It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Source: Flight leaves for Liberia to evacuate Americans infected with Ebola

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
I second that, with the resent anthrax scare at the CDC. Who knows what will happen.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

They'll probably have a better chance of survival here. One received some serum of some Kind. An experimental treatment but there was only one dose.
It appears these two will be housed near the CDC in Atlanta. Don't worry these two aren't going to start an epidemic here in the US.

I would probably be thrilled they are being brought home to the states if I were the wife.

However, I hope CDC is more cautious than they have been recently.
CDC shut down two research labs this month

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am ok with this, bring back 2 people that volunteered to go into a hot zone and help people, then when the two got sick the doctor was offered the experimental treatment and he said give it to the nurse, then the doc got a transfusion from a boy that he had helped save.

Good people risking everything to help those in need, yes you bring them back,

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
We all know how good the US is at keeping things contained so what is there to possibly worry about? If it gets out it won't be an accident but it will surely be called one.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Is the US already setting up Ebola quarantine zones?

LINK

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Two West African countries and the United Nations stepped up plans to fight the world's largest outbreak of Ebola in a bid to stem the disease's deadly spread, as the U.S. warned against nonessential travel to the region.

The World Health Organization on Thursday said it planned to launch a $100 million campaign with the help of member countries to bring under control an epidemic that it said has killed 729 people, mostly in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. The U.N. agency said several hundred more medical personnel were needed in the three countries.

Ernest Bai Koroma, the president of Sierra Leone, had hours earlier deployed the army to quarantine Ebola-stricken neighborhoods in his country and banned public meetings for at least 60 days, except those for education about the virus.

The Wall Street Journal

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

It absolutely is a stupid idea. But, all things considered, the U.S. has some of the most stringent and secure medical procedures, quarantine and isolation facilities.

Even that fact should scare us all. It only takes one slip and we're into pandemic mode. I wonder who thought this was a good idea?

(I'll just bet they dont live themselves in the U.S. either!)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I am ok with this, bring back 2 people that volunteered to go into a hot zone and help people, then when the two got sick the doctor was offered the experimental treatment and he said give it to the nurse, then the doc got a transfusion from a boy that he had helped save.

Good people risking everything to help those in need, yes you bring them back,

Yes they sacrificed so others could live that I will agree with, but to bring them back was a mistake IMHO. If you want to stop a virus you don't slap a $20 bill on its back and say good luck while its getting on a plain.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It seems to me it would be more prudent to put them on medical ship off shore of either Africa or the U.S. rather than fly them to a major city in the continental U.S.

a reply to: Irishhaf

That's really lovely sentiment but totally irrelevant to this medical crisis. I wish them and their families well but they *knew the risks* when they signed up to volunteer in a third world country. What about any of the thousands of people scheduled for procedures at Emory? They didn't volunteer to be possibly subjected to this random deadly pathogen from half way across the world.

edit on 7/31/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Uncharged laptop nope, uncharged cell phone nope, two infected with Ebola, sure come right on in.
edit on 31-7-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Very bad idea .. the entire area in africa where the outbreak is should have been quarantined from the start of the outbreak.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Absolutely. Bring them back to the CDC.

CDC preparedness funds take hit in proposed 2014 budget

It is not as if there are any reasons the public should have a confidence problem with that organization, as these people come in carrying one of the single scariest diseases known to mankind.

What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I have a feeling that it might have been the goal for this couple to bring back a hot-zone virus before any suspected terrorists do. It's so it can be researched in a controlled environment, with the possibility of developing a more effective treatment.

If they survive this ordeal, they might even be rewarded for it. The risks are rather high, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some secret programs out there for "biohazard bounty-hunters".

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is a horrible idea.

This has the potential to be a nightmare. Honestly? I want to leave Atlanta NOW. Before this plane lands.

I don't care what precautions they say they are taking or intend to take...accidents and worse can happen.

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but I don't think we should let this plane land in the U.S.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Allow me to clarify just how "safe" these people who deal with these diseases really are. I live in Atlanta and my EX-wife is a SUPERVISOR at the CDC who works every day with EBOLA and every other nasty thing you can imagine. Every day she has to go through wearing the "suit" and then go through the decontamination procedure before coming home.

Well, one day she gets home and I'm on the front porch to greet her. She reaches for the front doorknob to go inside and then she pauses, looks down at her feet, then looks up at me with a panic-stricken face...

SHE FORGOT TO CHANGE HER SHOES AND WAS WEARING THE SAME SHOES SHE WORE INTO THE DAMN LAB SHE HANDLES THOSE DISEASES IN!!!

She simply shook it off and said, "Well, there's nothing I can do about it now," and took her shoes off and left them outside on the porch. She went on the next day as if nothing had ever happened.

So with that said, all you people talking about how "safe" this is and how "professional" all these people are... no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. These "professionals" are all HUMAN and they make mistakes ON A REGULAR BASIS. I'm sure it's not intentional, but by them knowingly bringing people infected with Ebola into the US, this is definitely a disaster waiting to happen.

As I said earlier, she is now my EX-wife. Living with her was just way too damn stressful!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Emory has an isolation wing for highly infectious diseases that is separate from the rest of the compound. While I can understand people's clams that this is a dumb move the way I see it the CDC and the US are finally taking this outbreak seriously. Emory is not only one of the few hospitals in the country equipped to handle this disease it is also one of the top research hospitals. Assuming the two survive long enough to make the trip back this will be the first time doctors will be have access to a human host in a state of the art facility. On top of that we have one patient who was injected with an experimental serum and another who was given blood from a boy who survived the virus. So you can bet, regardless of the outcome, these two will be subjected to a number of experiments in an effort to find ways to combat this terror.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
They don't need to bring this to the U.S. to either take it seriously or combat it.

This is not a wise move. It is in fact horrifying.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
They have to go from A to B and a host of things could happen in between. I feel for the families I really do, but they still won't be able to get anywhere near them. It seems way to risky.

Also the use of a experimental vaccine is the plot for too many zombie type movies!!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Wow, I feel really bad for you folks in Kansas if Ebola comes there. The "top expert" there said this to CNN:

Dr. Lee Norman, chief medical officer at The University of Kansas Hospital:

"Ebola cannot be transmitted via coughs or sneezes."

Compare what he said to what the CDC says:

From the "CDC Interim Guidance about Ebola Virus Infection for Airline Flight Crews, Cargo and Cleaning Personnel, and Personnel Interacting with Arriving Passengers":

Transmission to humans may occur through direct contact with blood or body fluids (e.g., saliva, and urine) of an infected person or animal or through contact with objects that have been contaminated with the blood or other body fluids of an infected person.

Provide the sick passenger with a surgical mask (if the passenger can tolerate wearing one) to reduce the number of droplets expelled into the air by talking, sneezing, or coughing.

www.cnn.com...

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

So then what should they do? Africa simply doesn't have the facilities to properly research it. Neither does any secluded island nor boat. Should we just try to pawn them off on some other country that does have the facilities and resources? There are people that work with Ebola every day in this country and there hasn't been an outbreak yet. Why? Because our containment protocols are much more stringent than those found in Africa. These are the same protocols that will be applied in this case.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join