It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Source: Flight leaves for Liberia to evacuate Americans infected with Ebola

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Isn't this the plot of that movie Outbreak or the book Hot Zone? Haha...

originally posted by: LrdRedhawk
Allow me to clarify just how "safe" these people who deal with these diseases really are. I live in Atlanta and my EX-wife is a SUPERVISOR at the CDC who works every day with EBOLA and every other nasty thing you can imagine. Every day she has to go through wearing the "suit" and then go through the decontamination procedure before coming home.

Well, one day she gets home and I'm on the front porch to greet her. She reaches for the front doorknob to go inside and then she pauses, looks down at her feet, then looks up at me with a panic-stricken face...

SHE FORGOT TO CHANGE HER SHOES AND WAS WEARING THE SAME SHOES SHE WORE INTO THE DAMN LAB SHE HANDLES THOSE DISEASES IN!!!

She simply shook it off and said, "Well, there's nothing I can do about it now," and took her shoes off and left them outside on the porch. She went on the next day as if nothing had ever happened.

So with that said, all you people talking about how "safe" this is and how "professional" all these people are... no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. These "professionals" are all HUMAN and they make mistakes ON A REGULAR BASIS. I'm sure it's not intentional, but by them knowingly bringing people infected with Ebola into the US, this is definitely a disaster waiting to happen.

As I said earlier, she is now my EX-wife. Living with her was just way too damn stressful!

Also, I agree that by bringing infected patients here to the states, especially to a highly populated city, is not a good move. Who approved this and why? I understand that medical center has the appropriate facilities to deal with level 4 contaminants and they do work closely (possibly hand-in-hand) with the CDC. But like someone already stated, it would be more logical and safer to bring the infected person on a ship and fly the medicine from the states over to them. That way the disease would still be somewhat contained at least.

All I can say is stay away from sick looking, coughing, sneezing people and wash your hands often. Personally, I would go so far as to wear a mask when going into crowded places. This situation could either go of without a hitch or be a complete cluster F.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If they cannot contain it with 10000% certainty - then DON''T bring them back here!!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Yesterday

As Ebola threat grows, CDC calls for halt to nonessential travel to West Africa

Washington — - Americans are being asked to avoid nonessential travel to the West African nations of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone where history's largest outbreak of the Ebola virus continues to spread throughout the region.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday issued the Level 3 travel warning as outbreaks of the deadly virus occur across all three countries, which share a common border.

Today, they bring it to the States?

Why don't they follow their own advice.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I tend to quote the book "The Hot Zone" when talking about Ebola due to the writer having actually gone to both USAMRIID and the CDC as well as to Kitchum Cave (where they thought it started from). He talked to the experts and got their opinions as well as having them tell what all happened during a outbreak of Ebola in Washington D.C.

This gives you food for thought,I quote from the book " Then in mid-February,a Hazleton animal caretaker who will be called John Coleus was performing a necropsy on a dead monkey when he cut his thumb with a scalpel.He had been slicing apart the liver,one of the favorite nesting sites of Ebola......The liver that he had been cutting was rushed to USAMRIID for analysis.Tom Geisbert looked at a piece of it under his microscope and ,to his dismay,found that it was "incredibly hot---I mean,wall to wall with virus." Everyone at the Institute thought John Coleus was going to die.......The CDC decided not to put him in isolation. So Coleus visited bars and drank beer with his friends." That somehow doesn't make me feel safe.

On another note about this."When a virus is trying,so to speak,to crash into the human species,the warning sign may be a spattering of breaks at different times and places.These are microbreaks." In time he goes on to say,that finally the virus will go full blown into the human species.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I never said it was a nefarious plot by the evil governments of the planet...

I was suggesting it was a nefarious plot by the evil 'terrorist' of the planet. Maybe some mad scientist from India or a disgruntled doctor from Doctors Without Borders‎. A mad scientist even...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Just curious....How much is the Obama administration paying you to push the Democratic agenda on this site?
Or are you on here because you just have a huge Democratic heart?
Or, are you just 'crowd control'?
NSA maybe....

I just noticed you joined ATS just after Obamacare went 'operational' and you're averaging about 10 post a day with 1 star per post. And you live next door to Langley AFB in Hampton, Virginia.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Whether it's airborne or not coughs/sneezes contaminate surfaces. Droplets in the air could contact the eyes/lips/mouth or settle onto food/drink. I've heard sweat also harbors it. Containing it on a plane would be nearly impossible. Anyone displaying symptoms of illness in flight could also cause panic.

I don't trust airport screening, asymptomatic people will get through. Africans in quarantined communities might be motivated to get out, panicked people will lie to airport screeners or possibly stow away.

The man that flew to Nigeria supposedly had no idea his sick sister had Ebola, duh. He told screeners he had no contact with an infected person. Just taking someone's word for it is a luxury we can't afford.

I'm not sure we can believe reported numbers coming out of Africa. From what I've read some Africans are distrustful of hospitals/medical staff. I don't know if we're getting a fair assessment. Maybe that's why the CDC wants a closer look in a more controlled environment.

Imo anyone coming out of the "hot zone" should be quarantined. The symptoms start out too vague. I don't worry about the two flying into Atlanta as much as I worry about the humanitarian aid workers flocking home. Trusting them to report symptoms in a timely manner is a bit lax. Those living alone could become bedridden/die at home.

I don't think it could spread in the states like it has in Africa but if it gets into the homeless community/IV drug users that could be a game changer.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I don't think you were replying to me. Im in the med field and know its not really worrisome. If only due to what I said in the post: "But, all things considered, the U.S. has some of the most stringent and secure medical procedures, quarantine and isolation facilities."

In other words...even so. Its nothing to worry about due to incubation rates, transmission methods and very low potential of spreading anyway in this country due to what I quoted above from my earlier post.

Besides. We already have vials and vials of this and just as dangerous viruses and infectious materials in the CDC. We always have had. For "research".

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join