It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monitor to Hook Up a PC for Internet TV Viewing?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Mary Rose

Everything youre asking about, Ive done before with a 32" tv, stereo, dvd player etc. Not impossible with Radio Shack cheap adapters. Still? I'd get a small HD tv.

Me? Ive bought a 50" HD for my living room....cable supplies sound to the stereo surround, and my inexpensive lap top...or PC...hooks to the big screen.

In other words...there are many different and easy configs you can try with what you have.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Mary Rose

They have to have been around longer than that or it wouldn't have the connection.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

But my computer has HDMI and the TV has DVI/HDCP.

originally posted by: Kuroodo
By proper cables I mean cables that can connect to your pc, and then connect to your tv (like I have a DVI to HDMI cable.

That's what I need, right?
edit on 07/28/14 by Mary Rose because: Add

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

When I do this, I'm not going to be using my TV instead of my PC monitor for internet TV, am I?

I don't see where to hook up the audio on my PC. All I have left is #21 "Line-in connector":

Will the internet TV show appear on both my PC monitor and the TV monitor at the same time?
edit on 07/28/14 by Mary Rose because: Add question

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
You can set up your displays in Windows to either duplicate, so it will show the same on both TV and monitor, or extend, which will make them function separately.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Is it going to be hard to target the remote control to pause this player:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
if its from your PC I don't believe you can use a remote to control it.

yea what you need is HDMI to DVI cable the audio should also go through it but if it doesn't then the Line-in connection can also be used I think with a 1 to 2 audio cable as long as you have an audio manager on your PC e.g Realtek HD audio manager you can simply re-assign the Line-in to front speaker out (some sound cards don't support it but its worth a try).

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vamana

My reason for wanting to do this is to watch internet TV with my kids and have discussions with them as we go along, watching documentaries. (Most of the time I will not be watching from my TV; I'll use my computer monitor.)

It's essential that I be able to pause for that.

So, I guess I have to confirm that before going any further.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mary Rose
My reason for wanting to do this is to watch internet TV with my kids and have discussions with them as we go along, watching documentaries.

Maybe I need to shift gears and look into a second computer and monitor that I would set up in my living room temporarily and then store.

In that case I would not need the 34" screen.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vamana

My reason for wanting to do this is to watch internet TV with my kids and have discussions with them as we go along, watching documentaries. (Most of the time I will not be watching from my TV; I'll use my computer monitor.)

It's essential that I be able to pause for that.

So, I guess I have to confirm that before going any further.

You can buy a wireless keyboard and/or wireless mouse and use either of those (or both) as a "remote control" per se. So long as the wireless signal can be easily picked up from whatever room your sitting in (living room) versus whatever room your computer is in.

Using your tv as a computer monitor is no different than if you were sitting right in front of your computer with your actual computer monitor. You can't control your computer by a remote control, therefore you can't control your tv (which is now hooked up to your computer) by a remote control either.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
You can buy a wireless keyboard and/or wireless mouse and use either of those (or both) as a "remote control" per se. So long as the wireless signal can be easily picked up from whatever room your sitting in (living room) versus whatever room your computer is in.

So, I'm not having to aim anything at a certain spot, right?

A wireless keyboard and/or wireless mouse.

I'm picturing myself and my family, 6 people, watching a documentary where the whole purpose is to have discussion as we go along.

I could have 6 keyboards or 6 mice so each person could pause when he or she needs to?

First, is that feasible; second, would that cost thousands of dollars?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
They do make remotes for PC but I don't know if they'd work how you want them to and pause that particular video player. They're really made for true, dedicated HTPCs (home theater PC). Wireless keyboards and mice are not very expensive. In fact they cost about as much as a PC remote. As I mentioned before, they even make them with built in trackpads like a little laptop keyboard.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

So, I'm not having to aim anything at a certain spot, right?

A wireless keyboard and/or wireless mouse.

I'm picturing myself and my family, 6 people, watching a documentary where the whole purpose is to have discussion as we go along.

I could have 6 keyboards or 6 mice so each person could pause when he or she needs to?

First, is that feasible; second, would that cost thousands of dollars?
If you need Six of them then I'd get a bunch of wireless mice because they are much cheaper at around $5 a piece. Get all identical brands so they will work with the same USB adapter. You could tape the bottoms of all but one so you can have the "master" for yourself so the mouse pointer won't go crazy and the others can just click to pause.
edit on 29-7-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
If you need Six of them then I'd get a bunch of wireless mice because they are much cheaper at around $5 a piece. Get all identical brands so they will work with the same USB adapter.

I'm drawing a blank on the USB adapter.

The adapter plugs in to my computer and connects to my TV? One adapter for six mice?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Another question:

Will an HD DVD player play regular DVDs, and if so, will there be any loss of quality?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
If you need Six of them then I'd get a bunch of wireless mice because they are much cheaper at around $5 a piece. Get all identical brands so they will work with the same USB adapter.

I'm drawing a blank on the USB adapter.

The adapter plugs in to my computer and connects to my TV? One adapter for six mice?

The wireless mice should come with a little USB stick to plug into your computer. If you get all identical mice they should all work with only one adapter plugged in instead of 6.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Are you saying that when I want to view on my TV, I would plug this in to a USB port on the front of my computer, and then when we're finished, I can unplug it?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join