It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monitor to Hook Up a PC for Internet TV Viewing?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mary Rose
I have a cable modem on my computer. I want to watch internet TV on my TV, but I know from reading my owner's manual that "This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC (personal computer)."

I have a 34" TV and it's a perfect size for the room, so I don't want to change that.

Is there such a thing as just a monitor (I don't watch regular television anymore) that is designed to be used not as a TV, but as a monitor hooked up to a PC?

I would also want to be able to hook up my DVD player to this monitor. It's a regular DVD player; not HD.

And my stereo speakers.

So, what I'm looking for is a 34" monitor to hook my PC, DVD player, and stereo speakers up to.

Also, must be able to work with remote control. I have to be able to pause documentaries.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

What about this:

"This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC (personal computer)."

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Mary Rose

I highly recommend Google Chromecast. It is under $70 with shipping.

It's basically a wireless HDMI cable and you can broadcast anything you can get on a Google Chrome web browser. It handles all audio as well and broadcasts in HD 1080p if your TV can support that. I have had it for 6 months now and love it! Best of all its a Google product and they will stand behind it.

I got sucked into the Boxee Box, and its horrible...basically death to d-link for creating such a useless product.

Google Chromecast
edit on thppmMon, 28 Jul 2014 12:09:01 -0500k1407America/Chicago2809 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

yes what about it? the main question is what kind of connection do you have on the TV DVI/VGA/HDMI as long as it has any 1 of those or more it works with a PC as long as the graphics card has those connections.

I've never heard of a TV that can't work with a PC as long as it has 1 of those connections mainly DVI/HDMI.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

I highly recommend Google Chromecast. It is under $70 with shipping.

It's basically a wireless HDMI cable and you can broadcast anything you can get on a Google Chrome web browser. It handles all audio as well and broadcasts in HD 1080p if your TV can support that. I have had it for 6 months now and love it! Best of all its a Google product and they will stand behind it.

I got sucked into the Boxee Box, and its horrible...basically death to d-link for creating such a useless product.

Google Chromecast

This guy right here wins!!! ^^^^^
I got mine used for $25, they should only be like $30-35 anyway.

Do you have a smart phone? You can even stream Netflix and whatnot straight to your TV with a Chromecast from your phone.

Or you can do what everyone else is saying and hook it up with an HDMI cable, but you'd need a graphics card capable of doing that if your integrated graphics aren't compatible. HDMI carries sound and video to the TV. Also, you could get a wireless (or bluetooth if your computer has it, if not you can buy a bluetooth adapter pretty cheap) keyboard/mouse, I've even seen some that have a trackpad like a laptop. I know they make remotes that will work for that with your PC too but I don't know what their called. A lot of this stuff you can get from Newegg.com, it's pretty much THE place to buy computer stuff.

Your TV may just mean that it doesn't have a VGA input, but if it's an HDTV it should have HDMI cables, and it doesn't matter that it's a PC you're hooking up to it. Monitors can be much more expensive than TVs, but they're meant for two differen't viewing ranges and whatnot. So, as long as your TV has HDMI, you should be good. But, probably the easiest option is the Chromecast. I have one and I can use it with any computer/laptop/smartphone in the house! The only trouble is there's no "remote", but I covered that in the previous paragraph.

Holy crap the edits.

edit on 28-7-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have a tv in my living room. It only has HDMI connections and those older ones (with the colored cables).

The only way to connect my PC to it is by either HDMI (which my graphics card has), or with a DVI to HDMI cable.

The DVI go's into my PC, and the HDMI go's right to my TV. Then I has an audio surround system. The TV is connected to the system's box. So now I have my TV displaying my PC, and now two volume source: The TV, and the surround system.

So everytime I wanna watch a movie in the living room, I just take my PC over there.

So here are what you can do:
Buy an adapter, or proper cables.

By proper cables I mean cables that can connect to your pc, and then connect to your tv (like I have a DVI to HDMI cable. The DVI go's into my pc, and the HDMI go's into the tv).

Or buy an adapter. So let's say you have a DVI only cable. Yet your tv has HDMI. Well you can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter. Plug the DVI cable to your computer, then on insert the other end of the DVI cable to the adapter. Now insert the adapter to your HDMI port on your TV. Tada!

I hope I wasn't confusing and gave some help!

If anything just look up cable or adapter types. Like HDMI to DVI (or other way around, but it doesn't matter
), VGA to HDMI or DVI, etc.

Any TV can work with a computer.

Possibly what they meant is that it doesn't have drivers or such that support a computer? Not sure. Maybe when connected to your computer the display might be weird or not processed by your graphics card. idk. Just try and see!
edit on 28-7-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

It handles all audio as well and broadcasts in HD 1080p if your TV can support that.

