It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Worst Right-Wing Moments This Week: Limbaugh Set to Drown in Own Toxic Spewage

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
And, to the person who is no longer responding to me,

I do not generally make a practice of defending Rush. He does say things that are calculated to be inflammatory as I mentioned (see Sandra Fluke; he didn't exactly say what people say he did, but he skirted it close). However, in this case, he is being taken completely out of context. He said nothing, nothing directly about Robin Williams as far as I have heard, only things indirectly about the reaction of others to Williams death.

And in this case, I feel the reaction is unfair. But, Rush is a pundit. I'll be far more sympathetic to the left's whining about him when they start castigating their own pundits for out-of-bounds remarks. People like Bill Maher and Ed Schultz get away with stuff that is every bit as insulting as what Rush has ever gotten away with. And I'm not excusing anything but making a point - remove the plank in thine own eye and all that.

If you want civil discourse ... fine, but don't demand one side shut up and while ignoring the wolves at your own back.

I don't want to silence anyone. You can let your wolves howl all they want. It's their right to say what they think, just expect everyone to have the same freedom, and understand that people will pick and choose what they want to listen to or read.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: ketsuko

So it looks like Limbaugh is taken out of context yet again !!

WOW.

Has Limbaugh commented on the massive Left Wing failures in Ferguson ?

Ferguson might be the Left's worst moment of the Decade (so far).

Such a dilemma.

Perhaps you can fill in the out of context part instead of complaining about it. And how is Ferguson Left Wing?
You make little sense, like Rush.
edit on 16-8-2014 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
So when Rush was jacked on painkillers for years that was "happy time" for him was it? why'd he stop having so much fun?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Rush then referenced a Fox News story that suggested that Robin had committed suicide because he was not happy with his career and he was having financial troubles.

“He had it all but he had nothing. Made everybody else laugh but was miserable inside,” Rush said of Robin. “I mean, it fits a certain picture or a certain image that the left has. Talk about low expectations and general unhappiness and so forth.”

How is that out of context? He's bashing "left" people while talking about a person that just died. Go ahead, crack a joke about it whatever, but trying to push a political agenda while talking about someone that just passed away is bad taste, low class.

He's trying to say it's about the media, but that should be two separate conversations/trains of thought/monologue, etc. And he'd have to separate the two.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
Rush is a senile old windbag who doesn`t know when to shut up.His listeners egg him on to say more and more outrageous stuff and he gladly obliges them.He`s like the fat kid who will do any dare just to try to get the cool kids to like him.

the real reason is there are millions of others out there that like what Limbuagh says, it is what they secretly believe, but won't or can't say to their neighbors or friends. they don't care who it is he insults, so long as it isn't white well-off republicans.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Rush Limbaugh is so mad his head explodes like a pinata, shooting Oxcontin pills all over the floor.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
People still listen to Rush?

Surprised he hasn't been made a police chief of some small town.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
People still listen to Rush?

Surprised he hasn't been made a police chief of some small town.

nah, wouldn't happen...people with any authority, have to give intelligent answers to intelligent questions. something Limbaugh is incapable of doing, or, would even consider doing. you think someone that makes this kind of money...www.celebritynetworth.com...
cares about changing?...he makes this kind of money off of stupid people, why change?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

If Rush wasn't a conservative, the criticism would go something like this:

Rush Limbaugh HATES AMERICA. He's never happy, never satisfied and he won't be until he's destroyed our great nation! Clearly, he's the most divisive person in our country's history.

Instead he gets kudos from the right, "He is an absolute master at baiting the left." See how that works? Even when he's wrong, he's right because after all, he was just baiting the left. On second thought, maybe you're right, he may in fact spend a lot of time on the air doing nothing but master baiting.

From the transcript:

RUSH: Well, interesting question. You know, I'm the guy that says there's politics in everything and you've gotta be able to spot it, and you're right, there is here

So right off the bat, he admits that he can spin anything into a partisan issue, which is what he proceeds to do. It's what his listeners expect, as evidenced by the caller's question. This is his actual statement (again, from transcript) that is being referenced by everyone:

If you notice the coverage is focused on how much he had, but it wasn't enough.

"He had everything, everything that you would think would make you happy. But it didn't." Now, what is the left's worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it's one of pessimism and darkness, sadness. They're never happy, are they? They're always angry about something. No matter what they get, they're always angry.

Ostensibly, he's saying that the leftist media is spinning coverage to fit the leftist worldview. This is pretty stupid and in typical Rush fashion, mindless inflammatory rhetoric, but whatever, at this point he's really just addressing the coverage. I get it. What he does next is cite a Fox News article (clearly, the most leftist reporting he can stomach) and he says (again from the transcript):

He had it all, but he had nothing. He made everybody else laugh but was miserable inside. I mean, it fits a certain picture, or a certain image that the left has. Talk about low expectations and general unhappiness and so forth. Right here it says that one the contributing factors to Robin Williams deciding to kill himself was "survivor's guilt." It's in the headline.

