It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola: Facts, Opinions, and Speculations.

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't need anything else since your very link says he probably contracted it in the OB ward along with this gem:

There's a strong possibility Ebola symptoms were masked

a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Stop hoping it's airborne.

edit on 13-9-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I really hope nobody wants this airborne. I some are just concerned it could become airborne and feel that we aren't being given the whole truth.

I read this:

"There is strong epidemiological evidence that once an individual has resolved an Ebola virus infection, they are immune to that strain,"

Which made me feel that we aren't immune to this because it keeps mutating and nobody seems to have a firm grasp on what we're dealing with. I guess if it were me, I wouldn't push the envelope twice in a row. I also don't trust what info we are being fed by the media, CDC and WHO.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 08/11/2014 by quirkygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If it was airborne it would be IMPODSIBLE to hide it. Everyone on the plane with Sawyer would have contracted it.

a reply to: quirkygirl

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Not hoping, but I do have a concern that that capability will be acquired; though that had been somewhat lessened due the MSF AMA on reddit.

[–]ELasry[S] 111 points 2 days ago 

To woody121: Thank you! No reason why Ebola should mutate to an airborne virus. It survives in body fluids, but not on dry surfaces due to it's lipid membrane.

I do agree with you that at this point it is most likely not airborne as it really would have spread much much further and faster than it has.

But you can never say never with a virus and its potential to adapt, and one of those adaptations could conceivably include increased transmission through indirect contact and I believe there is sufficient evidence of that.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Has anyone ever considered what would happen to people worldwide infected with HIV if they were to contract Ebola? I would think that a virus combination like that would be 100% fatal.

Not to diminish the lethality of Ebola working on its own, but I am guessing that a lot of people in Africa will surely die from this pandemic because there are millions of people in Africa who are HIV positive. A compromised immune system wouldn't stand a chance against a pathogen like Ebola. Am I wrong?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: windwaker

You are correct. However it would need to be full blown AIDS, not just HIV.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I think everyone should get their flu shots now. I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago so that I can get the possibility of contracting the latest strains of Influenza in the coming months out of the way, just in case Ebola ends up coming stateside. Sadly I think may be inevitable with the current pace Ebola is spreading at now.

At least if I have my flu shot I know that if I start getting flu like symptoms in the winter there is a good chance its not the flu, but something worse. Every minute and hour counts with this monster. The faster you can take flu like symptoms seriously as something that could eventually kill you, the better chance you have of not spreading it to others and also surviving it yourself.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Studies have shown a flu vaccine does not reduce your chance of contracting the flu...even the CDC admits it varies wildly in effectiveness.

It does however make the flu more mild and reduces hospitalization. And Ebola making it to the USA is not inevitable. It made it to Nigeria and is already contained...

edit on 14-9-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
Studies have shown a flu vaccine does not reduce your chance of contracting the flu...even the CDC admits it varies wildly in effectiveness.

It does however make the flu more mild and reduces hospitalization. And Ebola making it to the USA is not inevitable. It made it to Nigeria and is already contained...

Contained in Nigeria you say........I bet this turns out not to be accurate. TPTB in Nigeria are lairs and only care about keeping power.

I have a feeling this Ebola scare is going to turn epic. I think we are going to see this go crazy.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

If it was airborne it would be IMPODSIBLE to hide it. Everyone on the plane with Sawyer would have contracted it.

I didn't say it was airborne only that it could become airborne and that I don't feel we are being told the truth of what the ebola situation is.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
CDC Issues Checklist to USA Hospitals

This is simply a formality and what NEEDS to happen in case someone who is infected DOES make it to the USA. As has been proven, a fast reaction is the best way to contain. By being prepared, treatment facilities can stop any spread in the USA before it becomes a problem.

I go back and forth between SoCal and ATL. If either one of those ended up having an infected person I would just leave and head to my farm in South GA and wait it out.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yes I already seen that and I have to be one to call foul on how this thing is just suddenly spreading to be such a pandemic. I had seen on a program years back that the CDC claimed that Ebola would not ever be a Pandemic virus like Small Pox because Ebola hit to fast and hard not staying in the host dormant long enough to spread far. Look at what we see today! Oh but now they claim it has mutated.

Every so many years Ebola pops up in a African village and then quickly dies out after it ravages that village and everything is burned to the ground. Enter the W.H.O. World Horde Oil more like!

I found this story to be quite revealing to put it bluntly, He is a volunteer in Africa describing what happens in his day to day ordeal helping to fight this virus.

I am supervising the suspect tent, which has room for 25 patients who are likely to have Ebola – 80-90% of those we test have the virus. We administer treatment for malaria, start patients on antibiotics, paracetamol, multivitamins, rehydration supplements, food, water and juice while they wait for their results. Sometimes people have arrived too late and die shortly after arriving. In one afternoon last week I watched five seemingly fit, healthy, young men die. I gave the first a bottle of oral rehydration solution and came back with another for the second. In the half a minute or so in which I had been away the first man died, his bottle of water spilt across the floor.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... or-movie/

So, before they even know if they have the Virus they pump them full of drugs and god knows what and then seemingly healthy people just fall dead and they blame Ebola lol. Now if that isn't the biggest wake up call to whats going on over there I don't know what is.

