It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Climate Change, huh? Well, let's recap this past week's extreme weather events

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: Rezlooper

What's the solution, what can be done to stop it?

Here are a few good articles about the rising methane levels and how scientists still don't understand why it's rising or what caused it to start rising after it leveled off in 1997.

They point to all different kinds of reasons for the cause, but in truth, they have no clue. As to what can be done to stop it, they still don't have any clue. I think fracking has to stop immediately, but there's so much money involved in it by now that I just don't see that happening. Hell, fracking is even being blamed for increasing earthquake activity. Take a look at earthquake activity in Oklahoma and Ohio. There are other areas to that are starting to see the relationship between fracking and quakes. But, also fracking originally was supposed to be cleaner for the atmosphere than coal but in order for that to be, they couldn't allow more than 3% of the gas to escape the drill holes into the atmosphere. There have been studies now reporting that some operations are losing up to 9% of the gas. Even the EPA is admitting now that this is happening. That's a lot of methane gas when you consider there are 400,000 holes already drilled.

Landfills are a great source of methane, so what can we do stop these emissions? Some cities are capturing landfill gas and using it as an energy source. Maybe this should be done on a large scale.

The greatest source is wetlands.

Overall, the greatest threat is the Arctic and as permafrost melts, methane releases from below. As the ocean temperatures warm (which they are), then methane hydrates (frozen methane at the bottom) melt and release plumes of gas that sometimes reach the atmosphere. There are hundreds of methane seeps found in the Arctic, some that researchers are calling megaflares, and this gas is reaching the atmosphere. The only way to stop this is to stop the warming temperatures and especially the warming ocean temps. How do we do that on a global scale?

Why is there more methane in the atmosphere?

Methane causes vicious cycle in global warming

A study published last week in Science magazine suggests that at least part of this increase is coming from the vast wetlands in Canada, Russia and the Arctic. The methane in wetlands comes from naturally occurring bacteria. But study author Paul Palmer at the University of Edinburgh says the bacteria are producing more methane because the temperature is rising.

"The higher the temperature, the more efficient they are at producing methane," he says. So global warming is causing these wetlands to produce more methane. And the methane is causing more global warming.

Think Global Green

Landfill methane

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Back to the argument about what's happening in your neck of the woods. Your 'neck of the woods' doesn't represent the entire planet. The Atlantic Hurricane season is the only one that is quiet. Check out the Pacific hurricanes and the typhoons in Asia. In just the past year, they've had two of their heaviest Super-Typhoons yet and they are having plenty more of these extreme typhoons. One after the other. I'm not desperate...I'm right.

That's not an accurate statement. The average amount of Pacific Typhoons is at best "average" or even "below average" in number in recent years. Sure there were some big storms but overall activity is down from any historical highs in Numbers of Typhoons.
Source (had a hard time finding yearly records for some reason)

Feel free to point me to yearly data if I am wrong, weather isn't an area of major interest to me. I just dabble.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

You could be right on that one. I haven't been tracking typhoons either, just paying attention to the super typhoons and I know that Haiyan had the strongest winds to ever hit land. It may be that it's average for the number of storms but the strength of each storm is something to take notice of.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

What I referenced was for Boston, and it's suburbs for that matter. There hasn't been a tornado in that region since prior to 1950. Check that out.

There have been tornadoes in the region around Boston, that was the point. Check out the tornado map and you can see when and where.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I love that the AGW apologists don't even know what AGW is. Global warming is a rise in the average temperature of the earth. This means local weather events don't matter much. But record cold summers across an area as vast as the USA requires the rest of the world to be a little warmer than average or another, similarly sized area to be enduring a record hot summer.

Further more, tornadoes have been on the decline (fewer every year) just like most extreme weather events. Warmer weather is better for the human race than cooler weather.

But don't let that get in the way of wishing we caused the earth to warm by burning fossil fuels. Now roll down your windows and blast the AC, gotta do your part

edit on 30-7-2014 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's usually cold in TN!

This morning Nashville tied its record low for July 30 of 58 degrees (set in 1965). Crossville broke its record low with a reading of 51 degrees. The previous record of 53 was also set in 1965. Finally, this is the first time since 1976 that Nashville has had 4 sub-60 degree lows in July. (MAR)

Source

OR

Source
edit on 30-7-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Huge difference between rarely and never, both areas have had tornadoes before so they are not indications of new weather. People aren't saying there isn't climate change only that humans are not the cause.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tmeister182

Yeah, many argue about whether humans are the cause or not, but many skeptics don't believe there is any thing off with Mother Nature at all. Several posters on this thread have suggested these weather events are normal.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Moving into a New Age, may be a cause ?

Why is it, that I KNOW someone on this planet knows exactly what is going on ?

Everyone reads the horoscopes and they are crazily accurate if done right, yet skeptical as hell of an overview on the Solar System and its position moving into Aquarius.

I postulate that this subject , along with the truths of religion are tightly guarded from the masses, because to have the hordes know the truth, is curtains for them!

And they sure know how to use these partial truths to completely waste everyones time, and make us believe that no one can ever know!!