I read that and I thought, "Survivor's guilt? What? What survivor's guilt? What?" So I read it, and it turns out that three of his closest friends, the story says -- Christopher Reeve, John Belushi, and Andy Kaufman... The source, unnamed in the story, said that Robin Williams felt guilty that he was still alive while his three friends had died young and much earlier than he had.

He could never get over the guilt that they died and he didn't.

It's at this point, as he's detailing the reporting in a Fox News story and in the blabbering he does afterward, that he gets around to actually summing up his point, the gist of which is something along these lines:

Robin Williams killed himself because his typical leftist obsession with fairness was making him miserable. It's a mentality that leftist media pushes and that Robin Williams, victim of this liberal mentality, is being made a martyr of such glorious proportions that Rush fears (sure you do you disgusting, disingenuous windbag) that there will be copycats among the fragile members of public similarly affected with this leftist programming.

I didn't think it was all that subtly delivered, despite employing straw men. Then again, I'm not looking to spin every asinine thing he says to make it seem like genius. He's good at spewing the crap that his listeners want to hear, that doesn't make his opinions relevant or reasoned, it just means hes got a knack for pandering for profit.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Some of us do, but sometimes, I wish you would understand that some of your sources are extremely biased and calculated to flip all your emotional switches. Emotion is not thought.

Unlike the decidedly conservative news sources which don't make appeal after appeal to emotion over reason?

You're familiar with these quotes from Frank Luntz, one of the chief architects behind the conservative echo chamber — the infamous focus group running spin doctor who invents the buzzwords everyone on the right repeats over and over to unify right-wing brainwashing?

80 percent of our life is emotion, and only 20 percent is intellect. I am much more interested in how you feel than how you think.

It's all emotion. But there's nothing wrong with emotion. When we are in love, we are not rational; we are emotional. When we are on vacation, we are not rational; we are emotional. When we are happy, we are not [rational]. In fact, in more cases than not, when we are rational, we're actually unhappy. Emotion is good; passion is good. Being into what we're into, provided that it's a healthy pursuit, it's a good thing.

My job as a pollster is to understand what really matters. Those levers of importance -- sometimes they're called levers; sometimes they're called triggers. What causes people to buy a product? What causes someone to pull a lever and get them to vote? I need to know the specifics of that. And in politics, more often than not, it's about the personality and the character of the individual rather than where they stand, and that's exactly the opposite of what your viewers will think.

source

Luntz has been critical of loose canons like Rush Limbaugh in the past because he deviates too far from the game plan and puts his foot in his mouth.
edit on 2014-8-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Robin Williams died from lack of hope,meds,Parkinsons,divorces,crappy parts to pay the bills... it can be too much for ANYONE. Politics? I'm sure he would make statements and send money,just keep up appearances but I doubt it killed him.
His mind raced ALOT, MINE DOES too.It might be a creative thing,but he died from lack of hope,I lost a few that way over the years.
He wanted us to laugh with him and the world got too dark.
POLITICS are the bane of America,false reasoning,manipulation,all of it to get you emotionally in line with agendas.
SCREW looking at ANY of this with ANY FEELINGS. FEELINGS ARE LIFE? Bulls##t, intellect IS REQUIRED above those FEELINGS or YOU TOO can commit SUICIDE because YOU cannot cope.
Don't look for fair,you won't get it it will piss you off and depress you to try
Don't live for fun,work and doing the things that are BORING OR HARD are how the system RUNS.
DON'Y BUY ANY MEDIA INFO without cross confirmation from opposing sources,deciding the "RIGHT VS LEFT" shows lack of perception and usually is what I would say 80% of the people believe. We conspiracy theorists DON'T know all of it,but we sure know more than those who only depend on the TV,school or the computer to learn.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I just read what you linked - and the links in your link

"He had everything, everything that you would think would make you happy. But it didn't." Now, what is the left's worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it's one of pessimism and darkness, sadness. They're never happy, are they? They're always angry about something. No matter what they get, they're always angry.

They are animated in large part by the false promises of America, because the promises of America are not for everyone, as we see each and every day. I mean, right here there's a story on the Fox News website. Do you know, it says right here, that the real reasons that Robin Williams killed himself are he was embarrassed at having to take television roles after a sterling movie career.

He had to take movie roles that were beneath him, sequels and so forth, and he finally had to do television just to get a paycheck because he was in so much financial distress. He'd had some divorces that ripped up his net worth, and he had a big ranch in Napa that he couldn't afford any longer and had to put up for sale, and a house in Tiburon that he couldn't afford anymore. This is all what's in the Fox News story.

He had it all, but he had nothing. He made everybody else laugh but was miserable inside. I mean, it fits a certain picture, or a certain image that the left has. Talk about low expectations and general unhappiness and so forth. Right here it says that one the contributing factors to Robin Williams deciding to kill himself was "survivor's guilt." It's in the headline.

All of it is conjecture - Rush's opinion - the FOX article is not fact (citing unnamed sources that somehow have the bead on why a person might commit suicide - as if...)

The person who wrote this article may have missed the mark - but only by a hair. Which is the worse offense really?

