It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bought a violin!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well after being very overwhelmed with suggestions and then speaking with the local music store I chose a more affordable option for right now. It was less than $100 bucks and it's not that bad. I took it to the music store today and had them check it out. He said for a beginner it's perfect.

I put the strings on and tuned it myself last night. If it wasn't for YouTube I would have been lost! So not like setting up my clarinet. I even found a tuner app until I get an actual tuner but so far the app works great. I also found a YouTube channel that I really like and the guy has a website and offers lessons. For $79 a year I get all access to his site and lessons plus one lesson a month via Skype video! It is pretty much what I was looking for. The local place I found online no longer has violin lessons because they have no teacher now for the violin.

Here is the site. I used his vids last night to set my instrument up.
Violintutorpro

I'm pretty excited and I named my violin Elizabeth. I name all my instruments and cars lol. It's some weird habit you could say.

As for my dog, Rosco, well he is not fond of the violin either! He growls at the clarinet and did the same to the violin. Oh well can't have everyone in the house enjoy it. Lol maybe in time?

Here is what I got.

Thanks to those who gave suggestions in my other thread. ThinkingCap I have some of the ones you suggested saved in my Amazon wish list. I figured if it didn't work out I'd rather be out $75 than $300, plus convincing my husband to let me buy one was easier at this price lol. I also wouldn't mind a used one that just needs some tlc. The clarinet I played all through school wasn't one of the best brands but I played it well and I was still first chair. I had a professional Buffet but my teacher was really weird about me using it. He literally drooled over that thing. Lol

My son likes it too lol he carried it off this morning and was asking for more in sign. I taught him some basic sign so when he wants something now he does the sign for more lol. So I think he likes it!

edit on 7/25/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Stupid iPad is not ATS friendly

edit on 7/25/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Omg adding pics with iPad not fun

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Very cool congrats...I remember you talking about it...so glad you got something!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
I'm pretty excited and I named my violin Elizabeth. I name all my instruments and cars lol. It's some weird habit you could say.

Nooooooo.

Completely sane.

Really.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Nooooooo.

Completely sane.

Really.

Lol thanks. My husband thinks I'm nuts. I call my car Betty. It's a PT Cruiser and the owners manual had Betty Page on the front so I thought it fit. Lol my Mustang is Eleanor or Ellie for short. My clarinet is Buffy because it's a Buffet brand.

Yea I'm so sane lol hehe

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ah great, enjoy!

I used to play years ago and have thought about buying a new one and starting again having mostly forgotten.

Your excitement may have just given me the kick I need to go ahead lol

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Good for you!
I'm into guitar's myself...

Can't say I know much about violin's but for guitars there are a lot of app's out there, cell or tablet, free of pay for...made just for people like us..

Tuner's, metronomes, drum machines... for guitar's anyway they even have app's that can replace a Floor pedal effects board.... Just saying....might want to look into that.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Yea I'm so sane lol hehe

Yup. Totally.

Not like you have a shoe obsession or something.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Good for you!
I'm into guitar's myself...

Can't say I know much about violin's but for guitars there are a lot of app's out there, cell or tablet, free of pay for...made just for people like us..

Tuner's, metronomes, drum machines... for guitar's anyway they even have app's that can replace a Floor pedal effects board.... Just saying....might want to look into that.

I found so many for the violin too. I was amazed! Where were these when I started clarinet?! They are great!

I always thought guitar would be great too but I tried once on my exes and my fingers were too small for it. I guess I needed a kids one lol.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Yea I'm so sane lol hehe

Yup. Totally.

Not like you have a shoe obsession or something.

Who me.. Nah. I don't like shoes

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Hah. My wife's nickname is Shoebacca.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit
Ah great, enjoy!

I used to play years ago and have thought about buying a new one and starting again having mostly forgotten.

Your excitement may have just given me the kick I need to go ahead lol

I was so excited to get back into music I even dropped my clarinet off for a repadding and recorking estimate. It needs it and it really enjoyed playing it. I can play basic nursery rhymes but the higher notes need adjusting with new pads. The cork on the bottom piece is a tad worn. Once I have that done it will be set for years.

I was thinking last night how calming it was to play and how I really enjoyed it. I was up til about 10setting up the violin. I can't wait to do lesson one tonight when my son goes to bed!

You should pick it back up!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
What a wonderful instrument to learn! Congratulations my friend! Eventually, maybe you can make us a vid of your playing. That would be so awesome!!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Hah. My wife's nickname is Shoebacca.

Hahaha I laughed out loud literally. I think I love your wife. Hehe

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Well, that makes one of us.

Just kidding. Lucky for me 5th Ave is 20 minutes from my house.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
What a wonderful instrument to learn! Congratulations my friend! Eventually, maybe you can make us a vid of your playing. That would be so awesome!!

Thanks NS., oh you know I'll post videos here!

I saw one for beginners on how to play the Star Wars Imperial March, that will so be a first to learn and will end up on here for sure. Lol

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Well, that makes one of us.

Just kidding. Lucky for me 5th Ave is 20 minutes from my house.

Oh that's awesome! I'd be in trouble that close to Manolo Blahnik's!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I saw one for beginners on how to play the Star Wars Imperial March, that will so be a first to learn and will end up on here for sure. Lol

When you get that one down pat, record it and play it here. If you weren't married you would have 1,000 proposals.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Versace, Dolce, Louis and Fendi are all there too.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That kid with the glowing eyes has glowing eyes because he is thinking of playing your violin and will trip with it while running from you and it will break into a dozen pieces. That will save you seventy five bucks a year, he is trying to conserve money.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Versace, Dolce, Louis and Fendi are all there too.

All my "sole" mates hehe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join