It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashamed of the garbage people my age listen to

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Seems to be a thought passed down through the ages.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

OMG the 2nd video, WTF was that? Please pass the brain bleach.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: threatened4silence

I didn't like any of those songs.

Well of course not - they are all clearly industry insiders :-)

(Hoping you would like them wasn't why I posted them)

You said earlier:

Admit for one second that the idea of SEARCHING for music never even crossed the mind of most of you, let alone the sheepish majority.
I'm going to submit one song that I think is perfect.
And illustrates the hatred the underground has for this industry of agenda and advantageousness.

You only listen to underground music? Music that you have to go searching for? Just like all your underground, industry hating friends?

Way to rebel :-)

edit on 7/27/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I guess you can say there is a reason, but the reason isn't always talent.

There's no accounting for taste I guess :-)

I wanted to hate this song

But I just can't

:-)
edit on 7/27/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: language

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I have a Google Play play list that consists of songs that will never get old..All Along the Watchtower( Hendrix, Bear McCreary and Lisa Gerrard versions), House of the Rising Sun, various Pink Floyd songs (mainly Animals) , Billy Joel, lots of other 60/70 classic rock stuff.. Every so often Ill put that on...

I have another playlist that is basically John Hughes movie songs and similar bands from the 80s/90s..Throw in The Sundays, The Cure and other bands then you have this great 120 minutes feel to that.

I'm also a huge fan of movie scores so obviously John Williams, James Newton Howard (The Village, Signs, The Happening, I am Legend), Christopher Young and others.

My normal musical tastes probably wouldnt appeal to many people here and that is okay..The beauty of music is everyone can find what appeals to them... Right now I am listening to a funeral doom band called Mournful Congregation or more specifically a song by them called The Catechism of Depression which is a solid 20 mins of slow drawn out doom. The typical playlist for me is Opeth, Emperor / Ihsahn, , Dead Can Dance/Brendan Perry/Lisa Gerrard, Katatonia , Chelsea Wolfe, Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride , Samhain, Swallow the Sun, Type O Negative , Lycia, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Sisters of Mercy/Mission UK, Bauhaus/Peter Murphy, Faith and the Muse, Shadow Project, Slayer, Iron Maiden and when i want to lol I'll watch an Immortal video because all people, even non-black metal fans ,need to see a Abbath acting like an idiot in a video to know what funny is.

So...music...everyone likes things different and not everyone is going to like what you like..but that is okay because as long as you can put on a pair of headphones and have a song or video take you some place then it is worth it.

Chelsea Wolfe : Feral

Swallow the Sun: Cathedral Walls

Type O Negative: September Sun

This is a such a great cover to me..Brendan Perry (Dead Can Dance) with Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins) covering the Tim Buckley: Song To The Siren

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

The point, though, is that there is nothing new about the subject-matter of hip-hop.

What I see is that the subject matter is put in blatant terms now that any kid can understand whereas used to, it was on mainstream radio at least, masked. When I was young the songs that seemed innocent and cute sometimes had a whole lot of other meaning but you would not be able to pick that up as a child.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Nearly every innovation in music has been reviled as garbage until people's ears got used to it. The rioted and almost burned the opera house down for this.

I first got to know that piece because Yes used it as their warmer music at concerts.

(Yes didn't do gigs, they did concerts.)

Another of my guilty pleasures, Yes. Not so much since my twenties.

One day (maybe when I'm senile and drooling) I'll learn to love hip-hop.

Meanwhile, my prejudices were turned round a few years ago (in spite of the bum note at 00:40) by this:

Which led me to appreciate (no, I mean it, after all I'm a bloke and all) this:

(How ’mi doin' threatened4silence? If you truly love music for life, one day you will be where I am. You don't believe me now, but you will, you will.)

(This) (post) is full of (brackets).

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

When I was a kid in nursery schoole we chanted this in the playground:

Inky, pinky, Polly,
Father had a dolly.
Dolly died.
Father cried.
Inky, pinky, Polly.

How masked is that, really? Six-year-olds won't understand it, but for you and me it's pretty blatant.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Music...I volunteer at a "thrift" shop sometimes I see things that just boggle the mind. Example this one day,I was wearing a Nirvana T-Shirt with the 3 one it black and white sorta a top down shot. I had it as a poster but found the shirt years later. Just love the shot. Anyways I was taking in some donations,This person, I'd say maybe 15, came up to me. Yes they were wearing a Nirvana shirt as well the ol smiley crossed out eyes
"wow man you like Nirvana?"
"Yes I do."
"they're a great brand"
maybe miss-spoke? "You have a favorite cd?"
"for music I listen to hiphop, and rap"
"I meant of Nirvana, you like them right?"
"It's not like it's a real band, it's a brand of clothing. God get real old man"
I almost cried.