My problem is that I can't use my existing TV.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

It handles all audio as well and broadcasts in HD 1080p if your TV can support that.

My problem is that I can't use my existing TV.

Just because it says it is not intended for it does not mean it will not work fine for a computer monitor, all the TV knows is it is getting digital input. Does your TV just have the the RED, Green, and Blue component cables? if so you can get a DVI to RGB adaptor and hookup it up from your computer, easy as pie. For the audio take RCA to male 3.5mm head[hone jack, plug the headphone end to your computer and the RCA ( red, and white) end to your TV and you you will have audio and video.

PS. Try not to be too snarky we are providing you with advice for free.
edit on 7/28/2014 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I'm sorry to say then that you have very few, if any, options. If you want internet on your TV... You need to upgrade...or get really good with doing hack jobs on AV equipment to make it do what you want.

The one downside of Google Chromecast is that it ONLY broadcasts to your TV from Google Chrome. Nothing from your hard drive or media a drives. Something which I am sure will evolve as time goes on. Sorry I can't be of more help. I understand the want to do away with cable and watch what you want when you want...without having to pay stupidly high costs for cable AND internet.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
Do you have a smart phone?

No.

Your TV may just mean that it doesn't have a VGA input, but if it's an HDTV it should have HDMI cables, and it doesn't matter that it's a PC you're hooking up to it.

Here's the back of my TV:

Monitors can be much more expensive than TVs, but they're meant for two differen't viewing ranges and whatnot.

That really surprises me. I learned something today.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I understand the want to do away with cable and watch what you want when you want...without having to pay stupidly high costs for cable AND internet.

What I'm after is a TV website that as far as I know is not on cable.

Also I have Amazon Prime which includes Instant Video with NO ADS!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vamana
yes what about it?

I interpreted the notation as a warning not to try it because it won't work.

It says it should not be used with a PC.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
Do you have a smart phone?

No.

Your TV may just mean that it doesn't have a VGA input, but if it's an HDTV it should have HDMI cables, and it doesn't matter that it's a PC you're hooking up to it.

Here's the back of my TV:

Monitors can be much more expensive than TVs, but they're meant for two differen't viewing ranges and whatnot.

That really surprises me. I learned something today.

Okay the Color Stream HD1 is the RGB component I was referring to, hook the DVI to RGB and then to "color stream 1" then hook the audio up like I said before and just switch it to that input and you're cooking with gas.

Edit- Scratch that just get a DVI computer monitor and hook it up directly and do the separate audio.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

yes what about it?

I interpreted the notation as a warning not to try it because it won't work.

It says it should not be used with a PC.

I can assure you that if it would not work with computers it would not have the native DVI input, the instruction manual might be for a slightly different model than what you actually have. If you want to be safe call the manufacturer and give them the serial number off the TV and they will for sure know it it will not harm the TV.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

That's all you need to hook up to have the sound and video from your computer.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

pretty much yes, also I can assure you that nothing bad will happen to your TV by hooking it up to your PC it is just like using a normal monitor.

also I am not sure on this but I believe if you simply use a HDMI to DVI adapter from your graphics card to your TV it will also transfer audio through it, but I'm not quite sure on this and it depends on your graphics card I think the newer versions manage to do this.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

What I'm after is a TV website that as far as I know is not on cable.

Right now I'm watching an interview from that website and I paused it to create this post.

I can see watching this interview with my two grown sons, my daughters-in-law, and my grandson as life-altering.

I guess I can't link to it because it requires a subscription.

But the title is "Beyond Belief: The Future of Space Exploration with Robert Zimmerman (May 2014)" and it's on gaiamtv.com.

Gaiam TV is not on cable, correct? Or satellite TV? Or whatever?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

... but I know from reading my owner's manual that "This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC (personal computer)." ...

The only reason I can think of that it says that is because a TV screen isn't designed to be sat close to like a monitor is. If your TV and PC has an hdmi connection then just hook it up, no harm will happen, also in must cases sound will also work over the hdmi connection. If you dont have a hdmi then try s-video or the vga connection, but sound wont travel over those connection so it will need to be connected separately. You will need to buy a separate remote for the PC so you can control it without a keyboard.

I've had my 42" LCD TV hooks up to my PC for while over 3 years now, exclusively for internet tv videos, never had any problems.

I use XBMC to watch video on my tv, they have a large community that creates various addons for it from many different sources(websites).
edit on 28/7/14 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kr0nZ
. . . also in must cases sound will also work over the hdmi connection.

Will the sound come from the Bose speakers I have in my computer armoire or my stereo speakers that are hooked up to my TV?

(Please forgive me if that is a really stupid question.)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

. . . I can assure you that nothing bad will happen to your TV by hooking it up to your PC it is just like using a normal monitor.

Maybe the cables that are available now weren't available when that TV was manufactured?

I bought it in 2003.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join