But dam, we better do something about it!!, Like Lets Continue to NOT find OUT !!!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Well, after all, I do take Climate Change as seriously as Climate Change proponents. If we take a closer look, I haven't noticed that people who believe in Climate Change are in exodus from the places mentioned in the above piece, nor from coastlines. I haven't noticed any survivalist movement from them, nor of them buying weapons, stockpiles of food, medical supplies nor having bug out locations. There seems to be a lot of noise to get the government to levy carbon taxes and for everyone to go green. But if it was so bad, especially with countries like China ignoring the whole movement which itself is enough to ruin the climate, and then with the powerful "Deniers", it would be expected that Climate Change proponents would be running away in an organized fashion to what they would see as the safest place. However, they are not (I have never heard anything). The experts should be running away from this impending catastrophic threat, but they stay put just moaning. This means that ultimately they don't take it anymore seriously than an intellectual fad. So as they personally don't take Climate Change seriously, neither do I. The only difference between me and them is that I don't moan about it.
edit on 30-7-2014 by naftaland because: Additional details to opinion

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Jesus christ... So... Using the logic of this thread... If I can find a period in our recent history where not much happened (would be difficult, big world lol), would that prove to you global warming does not exist?

If I can find a period in our long distant past whereby there were fierce weather events would that prove to you that global warming was real back then? When I say global warming I don't mean the natural cycles that anyone with half a brain can see, I mean the one where we are put to blame??

So much non-sense going round the same points again and again...

I mean the world is in a constant flux, ever changing!!! Always has been for crying out loud...

Lands have shifted, some force underground and into the center of the earth some split up and sent over the other side of the world... Some lands have came up out of the ground!

The world is alive and the past PROVES this is NORMAL... Get that? It is SUPPOSED to do this!!!!

You people are dangerous as all hell! You want to stop the climate changing? Are you out of your mind?
edit on 31-7-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I thought you could not push things like your book on ATS?

If I wrote a book about something and the sale of the book depended on people believing in the topic I would want to push it also......Hmm. If it walks like a duck.....I do like you writing style I must say.
edit on 31-7-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: lonweld
The OP sounds a lot like Al Gore telling us the ice caps in the arctic will be melted by 2014......

The funny thing is, the ice caps ARE melting. Deny what's in front of your own eyes?
What Al Gore said or predicted is irrelevant. Look at FACTS, and do yourself a favor and at least try to see the climate change debate without a bias. The climate doesn't care about political parties. LOOK AT FACTS.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: lemmin
Can we ignore this climate change thing and just agree we should probably stop pumping CO² into the atmosphere?

Plants need CO2, the more the better, American growers even have CO2 generators in their green houses, google CO2 generators.
As for atmospheric CO2, its less than one percent, I have asked this many times before, just how does less than one percent have so much effect on the other ninety nine percent?
Things that effect the earths 'weather' :- 24 thousand year cycle, earths axle tilt, volcanic activity (one particular eruption led to the french revolution) suns various sunspot cycles, deforestation, reforestation, glaciation, deglaciation, green algae blooms, blue algae blooms, El Nino, cloud cover, please, is that enough?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

El Nino is on the point of failing this year, due to the amount of heat going into the oceans. Methane hydrates are destabilising and subliminating into the waters of the Arctic. We are starting to see the feedback loop assert itself. We need to get very, very worried.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

The OP sounds a lot like Al Gore telling us the ice caps in the arctic will be melted by 2014......

The funny thing is, the ice caps ARE melting. Deny what's in front of your own eyes?
What Al Gore said or predicted is irrelevant. Look at FACTS, and do yourself a favor and at least try to see the climate change debate without a bias. The climate doesn't care about political parties. LOOK AT FACTS.

I am reminded of a news story earlier this year of a guy in a sail boat trying to sail through the north west passage had to be rescued as his boat got stuck fast in the ice!
According to reports in climate depot, Antarctic sea ice is at its greatest extent since records began, and its been growing year on year.
There has been temperature change for the last sixteen years, so ice melt mystifies me.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
OOPs! no temperature change, sorry.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

I am reminded of a news story earlier this year of a guy in a sail boat trying to sail through the north west passage had to be rescued as his boat got stuck fast in the ice!
According to reports in climate depot, Antarctic sea ice is at its greatest extent since records began, and its been growing year on year.
There has been temperature change for the last sixteen years, so ice melt mystifies me.

I'm sorry, but no. The temperature has not been stuck for the past 16 years, it's rising. The oceans are getting hotter and hotter and it's having an impact on the poles. The glaciers of Antarctica are moving faster and it's actually snowing again in some parts. I know that last part sounds bleeding obvious but it's not - parts of the South Pole actually classify as being desert due to the minimal amount of precipitation that falls on those parts, as it's literally too cold to snow there. That's now changing - it's warming.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
a reply to: tmeister182

Yeah, many argue about whether humans are the cause or not, but many skeptics don't believe there is any thing off with Mother Nature at all. Several posters on this thread have suggested these weather events are normal.

See, that's the problem here--some say it's normal (which, by looking at statistics, much of it is), but you say it's not. But, having followed this global-warming debate for nearly a decade now and educating my way to being an AGW "denier" (AKA: Constructive Thinker--jetisoning emotion and looking at all data from all sides), there is overwhelming evidence that (a) AGW leaders, such as Gore and the IPCC, have lied about and manipulated too much data in order to conform to their theory, and (b) there is a plethora* of data and common sense available that tell us that these changes are a normal process on Earth.

Extreme weather events are not increasing, but are decreasing in recent history (easily found if you just Google for the information...at least for US information). Using individual worst-case-scenario events to try and scream about an all-encompassing problem is a bad debate tactic and even worse scientific research. To find what is really going on, you need to discard most of these things you discuss, along with the extremes on the other end of the scale, and then go from there.

Your argument comes across as intellectually dishonest--it may just be the tactic that you use, but that's the image portrayed from reading all of the worst-case scenarios you list.

Just trying to keep it real. Best Regards.

* "Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora." -- El Guapo, "Three Amigos"

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Remember those climate scientists whose boat got frozen in the ice and they were stuck for a couple weeks?

Me likey irony.

a reply to: pikestaff

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join