At the resource center ( volunteer to help, a place where people can go and use the computers for homework to job searching what ever they want just as long as they don't hog it ) I'm listening to the kids chat while I'm at the front desk, and it's amazing what some of the kids said. Example Did you know David Bowie ripped off The Man Who Sold the World song? Nirvana did it first. Their mom has the original cd.

The Ozzy guy on Osbourne's show the opening song was the original version, and Ozzy changed his style to try and keep up with the rest of the music industry. ( I guess Ozzy was Pat Boone? ) For those that don't know. Pat Boone Did a "Metal album" and covered crazy train.

I hear they like rap and hip hop. Yet no Idea ho RunDMC is or Beasty Boys.

King Diamond is an Insane Clown Possie copy cat.

I shake my head they will learn.

As for the music of today - I really don't think I heard anything that I said wow I have to go buy this.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well, I'm a huge music fan, I'll listen to anything from classical > jazz > "extreme" metal > pop > electronica >whatever.

I think it's a natural reaction as you get older to be a bit cynical and dismissive of new things, especially "trends". There's always good new music coming out in many genres, it seems though that once the record industry marketing machine gets behind it - stuff tends to lose it's "specialness".

Here's a good opportunity to whore some of my own stuff - bunch of guys in our 30s, like it or not

soundcloud.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

When I was a kid in nursery schoole we chanted this in the playground:

Inky, pinky, Polly,
Father had a dolly.
Dolly died.
Father cried.
Inky, pinky, Polly.

How masked is that, really? Six-year-olds won't understand it, but for you and me it's pretty blatant.

Humm I don't get it...really I don't? and I have never heard that before which is strange. Nursery school wow like age 1-4?

I remember this one Hinky Dinky Parley Voo but again the meaning was hidden

hinkydinky.net...

One surviving, post-war version of “Hinky Dinky Parley Voo,” by the Sweet Violet Boys, only hints at the profanity of the soldiers’ song. The songwriting credit here belongs to “Trebor Rellim”…Robert Miller, spelled backwards.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I guess you can say there is a reason, but the reason isn't always talent.

There's no accounting for taste I guess :-)

I wanted to hate this song

But I just can't

Somethings aren't a matter of taste though. Are you willing to dispute the idea that Britney requires a massive amount of studio magic? A huge % of her numbers come from kids who can be tugged around on a leash.

In the case of hip hop I don't hate what's popular, I still listen to big evil guys like Jay-z, I just hate that they removed all balance and diversity. I believe it's intentional.

In the early days of hip hop, thought provoking records could be heard on the radio, and they did enough numbers for those artists to universally be considered legends.

The change to this repetitious ignorance happened when corporations took over hip hop. It's not a coincidence.

Historically the music of the ghetto has always been empowering, and in the early days of hip hop that stayed consistent. Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, and James Brown passed the torch to Public Enemy, KRS ONE, and a whole generation of empowering emcees. In the early days the most gangster rappers still made songs that warned us. Ice Cube was VERY political when he wasn't killing people.

Some of these underground artists actually have massive followings. Some of their videos also have over million views, and they do major tours, but the radio doesn't include them in their daily rotations. I think there is a deeper reason for that.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Nursery school wow like age 1-4?

Five, I think. We used it to count kids out in playground games.

I don't get it.

'Father had a mistress. The mistress died. Ho hum (and maybe serves Father right).' It's an Oedipal rhyme about adultery.

Mademoiselle d'Armentières, the song you referred to, was a First World War soldiers' favourite, not really a nursery rhyme.

We used to sing a dirty version in school (it was the kind of school where dirty First World War songs got passed down the generations). It was quite filthy, featuring everything from coprophilia to incest. Wikipedia says the original song, which is in French, dates back to the Franco-Prussian war of 1870.

Here are a few other dark and dirty nursery rhymes. Some of them have fallen out of popularity today, but they were still current when I was a small boy caught in a colonial time-warp fifty years ago.

Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home

Your house is on fire and your children are gone,

All except one, and that's little Anne

For she has crept under the frying pan.