Ask yourself this, would most Americans be scared if those two doctors had not been brought back to the U.S. and the media make such a big spectacle about it? Funny how they were miraculously cured by this drug that they just happened to have on the shelf ready right?

What better way for them to get to all that oil when they previously were having such a hard time with all the fighting that's been going on between the Islamic terrorist and normal African tribes. It wasn't safe for any oil workers before and I will bet you in a year or two it sure will be.

I may not be right but that is my thoughts on the matter. They really do not need this to spread outside Africa right now anyway.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

If it was airborne, we'd all be dead by now. Thankfully, it's still in it's bodily fluids transmission stage. I think it will stay that way for the time being, because it's still spreading. H2H transmission hasn't affected it yet, and it's happy. Once it starts burning out, I think you'll see a mutation occur. For now, happy and fed ebola is not mutating.

I say that knowing ebola has no mind, it's not planning, nor plotting against humanity. It's a tiny thing striving for survival in a world populated by higher lifeforms. Strive it does. It's breaking out of it's tiny niche, it's West African homeland, with all of humanity to feed upon.

The Zaire Strain this started from? We're gonna have to give it many new names. Honestly, ebola doesn't have to go airborne, it just needs to rely upon sloppy containment procedures. It's already all over the world.

We're just waiting for the cases to be reported.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

It is definitely Ebola killing people, but I agree that the lack of international support has to do with oil.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Druid42

....Thankfully, it's still in it's bodily fluids transmission stage. I think it will stay that way for the time being, because it's still spreading. H2H transmission hasn't affected it yet, and it's happy. Once it starts burning out, I think you'll see a mutation occur. For now, happy and fed ebola is not mutating.

Erm. That is so wrong. So NOT scientifically sound, or anywhere near fact. Sorry...

Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace

....Every time a new person gets Ebola, the virus gets another chance to mutate and develop new capabilities. Osterholm calls it "genetic roulette."

....Ebola is an RNA virus, which means every time it copies itself, it makes one or two mutations. Many of those mutations mean nothing, but some of them might be able to change the way the virus behaves inside the human body.

....One group of researchers looked at how Ebola changed over a short period of time in just one area in Sierra Leone early on in the outbreak, before it was spreading as fast as it is now. They found more than 300 genetic changes in the virus.

"It's frightening to look at how much this virus mutated within just three weeks," said Dr. Pardis Sabeti, an associate professor at Harvard and senior associate member of the Broad Institute, where the research was done.

Even without becoming airborne, the virus has overwhelmed efforts to stop it.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

And you are also kind of wrong, as your very article says:

the virus is[...]spreading out of control because of the lack of doctors, epidemiologists and nurses keeping Ebola at bay.

The changes to Ebola have nothing to do with it being hard to stop, in fact, the strain found in West Africa is actually less potent than previous strains as it has a lower Case Fatality Rate. (50-70% instead of 70-95%) In countries with modern medicine and treatment facilities that rate seems to be even lower (20-25%)

Even the final part of your source:

Even without becoming airborne, the virus has overwhelmed efforts to stop it.

Seems a bit alarmist as it isn't the virus itself overwhelming the infected countries as much as it is the relief those countries have to offer.

Source of Ebola Found

Among their findings, the researchers discovered that the current viral strains come from a related strain that left Central Africa within the past ten years. And the research confirms that the virus likely spread into Sierra Leone when women became infected after attending the funeral of a traditional healer who had been treating Guinean Ebola patients.

One surprise from the paper is that two different strains of Ebola came out of that funeral. This suggests that either the healer was infected with two different strains or that another person at the funeral was already infected.

Ebola's mutation rate itself isn't anything unusual[...]Viruses randomly mutate over time. This is completely normal for viruses, and there's no reason to think that Ebola's mutation rate is anything weird or unusual.

edit on 16-9-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The changes to Ebola have nothing to do with it being hard to stop, in fact, the strain found in West Africa is actually less potent than previous strains as it has a lower Case Fatality Rate. (50-70% instead of 70-95%)

As I have been saying all along - this strain has a 50% fatality rate - much less than other Zaire strains. My issue with druid's post was that he said Ebola is not mutating - that's wrong - it definitely is mutating, and will keep doing so. Also fyi - viruses tend to become less "potent" aka deadly as they develop the ability to spread more easily. It's just the way biology works. ....I have evaluated the research showing Ebola is airborne and keep repeating that it's not airborne in humans. Yet.

RE: alarmist. The fact is, if the Ebola epidemic is not stopped in West Africa asap, then the opportunities for its mutation to airborne increase greatly, as does the likelihood of its going global.

eta: Another fact - this epidemic is out of control - which is why every nation in the world with any capacity should send everything they have to help stop it where it started.

edit on 16/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
eta: Another fact - this epidemic is out of control - which is why every nation in the world with any capacity should send everything they have to help stop it where it started.

They won't though, an I believe it has to do with resources
edit on 16-9-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

uh huh. But things do change - and occasionally, people realize they might have been wrong. Posted 1 month earlier, on August 5: EBOLA: Clearing the Path for US Corporate Investments in Africa?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here’s How Much Money the World Has Spent Battling Ebola

Shows you should take a country's pledges with a pinch of salt.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join