It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown orange/red glow over Pacific Ocean

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+123 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I came across this story on a Dutch website. This is my first thread, I didn't know where to post this, please move the thread if it doesn't belong here.

Link to PBase.com Story
edit on 25-8-2014 by AnonymousWitness because: Added the link to the story on PBase.com

Last night over the Pacific Ocean, somewhere South of the Russian peninsula Kamchatka I experienced the creepiest thing so far in my flying career.
After about 5 hours in flight we left Japan long time behind us and were cruising at a comfortable 34.000ft with about 4,5 hours to go towards Alaska.
We heard via the radio about earthquakes in Iceland, Chile and San Francisco, and since there were a few volcanos on our route that might or might not be going off during our flight, we double checked with dispatch if there was any new activity on our route after we departed from Hongkong.
Then, very far in the distance ahead of us, just over the horizon an intense lightflash shot up from the ground. It looked like a lightning bolt, but way more intense and directed vertically up in the air. I have never seen anything like this, and there were no flashes before or after this single explosion of light.
Since there were no thunderstorms on our route or weather-radar, we kept a close lookout for possible storms that might be hiding from our radar and might cause some problems later on.

I decided to try and take some pictures of the night sky and the strange green glow that was all over the Northern Hemisphere. I think it was sort of a Northern Lights but it was much more dispersed, never seen anything like this before either. About 20 minutes later in flight I noticed a deep red/orange glow appearing ahead of us, and this was a bit strange since there was supposed to be nothing but endless ocean below us for hundreds of miles around us. A distant city or group of typical Asian squid-fishing-boats would not make sense in this area, apart from the fact that the lights we saw were much larger in size and glowed red/orange, instead of the normal yellow and white that cities or ships would produce.
The closer we got, the more intense the glow became, illuminating the clouds and sky below us in a scary orange glow. In a part of the world where there was supposed to be nothing but water.
The only cause of this red glow that we could think of, was the explosion of a huge volcano just underneath the surface of the ocean, about 30 minutes before we overflew that exact position.
Since the nearest possible airport was at least 2 hours flying away, and the idea of flying into a highly dangerous and invisible ash-plume in the middle of the night over the vast Pacific Ocean we felt not exactly happy. Fortunately we did not encounter anything like this, but together with the very creepy unexplainable deep red/orange glow from the ocean's surface, we felt everything but comfortable. There was also no other traffic near our position or on the same routing to confirm anything of what we saw or confirm any type of ash clouds encountered.

We reported our observations to Air Traffic Control and an investigation into what happened in this remote region of the ocean is now started.

Two photos included, hardly edited except for watermark and resize. Note that photos are taken with extremely high ISO (sensor sensitivity) so quality might be a bit poor. Also an overview of our route + marking of the location is included.

Now I'm just hoping that if a new island has been formed there, at least it can be named after me as the official discoverer.

That would be pretty cool!

edit on 25-8-2014 by AnonymousWitness because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2014 by AnonymousWitness because: (no reason given)

UPDATE: per request: 08/28/2014

-Extra information given by the photographer (click), along with FAQ's & answers given by the photographer
-FAQ Part II (click)
-Extra photos and google-earth map with underwater geography

To view the photos in higer resolution go to the photographer's website (click)

To be continued..

edit on 8/28/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: per request: 08/28/2014

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Wow, excellent pics. I wonder if this has anything to do with the Earthquakes. It is very strange. I could see where maybe Earths magnetic field is disrupted during an earthquake creating these lights. Still awesome firsthand account

+6 more 
link   
Bioluminsecent Phytoplankton? or something similar?

That's my best guess, beautiful though.

Here it is in the day. GLOW

edit on 25-8-2014 by Briles1207 because: INSERT LINK

link   
Quite sharp pictures for long exposures taken from an airplane.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hmm...Strange and interesting.

Nice presentation, only need a link

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Such wonders never cease to amaze me.

The focused lighting beam account has me intrigued.

