It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashamed of the garbage people my age listen to

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I've been listening to a lot of Phil Collins and Whitney Houston recently, it's amazing how much talent they had compared to most artists today.

"Houston?" - we have a problem.

And the reason Phil Collins used to make videos was so deaf people could hate him as well.

But, joking apart, your choice of music is just that and it is highly unlikely any two people on the planet have EXACTLY the same choice in music. It is a very subjective thing.

It's a real shame that most people my age (18-24) listen to garbage such as rap. Every day when I'm driving some douche bag has to pull up next to me with rap blasting from his car.

Well rap is the least musical form of music as it relies on rhythm and 'wurdz' in the main. But each to their own.

As for the people who blast 'their' music out for all to enjoy. This is the most important part of your post. The majority of people will not like the music blasting out. However it is one way to attract attention to yourself and teenagers tend to do this more than other generations. They did in the 1980s and long before that as well.

It's a real shame that they are listening to that crap when they could be enjoying true musical masterpieces such as "Sussudio", "Another Day in Paradise", or "Don't Lose my Number".

Although I think Phil Collins best work came from his solo career, I still think Genesis made some great music as well. Hits such as "Land of Confusion" and "In Too Deep" are definitely in my Phil Collins collection.

Well I always thought Sussudio was almost lifted directly from Prince's '1999'. Phil was a great drummer but to me represented the antiseptic, over-produced sound of the 1980s.

And let's not forget about Whitney, a pop icon with a marvellous and powerful voice.

She did have a great voice but not an artist I would choose to listen to.

Even if you posted this to take the proverbial "P" then it did bring up some interesting points. Most kids start off listening to what's current and what their friends are listening to. Music that annoys their parents as well.

However we seemed to have reached a point now where popular music's 50 year legacy now competes with the ever diminishing number of major contemporary artists. So dinosaurs like the Rolling Stones and McCartney still rake in millions on tour alongside 80s and 90s band revivals. Meanwhile airplay is dominated by the 3 goddesses of pop "Gaga, Perry and Cyrus" and the few others that the record corporations need to promote.

We all like our own music. Just don't expect everyone else to.
edit on 26/7/14 by mirageman because: typo

(post by muse7 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Well, punk didn't kill anything off. Punk is dead as yesterday's fish, and the music it was supposed to destroy still survives and delights huge numbers of new fans every day. Your team lost.

Arrant nonsense, Sir. Punk led to New Wave which led to Britpop etc, etc... Punk has far more bearing and influence on today's (good) music than those 70's dinosaurs. As for the Clash - beloved of London media types but just as hypocritical in their own way as Phil Bloody Collins.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

You appear to be implying that you're a great artist/musician - I'd be interested in some evidence to support that claim.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I listen to music from all decades, from the 50's till now. It's great, because I have discovered things before my time that were good, as well as good modern music (might take some searching) As an example, here is John mark Nelson (and right out of high school, in this song!)

John Mark Nelson -Reminisce

John Mark Nelson Moon And Stars

I heart radio, and youtube are some sources for music that doesn't get played on the radio very often, because they suggest similar music/artists. A few modern artists I like:

Nora Jones, Sarah Bareilles, David Gray, (Song: the other side, written when his father died) Vampire weeken (song: step) Avett Brothers, Rufus Wainwright, Iron and Wine, PJ Harvey (can be a bit "out there" , but still some great songs, like "angelene" and the Nightingale) Sam Wilson, Django Django (song: default - catchy beat) Nora jones and Billy Joe Armstrong did a tribute to the everly brothers, pretty good.

I know I'm going to think of some really good modern artists as soon as I click post.
Lately I have been listening to some Americana music - which is country/folkish (strange, because I don't like country music) A lot of what I listen to I have found online at the current (which is also on I heart radio, can be found in Minneapolis stations)

I also like the beatles, Buddy Holly, a lot of 60's 70's stuff. There is so much music out there, old and new

edit on 26-7-2014 by PuddleDrinker because: trying to post video

edit on 26-7-2014 by PuddleDrinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Snip

Ah, gotcha. You never got laid in your life so you're mad and came in here to vent bc the secular nature bothers you. Either way I shouldn't be bullying you really, that's tough to deal with. But understand coming in here and insulting masses of people and claiming you're ashamed with them for listening to the radio is flat out ridiculous
edit on 26/7/14 by JAK because: Quoted T&C violation removed

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I think people need to remember that when hearing songs from the 70's and 80's nowadays, you're really only hearing some of the best from those eras. I grew up with this music and while I did love it, there was a ton of crap out in those days as well. Google "Menudo" and you'll see what I mean.

There is still some great music being made nowadays, which everyone will love in 10 or 20 years lol

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: threatened4silence

I like that the song isn't trying to sell anything. It's a beat that really grooves.

