It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Announces Air Strikes On ISIS In Iraq To Prevent Genocide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Obama just announced that the US military will perform "targeted" air strikes against ISIS in Iraq to prevent genocide. This will be alongside humanitarian air drops to the victims of ISIS there.

Sorry I have no link for this as it was just announced via a live presidential address.

UPDATE: Found a link released after I posted this thread:

Breaking News: President Obama Authorizes Air Strikes in Iraq
edit on 7-8-2014 by LrdRedhawk because: Added link

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
HOORAY!
.....better late to the party than not show up at all.....
Ironic the president signing the death warrant for those the government was supporting wwith arms and logistics months ago.....But that was then and .......................well....hhmmmmmmmmm.
edit on 7-8-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

"to prevent genocide"

I read it was to protect US personnel, lol.

In all seriousnes though, this is excellent news. Especially considering ISIS is marching towards the Kurdish capital of Erbil.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So hes basically going to airdrop supplies in, that survivors who took cover during the air strikes will kill more Iraqis to get ahold of.........

Then they will be well fed and watered in order to continue on with their plans.......

Jesus this guy is an idiot.......

edit on 8/7/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

"to prevent genocide"

In all seriousnes though, this is excellent news. Especially considering ISIS is marching towards the Kurdish capital of Erbil.

I starred your post because I understand your thought process behind this.........

But this is not whats going to happen, whats going to happen is that ISIS is going to be vigilant about the aid drops and TAKE them.........

Anyone remember Mogadishu? anyone remember how the militants there killed everyone to get the foreign aid coming in?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This will make it much harder for ISIS to move troops south when Iraq begins its offensive. ISIS may have just got caught with its pants down. Control of interior lines (ISIS big advantage) are not much good if you can not move heavy weapons.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Found this link, just popped up a minute ago. I only caught the last bits of his speech. He did say the strikes are also to protect our personnel.

Obama says 'authorized' targeted US strikes on Iraq

Washington (AFP) - President Barack Obama said he had authorized US forces to conduct air strikes against Sunni extremist militants in Iraq if they are needed to prevent a massacre of civilians.

ETA - I believe thousands of civilians are trapped on a mountain near Erbil (many Yazidi there), and ISIS called for the genocide of all of them.
edit on 7-8-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

"to prevent genocide"

I starred your post because I understand your thought process behind this.........

But this is not whats going to happen, whats going to happen is that ISIS is going to be vigilant about the aid drops and TAKE them.........

Anyone remember Mogadishu? anyone remember how the militants there killed everyone to get the foreign aid coming in?

Yeah uh they can be vigilant all they want the aid arrived for the refugees earlier today. So ISIS missed its chance.
edit on 7-8-2014 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I find it interesting that in the last few hours all these articles were saying that the US Pentagon was denying reports of attacks against the militants, and now it's updated that it's been authorized. Why even deny it in the first place? I don't feel like that makes any sense.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

"to prevent genocide"

I agree.

I feel sorry for the Yazidi people stranded on Sinjar mountain. They're stuck up there, and with the air drops, all ISIS has to do is watch where they fall and go grab them...and the people.

The airstrikes are a good idea though, because the Kurds need all the support they can get. ISIS militants are fighting their way towards Erbil, and are only 50 kilometres out. I believe the Peshmerga will be able to hold off ISIS, but airstrikes always help.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

"to prevent genocide"

Yeah uh they can be vigilant all they want the aid arrived for the refugees earlier today. So ISIS missed its chance.

Yeah uhh, well if you think for one second its over then youre wrong......

This isnt the only aid drop to happen from my understanding........

2. Once ISIS finds out where this aid went to , if you think they wont bolster an attack to get it then you arent thinking like a fighter on the ground......

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: buni11687

ETA - I believe thousands of civilians are trapped on a mountain near Erbil (many Yazidi there), and ISIS called for the genocide of all of them.

I think that's Sinjar mountain, near the Yazidi town of Sinjar.

Last i heard, The Kurds were fighting to retake the city. Some of their forces also reached the Yazidi people on the mountain. That information came 24 hours ago...so anything could have happened since...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Here's another link I just found. The way it sounds, we already have US personnel in Northern Iraq.

www.myfoxdfw.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama says he has authorized the U.S. military to launch targeted airstrikes if Islamic militants advance toward American personnel in northern Iraq. He also has announced that the military carried out airdrops of humanitarian aid Thursday to Iraqi religious minorities threatened by the extremists.

"Today America is coming to help," he said in a late night statement from the White House.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I do agree the airstrikes do help, I just fear that this is going to turn out like it has so many times before in situations like this.......

it nearly always turns out the same.....

Ill state here that I dont know what the solution is.......but BAITING these guys in to me just doesnt seem like a good play TBH

This seems to me more of a political grand standing move by the president then anything.......

Hes ignoring so much other stuff going on not onlly in the US but elsewhere this doesnt add up........

This just seems to me like he said "Whats something I can do to bolster some favor with minimal effort"

link   
It's a start.

ISIS has to be stopped, and U.S. Air Strikes will be able to inflict more damage than the Iraqi Air Force is capable of, without putting American soldiers at risk.

This is just the beginning. The rise of the barbaric radical Islamic doctrine is happening before our very eyes all over the middle east and in Africa, and spreading like a cancer. I hope the rest of the civilized world rises to the challenge before it's too late.

link   

GOOD!

I don't care for Obama....
...I don't care who does it.
....I just want to see the SCUM that make up "ISIS" exterminated from the planet.

........that is all.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
That's...a lot of targets.

No, really. Just how many targets can drones take out, particularly without civilian and innocent casualties?

Haven't we learned that this is a hydra?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

"to prevent genocide"

2. Once ISIS finds out where this aid went to , if you think they wont bolster an attack to get it then you arent thinking like a fighter on the ground......

If you bolster your forces against an enemy that is going to hit you with airstrikes you are playing right into its hands. ISIS will have to disperse its forces. However you can bet the Kurds will be rolling out to take advantage of a foe who if it concentrates its forces they go boom.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

True.

I hate to say it, but i think the West has left it too late. I think it is near impossible to successfully take back ISIS controlled towns now, at least, without any internal resistance afterwards. Shariah law has already been implemented, and ISIS has a pretty tight grip of things in main cities.

We'll see what happens, but i don't have high hopes for a stable and long-lasting Iraq.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

"to prevent genocide"

If you bolster your forces against an enemy that is going to hit you with airstrikes you are playing right into its hands. ISIS will have to disperse its forces. However you can bet the Kurds will be rolling out to take advantage of a foe who if it concentrates its forces they go boom.

Thats a possibility but thats not how I see this playing out........

ISIS is well funded and much better armed now having acquired armaments from the areas they have taken over.....

They have a legion of people on the ground, its not wise to underestimate them coming in and taking these areas where the drops are........and they dont care about playing by the rules.......

I hope youre right, and that this HELPS and its enough to start pushing back the ISIS tide.....

But i see this going the wrong way, and many more people being killed for these supplies......and in the end supplying the enemy......

But hey, were the US , we should be use to doing that by now

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join