S&F

edit on 25/8/14 by Strewth because: thanks for the link OP.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousWitness

Awesome Find! I Think It Could Be a New Land Mass Sprouting Up. Pretty Kool to Find it Like This. Glad No One Got Hurt.
Still, the Strange Light Beam is What Throws Me Off. Are There Any More Information or Detail Pertaining to the Light Beam?
I Would Say that Whatever Was in the Crust, Heated Up b/c of All the Seismic Activity and Jetted Outta There. Earth is Shaking Also From the CME That Are Hitting Earths Weak Magnetic Field. The Fact that It is Located in the Ring of Fire is Irrelevant Simply Because of that is the way Earths Mantle and Crust of the Continental Tectonic Plates are Placed, Weak Spots Perfect for New Land Development.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies everyone, have added the link to the opening post

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Very interesting, great find OP

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

This is being discussed on the Dutch website as well, I am no expert in photography, so I have no explanation for it. I hope someone can explain this.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Possibly a CME that hit around this time from what I have read. Looks like a nice light show but I don't know if that could make the water light up like that.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousWitness

This is being discussed on the Dutch website as well, I am no expert in photography, so I have no explanation for it. I hope someone can explain this.

I am a bit suspicious but it is an obvious high vantage point. ISS?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This reminds me of the Doorway To Hell, in Darvaza.Just the entire overall surrounding look of it. Has there been any kind of photography akin to this style done in the Darvaza area before? it could be someone trying to pass on photos from there as something else.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Briles1207
Bioluminsecent Phytoplankton? or something similar?

That's my best guess, beautiful though.

It certainly could explain the large area described, but there are very few species that have a red glow, and some of those are infra red. If you look at the pictures though, there is also yellow light, kind of what you might expect from lava say, along with the red glow.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I also wonder if this could be a algae bloom that is glowing....I know they typically glow blue, but maybe a new type of algae bloom that glows red? Like red tide?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: smurfy

I also wonder if this could be a algae bloom that is glowing....I know they typically glow blue, but maybe a new type of algae bloom that glows red? Like red tide?

Yes, but I think what they call 'Red tide' is a precursor to the blue glow..at night anyway.
I'm thinking now that this might be more eruptions from 'new' island called, 'Nishinoshima'. It first appeared in the 70's, but there were more eruptions in late 2013, and most of what was called Nishinoshima has been subsumed by an even bigger island. Currently it is active with lava fields, and ash, and seeded clouds, etc.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

No ISS, it was taken from a 747-8 Freighter at 34.000ft.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Looks like lava.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is why I joined ats what a great thread .
We'll done op !

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
File name: sx53fb3e65.jpg
File size: 184990 bytes (3000x2000, 0.2bpp, 97x)
EXIF Summary: 8s f/2.8 ISO12800 10.5mm (35mm eq:10mm)

Camera-Specific Properties:

Equipment Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D800
Camera Software: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/2.8
Sensing Method: One-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern: 922
Focal Length (35mm Equiv): 10 mm

Image-Specific Properties:

Image Width: 3000
Image Height: 2000
Number of Bits Per Component: 8, 8, 8
Pixel Composition: RGB
Image Orientation: Top, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution: 300 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 300 dpi
Image Created: 2014:08:25 12:06:44
Exposure Time: 8 sec
F-Number: f/2.8
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Rating: 12800
Lens Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Metering Mode: Pattern
Light Source: Unknown
Flash: No Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length: 10.50 mm
Color Space Information: sRGB
Image Width: 534
Image Height: 356
Rendering: Normal
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Gain Control: High Gain Up
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Subject Distance Range: Unknown

Other Properties:

Number of Components: 3
Resolution Unit: i
Exif IFD Pointer: 288
Compression Scheme: JPEG Compression (Thumbnail)
Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 72 dpi
Resolution Unit: i
Offset to JPEG SOI: 1086
Bytes of JPEG Data: 2779
Exif Version: 2.21
Image Generated: 2014:08:24 11:22:21
Image Digitized: 2014:08:24 11:22:21
Shutter Speed: 1/0 sec
DateTime Second Fraction: 40
DateTimeOriginal Second Fraction: 40
DateTimeDigitized Second Fraction: 40
Focal Plane Horiz Resolution: 2048 dpcm
Focal Plane Vert Resolution: 2048 dpcm
Focal Plane Res Unit: cm
File Source: Digital Still Camera
Scene Type: Directly Photographed
Digital Zoom Ratio: 1

Here is the EXIF data; I'm kinda confused myself about the 8 second exposure time. Im gonna ask my brother, who is a photographer, maybe he can answer this question.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join