, the info they published should be read but verified.

They most assuredly know more about these matters than some random poster on ATS forum who doubted their motives, especially for an anoymous poster with no credential to back him up with rebuttal..

sometimes it is hard for some people to accept truth and fact even if it is in front of them , because their mind already so deluded by lies , they can lost their mental stability if they accept the truth.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: buntalanlucu

I think you are confusing me with pro Russians.

Last I checked I stated the info should be published but verified. I also stated my reasons for that, which is the background of these individuals.

It would be like Snowden quitting the NSA and leaving the country and posting classified information about intelligence operations.

is the information accurate / verifiable?
The second HUGE question that must be asked revolves around the complete motive for the action itself. All it takes is one leak that is verifiable for people on this site to assume any and all other info coming out from the same person is also truthful.

Was the original leak based on moral standards and a true disagreement with the action or is it based on political ideology and a desire to punish those whom he thinks are morally and legally wrong?

One more time so pay attention -

The information should be published and heard by people but also VERIFIED. Something a lot of people supporting Russia fail to do.

has it ever once crossed your mind that Putin / Russia might by lying / omitting information?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: buntalanlucu

Saner heads will NOT prevail.

Washington wants World War 3, and I got news for ya.

They expect YOU to fight and die in it.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

No, Russians are in Ukraine to protect themselves from people who seek to destroy Russia and make a mockery of survivors. 20 year plan.

And no, I am not talking Ukraine,

I am talking USA

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BaconNeggs2

Russia is the one threatening to use nukes, not the west.

and I see we have another member who joined one day ago and b lines for these types of threads.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: BaconNeggs2

Russia is the one threatening to use nukes, not the west.

and I see we have another member who joined one day ago and b lines for these types of threads.

Oh come on! Please show us the evidence of Russia threatening to use nukes against Ukraine. You seem to just make this stuff up, or quote crazy nutjobs in the Ukraine government and their facebook and other social media postings. So far, none of the "evidence" you keep posting over and over again would stand up in any court of law!

For what is considered a conspiracy site, you sure do seem to like pushing the government line a lot, despite the conplete lack of any credible evidence to back it up, and the past history of downright lies used to push conflict and kill people who maybe have a different outlook on things.

Edit to add..... what has someones join date to this site have to do with anything? Are you suggesting new members should be muzzled and only longer term members should be allowed to post an opinion? How very authoritarian of you, but showing typical American arrogance!

edit on 2-9-2014 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join