It's trying to sell itself (and failing, at least as far as I am concerned). 'A beat that really grooves' is a matter of opinion. Personally, I think of rhythm as intimately tied in with sex, and I don't like having sex with robots.

You're welcome to enjoy it, but recognize that it isn't everybody's cup of tea.

edit on 26/7/14 by Astyanax because: of bad taste.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Snip

The generations you love where built when over 200 corporations contributed to our media, today we only have 6. If you don't belong to one of those 6, it's a lot harder to get heard, but the overwhelming majority of music made today sounds nothing like the radio.

The radio is a tiny drop of # water in a massive ocean. Stop letting corporations shape your view of reality. I hate this word, but you're views make you a "sheep."

I'm a music lover, I listen to everything, and can honestly say hip hop is one of the best sources for thoughtful music.

Your idea of hip hop doesn't match mine.

edit on 26/7/14 by JAK because: Quoted T&C violation and personal comment removed

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RonPalmer

Punk led to New Wave which led to Britpop etc, etc...

Yes, I covered that in my earlier post.

Punk has far more bearing and influence on today's (good) music than those 70's dinosaurs.

I'd say it was about 75% dinosaur, 25% safety-pins. Britpop was primarily influenced by what Americans call British Invasion pop from the Sixties, far less by punk.

I suppose you could call me a London media type, except that I'm not English, don't live in London and don't work in the media any more. I like the Clash because they had tunes. I liked punk bands when they had tunes too, but that was rarely.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
What do you think you're listening to?

Everyone wants to feel like they're standing on the edge

:-)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Whitney Houston had a voice - it was enough to make me believe she had been gifted by the gods

A lot of people turn their noses up at popular music - and anything that was touched by money

The Medicis and Michelangelo...art and money aren't mutually exclusive - and what's popular is often popular for a reason

I've always wondered about people that don't like things specifically because other people do :-)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

A lot of people turn their noses up at popular music

Yes. I did, too — once. It's a very bad move, though. They miss so much, and their taste gets all warped.

Here, for the open-minded, is a fabulously beautiful piece of songwriting:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Look at old (really old) English, Irish and Scottish folk songs and you'll find plenty with such themes as murder, rape, incest, infanticide, alcoholism and just about every other crime under the sun.

Same goes for the blues, as you say, except that by then drugs had been invented, so we have lots of songs about that too.

And 'paedophilia' has been a staple of pop music just about for ever. Remember this?

The history doesn't matter to me, I would not like any of the songs I find repulsive. I personally think that words affect us deeply and music even more deeply and what we choose to put in our brains from music to Tv to spoken language is what we become.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I once turned my nose up at hip hop - but was then schooled by someone that knows better :-)

Now - I love so much of it

Sometimes maybe we're not ready to hear some things until later - our ears aren't ready

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

and what's popular is often popular for a reason

I guess you can say there is a reason, but the reason isn't always talent. Britney Spears is a horrible singer, but she's done massive numbers thanks to her marketing team, and their template for tapping into young minds.

Iggy azeala is another great example. She makes some of the most horrid hip hop I've ever heard, It's painfully phoney, but she has 100 million views on youtube, while a more genuinely talented women like Narubi Selah has a few thousands.

Some timEs Talent has 20,000 views

Bad music with Good marketing has 100,000,000 views

edit on 07pm07pm312014-07-26T19:30:23-05:0007America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: RonPalmer

You appear to be implying that you're a great artist/musician - I'd be interested in some evidence to support that claim.

If you're being sincere, rather than sarcastic (which I hope) have patience and I can/will provide recordings soon. I'm currently half of a 2-man rock recording project, we're in the process of pre-production and recording, tracking and mixes should be done by the end of August.

In hindsight, the "good artists borrow, great artists steal" (which has been attributed to either TS Eliot or Picasso... maybe one of 'em stole it
) quote did come across as quite cocky. My apologies. There's a razor thin line between confidence and arrogance, and, sometimes I end up on the wrong side.

My intentions with that line, were to illustrate the thought that in the world of creativity, there's no such thing as "an original idea," only reinterpretation and expression.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
What do you think you're listening to?

Everyone wants to feel like they're standing on the edge

:-)

I didn't like any of those songs.
edit on 27-7-2014 by threatened4silence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

The point, though, is that there is nothing new about the subject-matter of hip-hop.

You could argue that the attitude to the subject-matter has changed. But then, what genre of music glorifies violence more than country-and-western does?

Country songs have been promoting violence just about for ever.

And just in case anyone thinks I'm beating on the hat acts unfairly, remember this?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

maybe one of 'em stole it

They both did — from Oscar Wilde, I believe, though some attribute it to Beethoven.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join