It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors near Toronto say patient has Ebola-like symptoms

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: alphacenturi

If you come across any articles or news reports from your area please feel free to post here.

Reaching here with a major assumption or guess, but hopefully because the patient is someone visiting from Nigeria, the contact level has been minimum to the family/friends they are visiting versus a citizen going to work and creating a larger potential for transmission.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The latest

A patient at a hospital near Toronto has been placed in isolation as a precautionary measure after he came down with a fever and other flu-like symptoms following a recent trip to a country dealing with the Ebola outbreak.
Dr. Eileen de Villa, an associate medical officer of health with the Region of Peel, said the patient has a history of travelling to Nigeria. He is being kept in isolation at the Brampton Civic Hospital.
She stressed that there has been no diagnosis at this time and health officials are taking precautionary measures, given that the WHO declared Ebola an international health emergency.

Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: minettejo

I wish we could get confirmation on the patient themselves. Seems some reports say that the patient was visiting Nigeria while other reports make it seem as though they are from Nigeria visiting here. Could make a difference.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Where in Nigeria? From what we know it isn't rampant like in the other 3 countries, the odds of him bringing it back from there alone are insanely low. If it turns out to be ebola I will be utterly shocked.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: minettejo
The latest

A patient at a hospital near Toronto has been placed in isolation as a precautionary measure after he came down with a fever and other flu-like symptoms following a recent trip to a country dealing with the Ebola outbreak.
Dr. Eileen de Villa, an associate medical officer of health with the Region of Peel, said the patient has a history of travelling to Nigeria. He is being kept in isolation at the Brampton Civic Hospital.
She stressed that there has been no diagnosis at this time and health officials are taking precautionary measures, given that the WHO declared Ebola an international health emergency.

Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

The test for Ebola is pretty quick from what I have read. It takes 6 to 10 hours to go through all the protocols because of the type of contagion that may be present. Haven't we gone past the 10 hour window?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
B-Town is up the road from me... Either way, it's only a matter of time before the GTA gets hit with some cases. We have such a huge diversity of people from all over the world here. It's a very jet-set based community.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

So we could have a confirmed diagnosis by tomorrow? Would help ease some fears/anxiety for sure.

a reply to: justnotnormal

My guess would have been either GTA or GVRD for getting a case only because those two regions seem to be the most diverse in the country in a relatively small geographic area.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So we have another case of stomach bug that people are overreacting about. Last I saw there were a total of seven cases of Ebola in Nigeria. Of them most were medical workers. So what was this anonymous patient doing that had him hanging out with the .000004% of Nigeria's population that are symptomatic?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

will do, like I said most reports have been linked, and don't seem to offer much info that's different, and yeah I'm not sure if he was coming back or visiting either, Pearson Airport is pretty much in Brampton/GTA and Brampton Civic Hospital seems quite extensive, we dealt with SARS a few years backs and they stepped up a lot of procedures in hospitals across Ontario, so,,,

who knows.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I wouldn't call it an overreaction, per se, because even if it is unlikely there is still a chance of it turning out to be a real case of Ebola. Pretty much every source has so far said that this is all being done as a precaution which I am happy for. Even if it turns out to be a confirmed case, it is a difficult disease to transmit and Canada is so large geographically that the chances of it spreading beyond a province and its neighbour very slim.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

So we could have a confirmed diagnosis by tomorrow? Would help ease some fears/anxiety for sure.

a reply to: justnotnormal

The sample has to be flown to Winnipeg for testing and it IS the weekend so who knows??

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: minettejo

*facepalm* I keep forgetting that it is the weekend.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I'll agree that it's not an overreaction on the doctors' part. By overreacting I was referring more to ATS. Over the past few days we have had a number of threads about possible Ebola cases and every time the membership takes that to mean confirmed or at least probable. They start talking about how it's only going to be a matter of weeks if not days before this sweeps the country and then the world. Currently there is less than a tenth of a percent infected in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone. The odds are greatly against this spreading to Europe or North America. Yet the members on here act like there are already thousands of cases here and stories like this just reinforce those beliefs.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If there is no rotation for this kind of thing on weekends then people have to seriously start to question their priorities.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Ebola just showed up in Nigeria about a week ago, and the guy responsible for spreading it there was in the airport. It's possible this person traveled trough that same international airport.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Some people can fear-monger, but I don't see that happening in this thread, people like to be cautious, that's all, then there are those people that always wait till it's too late, all depends on your category I guess.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

They are trying to rush a confirmed diagnosis... is that possible if it takes 21 days to incubate? Is it testable once a person begins to exhibit symptoms?

Some info about that…

Diagnosis and testing, CDC

From memory, Ebola testing is a lab procedure involving culturing of swabs taken from suspected hosts or infected tissue, blood, etc.

Grown in Petri dishes, Ebola is identified with direct observation under Electron Microscope or with dies under ultraviolet light(?). This takes a couple of days to be sure if Ebola is present. The faster they rush the culture the less likely Ebola will have multiplied enough to be visible in the Petri dish.

Welcoming any correction if I'm mistaken about this…

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
So what does that mean for us south of the border?

Toronto's pretty close to Detroit, imagine the damage there

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I saw the one thread where they were discussing the possibility of shooting down planes carrying infected passengers... definitely on the extreme side. There is a case on the West Coast of a doctor who was working in one of the outbreak zones and even though he wasn't exhibiting any symptoms he suggested he be quarantined upon arrival just in case. People are being smart about this and just taking necessary precautions... I'm not going to the store to by gloves and masks yet.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: alphacenturi

You don't see fear mongering? We have people expressing fear that it's going to spread to them from an hour away to a country away. The cases in Nigeria pretty much haven't spread beyond a single hospital in a single city and yet people on here feel like a possible (very unlikely) case is going to devou a continent in a month. That's overreacting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join