It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors near Toronto say patient has Ebola-like symptoms

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I can only find this on one Canadian news site so far but I find that is par for the course of the Canadian mainstream media.

This is the source but hopefully people from Central Canada will have access to better sources with more clear information.

A hospital in a Toronto suburb says a patient its dealing with has come down with a fever and other Ebola-like symptoms after travelling to Canada from Nigeria. Brampton Civic Hospital says it’s taking precautionary measures. Our Toronto station, 680 News, is told because of the Ebola outbreak in west Africa, the hospital has “put in heightened infection control protocols as a precautionary measure.”

I'm not too scared about this. We already have a doctor on the West Coast who was exposed to Ebola because he was treating patients in Africa and was quarantined as soon as he got back into the country. However, I think we may see more cases of this whether it be humanitarian aid or tourism.

Any other fellow Canadians concerned about an outbreak here?

Another source courtesy of masqua here. They make it a little more clear that this is precautionary.
edit on 8/8/2014 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Added a link

Another source courtesy of minettejo at the CBC
e dit on 8/8/2014 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Another source

News 1130 has another link and story with official statements.
edit on 8/8/2014 by MonkeyFishFrog because: More links!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Time to put a ban on all air flights coming out of that area and its people. Just too dangerous too mess with.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I'm hoping they are just being overly cautious with the patient in Toronto. Our Airlines should start taking the precautions that some of the American ones have already done. I'd like to see our people get home safely without putting the rest of the population at risk.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

This is weird. City TV (the main Toronto news station)had it up and now it says 404 error when you try to access it.

edit on 8-8-2014 by minettejo because: link wouldnt work - removed

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog
That sure doesn't sound like a something a reasonable Drt would say. The symptoms are just like flu so would they not test before saying anything?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

I'm hoping they are just being overly cautious with the patient in Toronto. Our Airlines should start taking the precautions that some of the American ones have already done. I'd like to see our people get home safely without putting the rest of the population at risk.

Sad thing is, it may not be possible in the near future. Was just watching the Japanese news a few minutes ago and it was showing that many of the hospitals have shut down throughout the area. What we see is make-shift tent hospitals springing up by foreign assistance. Sad thing is, now many foreign medical staff are starting to get infected, just two, yesterday. When there are dead bodies in the streets and peoples homes, tells you one thing, things have gone from bad to worse. More stories are coming out from foreign outlets than the mainstream news, so it is hard to believe what is really happening without local pictures, not the few that are released worldwide.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: minettejo

CP24 is carrying the story.

Not a confirmed case as yet.
edit on 8/8/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: minettejo

Yeah, I thought it was odd too that News1130 was the only place with the story right now. I don't even really like using it as a new source but every once in awhile (like now) they will break a story before anywhere else.

a reply to: Char-Lee

They might be doing it purely as a precaution. Even though it very well could be a regular flu, you have to take into account that they were traveling in a country while a disease is spreading.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

CBC has the story CBC News

Also, I have a friend who used to work as a Nurse at the Brampton hospital. Just messaged her to see if she has any inside info

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

True, the cases that seem to be rising outside of Africa are apparently aid workers and doctors trying to help with the state of emergency. I could definitely see countries putting in a temporary travel ban but would they be jumping to the worse case scenario? Wouldn't it be more pertinent to send people in to contain the disease?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
He was traveling from Nigeria, has Ebola like symptoms, since quarantined.

Now the 21 day clock is ticking in Canada, too.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: minettejo

Also, I have a friend who used to work as a Nurse at the Brampton hospital. Just messaged her to see if she has any inside info

Bonus...

It's possible she may not be able to say anything, even if the tests prove positive for Ebola.

Don't want to panic the peeps, you know?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Would be nice to get inside info but I agree, we don't want to start a panic here. This is mostly for us to keep an eye on what is going on in our backyards and hopefully stay alert.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Gulp.

I hope it's a false alarm.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

True, the cases that seem to be rising outside of Africa are apparently aid workers and doctors trying to help with the state of emergency. I could definitely see countries putting in a temporary travel ban but would they be jumping to the worse case scenario? Wouldn't it be more pertinent to send people in to contain the disease?

Yes, it would, but they have to have all this expensive equipment, not just painters dust masks and glasses. The whole body has to be covered, you see, in the final stages the mind goes delirious, violence can happen, which it has.
I'm going to be checking with Doctors Without Borders.

www.doctorswithoutborders.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Humanity4Ever

We hope so too. So far all sources are saying this is a precautionary measure which makes total sense. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the patient just has the basic flu, for their sake and ours.

I didn't even think about the delirium. I was only thinking about how hard the transmission can be because it is through bodily fluids but in the throes of sickness anything can happen I guess.
edit on 8/8/2014 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Atrocious grammar

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
We have another link, this one has a little more information

Concern over Ontario patient from Nigeria with flu symptoms

So it sounds like the patient is visiting from Nigeria which may elevate the chance of this being a legit case of Ebola in Canada. They are trying to rush a confirmed diagnosis... is that possible if it takes 21 days to incubate? Is it testable once a person begins to exhibit symptoms?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

You keep forgetting that the full quarantine gear is extremely hot and airtight and they are working in a climate where the ambient air temps can get up to 110F. Wearing that suit full-time is just not possible without collapsing to heat stroke. They do what they can, but like it or not, they are going to inevitably be exposed to some degree or other. Now add all that to having to work in a tent more often than not and work 12 to 20 hour days.

Safety gear will only carry you so far.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have been following the other threads on this, I just saw this thread now when I got home, I live in Mississauga Ontario, about a twenty minute drive from Brampton, and I work about 5 minutes from there, 3 people I work with live in Brampton, it is its own city outside of Toronto, hoping its just the flu, no new links to post as all the reports say the same thing, but I will definitely be following this story.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I don't know about it all, but I know thinking about it gives me chivers. .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join