It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Announces Air Strikes On ISIS In Iraq To Prevent Genocide

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
OP,

You need to randomly insert the word "Israel" into your topic post to get a good number of replies...just advice from a pro...A person got 100s of replies on 17 deaths...just think of how many replies you will get on 40,000...

*sarcasm off*

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

True.

I hate to say it, but i think the West has left it too late. I think it is near impossible to successfully take back ISIS controlled towns now, at least, without any internal resistance afterwards. Shariah law has already been implemented, and ISIS has a pretty tight grip of things in main cities.

We'll see what happens, but i don't have high hopes for a stable and long-lasting Iraq.

Well I hope your wrong, I hope we both are........but like youve stated without a joint effort by their own people and others im not sure how they are going to root this problem out.......

IF anything the war with Russia and our 13years battle in the ME should have taught military strategist, is you cannot bomb these guys into submission........you can kill a crap ton of fighters, but you cant kill a constant stream of militant minded religious psychopaths hell bent on killing anyone who doesnt subscribe to their brand of extremism.....

The only thin you can do is establish enough of a presence (not of our own anymore we need to get out) that it cant run amok..........

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The Kurds are the good guys in this, I guess.

Ironically the greatest Muslim Warrior in History was a Kurd, Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn or Saladin

Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb (Arabic: صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎; Kurdish: سه‌لاحه‌دین ئه‌یوبی , Selahedînê Eyûbî) (1137/1138 – March 4, 1193), better known in the Western world as Saladin, was the first Sultan of Egypt and Syria and the founder of the Ayyubid dynasty. A Muslim of Kurdish[1][2][3] origin, Saladin led the Muslim opposition to the European Crusaders in the Levant. At the height of his power, his sultanate included Egypt, Syria, Mesopotamia, Hejaz, Yemen, and other parts of North Africa.

May his spirit be with the Kurds
edit on 7-8-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
hmm.

Pondering.

Limited airstrike won't do much. A successful intervention requires some pretty comprehensive measures, and in the absence of these, it will likely cause more damage than assistance.

United States initially lacked the intelligence on ISIS and one must assume or hope they have successfully gathered enough to get a a comprehensive picture of this very irregular army.
What kind of airstrikes could be decisive enough?

Gosh the world is a mess at the moment.

edit on 7-8-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

"to prevent genocide"

I read it was to protect US personnel, lol.

In all seriousnes though, this is excellent news. Especially considering ISIS is marching towards the Kurdish capital of Erbil.

He said "to prevent genocide" more than once in his live address.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning
I find it interesting that in the last few hours all these articles were saying that the US Pentagon was denying reports of attacks against the militants, and now it's updated that it's been authorized. Why even deny it in the first place? I don't feel like that makes any sense.

That is probably because the Pentagon lied (that's nothing new) and the air strikes had indeed already began when the Kurds announced they did earlier today. You know they tell us Americans about things only after they've already done it, right?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
First step in the right direction I've seen this President take since he took office. He's got a lot of ground to make up for though, so this step is far from enough to get him on the right path. But, at least its a step. Took him long enough.
edit on 7-8-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
First step in the right direction I've seen this President take since he took office.

amen and god bless those Kurds, they have been real heroes in this mess.
edit on 093131p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Further proof that we pick and choose which genocide we care about. Acceptable genocide is like ice cream flavors. Today I like chocolate so it's OK to get rid of these people. Tomorrow I like strawberry so I support the indirect bombing of another people. And two days from now I choose to be vanilla. Nice manners we have.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Damnit, you make a good point. Militants all over the ME have been known to take aid any chance they can. What's to stop them from taking it? Airstrikes? Maybe, but apparently those strikes are very limited.

