It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monitor to Hook Up a PC for Internet TV Viewing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have a cable modem on my computer. I want to watch internet TV on my TV, but I know from reading my owner's manual that "This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC (personal computer)."

I have a 34" TV and it's a perfect size for the room, so I don't want to change that.

Is there such a thing as just a monitor (I don't watch regular television anymore) that is designed to be used not as a TV, but as a monitor hooked up to a PC?

I would also want to be able to hook up my DVD player to this monitor. It's a regular DVD player; not HD.

And my stereo speakers.

So, what I'm looking for is a 34" monitor to hook my PC, DVD player, and stereo speakers up to.

Is there such an animal?
edit on 07/28/14 by Mary Rose because: Add stereo speakers

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Maybe but monitors are expensive compared to buying atv with a hdmi hook up and run everything through that. And if you wanted to watch tv again it would be ready

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Mary Rose

All computer monitors are made to be used as such because of the higher amount of pixels make reading text FAR easier and less straining on the eyes. You can use any monitor you'd like as a TV as long as it has the proper connector VGA/DVI(many kinds most don't play audio)/hdmi. You can use any TV you want but it'll give you a hard time when reading smaller chat. You could buy a monitor at 34 inches but i'll cost you a pretty penny.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Most TV's have a VGA connection as well as multiple HDMI connections. You can use the VGA connection to get video, or if your PC has HDMI out, then you can use that and get both video and sound from the TV. I have used TV's in several occasions where the customer has really bad eyes and wants a big monitor. A TV is very cheap compared to a monitor.

Plus, the TV will be ready for any other hookups like a DVD player.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: IBossJekler
Maybe but monitors are expensive compared to buying atv with a hdmi hook up and run everything through that.

No kidding!

HDMI = High-Definition Multimedia Interface

You're saying monitors are expensive compared to buying an HD TV with an HDMI hook up?

Or just a regular TV? (Do they make them anymore??)

And if you wanted to watch tv again it would be ready

Good point.

I forgot to mention that I need to also hook up my stereo speakers to the monitor or new TV.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
You don't need a 34" monitor. I'm guessing your TV is a maybe a plasma. Plasma TVs/monitors are susceptible to screen burn.

Anyway, you have a variety of options but the critical thing is that your PC and the TV have ports in common. So take stock of the ports on your PC. There's a fair chance if it's newer, it will have an HDMI port which means you'd only need an HDMI cable to connect to just about any TV made in the last several years. If not, you can look for a TV with a d-sub (VGA) port.

Beyond that, you could look at installing a new graphics card or something like WiDi. Then of course there are Smart TVs that take the PC out of the equation and connect to the network directly.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

It may be cheaper to buy an Internet ready Blu Ray player.

Works for me and ... it's wireless.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I'm guessing your TV is a maybe a plasma.

It's not.

It's a plain HD TV.

Owner's manual says "NTSC standard."

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
My flat screen TV and stereo work just fine, use what a member is telling you. HDMI.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

What I'm looking for is a monitor or new TV.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
So take stock of the ports on your PC. There's a fair chance if it's newer, it will have an HDMI port which means you'd only need an HDMI cable to connect to just about any TV made in the last several years.

It does.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I'll find you one or a few good options. Do you mind shopping newegg? What is your preferred and max price? You can message me if you'd rather not be public about it. I love computer Peripherals shopping.

Edit, Also size preference and size at which you'd settle.
edit on 28-7-2014 by Antipathy17 because: edit

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Right now I use a 40" LCD 1080P TV that I have had for a good 5+years for all my internet browsing and gaming on my laptop. All you need to get is a 720P or 1080P LCD TV of any size you desire. There are a few optimizations that are easily changed to allow bigger icons and text depending on how far away you want to be able to view anything on screen away.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Go Read this

There are any number of ways to connect your computer to your TV you just need the right kind of cable.
Honestly you can just walk into any computer store like best buy and not only will they talk you through the how too, they'll have all the stuff there in the store to do it.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
There are any number of ways to connect your computer to your TV you just need the right kind of cable.

Did you catch the part about my existing TV won't allow it?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
so why not just use your current TV? any TV with HDMI can be used with a PC not sure what you mean with that manual.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
Do you mind shopping newegg?

Duh!!

What in the heck is that?

What is your preferred and max price?

Well, whatever I have to spend to get a picture as good as what I have now with my Toshiba 34HD82.

Must be 34".

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

If the TV doesn't have the right connectors go threw the DVD player, most of them have line-in or DVI S-jacks something like that..

there's always a way...

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mary Rose
And my stereo speakers.

Will my speakers have to hook up to my PC or the monitor/new TV?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Almost any flat screen tv/monitor can hook up to your PC. Use a HDMI cable from PC to screen.

It's all I use. 42 inch flat screen and my laptop. That's it. DVD, XBOX etc are also in use on my screen. Big stereo Speakers run from my laptop but can run from the screen as well.

Peace
edit on 28-7-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join