Rush is a pig. I'd think it would be beneath anyone to try and make political hay from someone's suicide

But, all is fair in love and war I guess

:-)

Sounds from your posts like you kinda admire Rush

edit on 8/17/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

And, to the person who is no longer responding to me,

I know!

The nerve - right?

:-)

If you want civil discourse ... fine, but don't demand one side shut up and while ignoring the wolves at your own back.

She didn't. (I went back and checked)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm curious what Rush would think of this particular study:

Published in the February issue of Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology, the study found that states with high levels of firearm availability and a proclivity toward political conservatism tended toward higher rates of suicide.

This study isn't the first to posit a link between conservative politics and a heightened suicide rate. A pair of studies, released a little over a decade ago, found that suicides in Australia and Britain tended to increase when conservative governments were in power and shrink under liberal regimes.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I'm curious what Rush would think of this particular study:

He would tell you it was a progressive sponsored study being reported by the liberal media

But I'm sure at some point he'd also be able to imply that somebody involved was a slut or a terrorist - or make fun of people with debilitating health problems

What a thought provoking card

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me that ANYONE listens to any of these asshats anymore. It also amazes me that so very many people can spin just about anything into a right wing/left wing fight. On just about every level, the parties are both the same faction. That is why hardly anything ever changes for the better no matter who takes office. The game is rigged...the elections are rigged and us peons are all the pawns.

These broadcasters and inadequate so called news reporters mostly always have an agenda. They serve what ever master that serves them to their best advantage as well. No matter what political party these broadcasters push, the only real party that matters is the one they have after they laugh their way all the way to the bank. The pill popping ones especially. The major news stations and their presstitutes are worthless too...they sit there in their designer clothes and fancy makeup/hairdos/ manicures and read their scripts like the good lil drones that they are and we, the people are supposed to believe their verbal sewage/spewage. They tell us how to think, what to think, how to react...then they go on to report on the Kardashians or the latest monkey nurturing a dog or something...all fluff that no one should give a flying ef about while the world goes to hell in a hand basket.

Mr. Williams is dead and I just wish folks would let him rest in peace already. Having Parkinsons is no picnic....addiction problems are not easy to deal with...and as someone stated here, trying to get help for mental issues can be a slippery slope...rights are lost for the patient, pills are shoved down ones throat with often little regard to proper dosages or side effects. RIP Mr. Williams. For a man that tried to bring joy and humor into this world, if he could see what all is being said relevant to his life now, he wouldn't be laughing. That Limbaugh creature is no one to talk considering his past record. No one should be spewing so much for so long about Mr. Williams already...it really is no ones business anymore.

I understand what the OP was saying and this above rant isn't to you. You meant no harm. Thanx for posting. Blessings to you.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
And when Limbaugh dies, will anyone really care? Will Westboro Baptists protest his funeral? Will people from all walks of life come together for just a moment? No, it will be just one less blathering asshole.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

rights are lost for the patient, pills are shoved down ones throat with often little regard to proper dosages or side effects.

Sorry, shrevegal, but that is a malicious, slanderous thing to say, and not at all productive.

The only time a patient loses "rights" is if they are a danger to themselves or others...and that's for EVERY PERSON in the USA. A professional in education, law enforcement, medicine, or mental health is REQUIRED to report it If someone is suicidal - displaying suicidal gestures - they can be detained against their will for brief periods of observation/protective custody, yes.

But despite seeker's outburst (and he is entitled to his perspective, of course - I regret that he felt mistreated), Depression IS a disease - and medications are not routinely "shoved down one's throat" - that is what happens in veterinary care, true - ! Have I forcibly put a pill down my dog's or cat's throat, yes, I have. Then gently stroke their trachea so they swallow it. Do people with psychosis sometimes receive injections? I'm sure they do. But "depression" is a nasty, nasty monster. It is not something one can simply "will away" - though it DOES take effort on the part of the client to TRY - and to TALK to the practitioners so that the results of their treatment can be evaluated.

EVERY PATIENT in a quality mental health facility is considered on a case by case basis. Are there some prescribers who are less than scrupulous? I have never met one, and I was in the field of mental health. But I'm sure there are a few rogues out there - as with ANY profession.

Please do not demonize the Mental Health system. The VAST majority of practitioners are caring, sensitive individuals who know how, and WANT, to help.

edit on 8/18/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I'm considering just checking out of news reading and any paying of attention altogether.

LOL...you referred to that link as "news reading." It's a partisan hit piece and nothing more. That's not news, that's garbage.
edit on 18-8-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That source is generally the LAST ONE I look at - to see what slant they have taken.

I check the "regular" MSM news (covering all the bases) first, then I go to the alternative sites to cross-reference how things are being approached.

Now Limbaugh and his ilk? YES - those are partisan hit pieces, ALL OF THE TIME.
I know the difference. Do you? Do you think Limbaugh and Shep Smith (both of whom tried to back-pedal the next day) should be called out for such things or not? They DID say those things.

edit on 8/18/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join