I find it funny we attack with drones constantly in other parts of the ME but so far I don't think we've attacked ISIS. I mean, how easy would it be with little to no civilian loss? They parade themselves in large convoys all the time.

edit on 7-8-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: otherpotato

this

Chaldean Christian leader: ISIS 'Systematically Beheading' Children In Iraq - See more at: www.gospelherald.com...< br />

ISIS Beheading Children A prominent Christian leader of the Chaldean community unveiled the "systematic beheading of children" and other horrendous crimes committed by ISIS. He said that the Sunni extremists are committing genocide against Christians in Iraq and with the aim to instill the Sharia Law as the law of the land. In the interview with CNN's Jonathan Mann, Chaldean-American businessman Mark Arabo said that the "world hasn't seen an evil like this for generations." "There is a park in Mosul, where [ISIS] they actually beheaded children and put their heads on a stick and have them in the park," he explained. "More children are getting beheaded, mothers are getting raped and killed, and fathers are being hung."

news.msn.com...
edit on 103131p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Damnit, you make a good point. Militants all over the ME have been known to take aid any chance they can. What's to stop them from taking it? Airstrikes? Maybe, but apparently those strikes are very limited.

I find it funny we attack with drones constantly in other parts of the ME but so far I don't think we've attacked ISIS. I mean, how easy would it be with little to no civilian loss? They parade themselves in large convoys all the time.

Absolutely bud , Unfortunately i really dont know the answer to that.....

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
What people have to accept is that the negative ramifications of the stupid Iraq war are not over.

Only wishful thinking allows for us to say: “okay were leaving Iraq and everything is okay now”

BS. Obama and people who hate war (me included) have to accept that THIS WAR AINT OVER.

The Iraq war was not only immoral, but stupid in the extreme.

It was a Pandora’s Box of problems that are still wide open.

And one of those things was ISIS.

Of course the Syrian and Libyan adventure is part of it also. If the US didn’t meddle in Syria and Libya ISIS may not have developed.

But they did and now we are paying for it.

If the US would just abandon the neocon dream, along with placating Israel by destroying all their enemies at our expense, then we may be able to stop what Bush did in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
hmm.

Pondering.

Limited airstrike won't do much. A successful intervention requires some pretty comprehensive measures, and in the absence of these, it will likely cause more damage than assistance.

United States initially lacked the intelligence on ISIS and one must assume or hope they have successfully gathered enough to get a a comprehensive picture of this very irregular army.
What kind of airstrikes could be decisive enough?

Gosh the world is a mess at the moment.

The goal is to aid those on the mountain about to be exterminated, when they are fed, watered, and led off the mountain....mission accomplished.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

I hope you are right.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
i hope they bomb that fat white american kid who went jihad and decided sand in your ass is better than getting picked on in highschool.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
without boots on the ground they will not drive out isis. the Iraqis and kruds are not strong enough to do this by themselves. even if The U.S. provided direct close air, they can't beat them.

it is also believed that isis has stingers and sams. U.S.Special Forces are said to be in country checking this out.

It is believed that the ISIS militants, who have declared an independent caliphate in Syria and Iraq, may now possess the technology which has the capability to bring down a commercial airline flying at an altitude of over 30,000 ft.

The US Special Forces in Iraq have reportedly been assigned the task to investigate the claims, amidst increasing fear.
ISIS Holds Surface-to-Air Missiles? Commercial Jets Flying over Iraq at Risk?

U.S. officials with access to the latest U.S. intelligence on Iraq told Fox News it "appears likely/probable" that U.S.-made Stinger missiles have fallen into the hands of Sunni insurgents. It is possible that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) fighters acquired them from army bases they have taken over in recent days, the sources said.
US-made Stinger missiles have likely fallen into ISIS hands, officials say

might not be as easy as thought to be.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I dont believe for as second that the Prez has any intentions on stopping or slowing ISIS down. ISIS needs to grow for the NWO's plans for WWIII. The bombing is for show. If bombs will be dropped, they will be on the wrong people. This President has made too many calculated moves to destroy America, he wont screw it up know by making the right decisions for once.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

just needs to get his mercenaries turned around and headed back to syria.
that's all.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Just what the middle east needs more air strikes from the US and allies. I bet these new "humanitarian airstrikes" are sure to bring peace and not have any unexpected consequences. America and allies bringing peace to the mid east since... well I guess since the last time they actually had peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join