This is a taunt aimed at English Roman Catholics by Protestants during the Reformation, after Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries, the burning of Sir Thomas More, etc. 'Ladybird' is the Virgin Mary. Not sure who 'little Anne' is; maybe some contemporary Catholic lady.

You know 'Oranges and Lemons', I'm sure. Remember how it ends?

Here comes a candle to light you to bed

And here comes a chopper

To chop off your head.
Chop, chop, chop, chop, chop!

More gruesome historical commentary, probably a comment on the tendency of English aristocrats before the Glorious Revolution to keep losing their heads at the Tower of London.

What about this?

Lucy Locket lost her pocket;

Kitty Fisher found it.

Not a penny was there in it,

Only ribbon around it.

I hope you don't want an explanation for that one. It has a Regency flavour to my ears, but it could be from just about any era.

and finally, to bring us back on topic in a roundabout way,

Peter, Peter, pumpkin-eater,
Had a wife and couldn't keep her;
He put her in a pumpkin shell,
And there he kept her very well.

has the same lyrical theme as this:

edit on 28/7/14 by Astyanax because: huh?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm

OMG the 2nd video, WTF was that? Please pass the brain bleach.

That's what I'm saying! I don't get it. No knowledgeable hip hop head will agree that she's the most talented emcee, but they push her like she is.

I'd love to see them push Akura Naru more

Boog Brown is worthy of some listens

Jean Grae is much better, but they won't give her the same treatment.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Somethings aren't a matter of taste though. Are you willing to dispute the idea that Britney requires a massive amount of studio magic? A huge % of her numbers come from kids who can be tugged around on a leash.

It isn't a matter of me being able to dispute what you just said. And Britney never hooked me - not even once. Other pop stars have. Can I say they have more talent because I like them?

And kids - kids like stuff - and the stuff that comes with stuff :-) They all grow up and move on to something else...

I think what's interesting about this is people (all of us - including me) have this idea that we know what's good. The part I think is funny is that sometimes, in order for us to be able demonstrate that we know what's good - we resort to mocking what somewhat else likes to prove our point. Music - like all art - is personal

"Jesus, that ear. He should donate it to The Smithsonian."

Bob Dylan - on Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. First of all - Bob Dylan listened to the Beach Boys

That line made me listen to them differently. Does Bob Dylan know better than I do? Some people here would probably say old Bob wasn't really that good anyhow - that he was a hugely disappointing commercial sellout

I hate the Eagles - am I wrong? Is Bach better than your favorite hip hop artist? Is Tony Bennett? It's a ridiculous argument

Some of these underground artists actually have massive followings. Some of their videos also have over million views, and they do major tours, but the radio doesn't include them in their daily rotations. I think there is a deeper reason for that.

I know they do - I've actually come to appreciate many of them - and love some of them. Deeper reason?

Are they popular because they're popular? Or because they're better? Take away the money and there's still the whole magic dust of popularity thing to factor in - this idea that there's something special about not being part of the musical money machine

Being underground is a badge of honor for these artists - and I honestly get that. If they were getting played - and the real attention they deserve - the whole thing falls apart. Allure is sometimes about illusion. Outsiders and rebellion sell. Even if it's not about money - it's about something

Turns out though - they are getting the attention they deserve - just in a different venue. Radio is about making money - true. If you like what they're selling - does that mean you're stupid?

Can we honestly say that because something is commercial it's bad and because it's underground - it's automatically good? Is that a hard and fast rule?

I think there is a deeper reason for all of it. And none of this is to say that some people aren't more talented than others - obviously - well, just obviously...

I love art :-)

edit on 7/28/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/28/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Are they popular because they're popular? Or because they're better? Take away the money and there's still the whole magic dust of popularity thing to factor in - this idea that there's something special about not being part of the musical money machine

Being underground is a badge of honor for these artists - and I honestly get that. If they were getting played - and the real attention they deserve - the whole thing falls apart. Allure is sometimes about illusion. Outsiders and rebellion sell. Even if it's not about money - it's about something

Turns out though - they are getting the attention they deserve - just in a different venue. Radio is about making money - true. If you like what they're selling - does that mean you're stupid?

Can we honestly say that because something is commercial it's bad and because it's underground - it's automatically good? Is that a hard and fast rule?

I think there is a deeper reason for all of it. And none of this is to say that some people aren't more talented than others - obviously - well, just obviously...

I love art :-)

I've never said something i better cause it's underground. That's your preconceived notion. My point is the exact opposite, I'd LOVE to hear more of the artists on the radio. None of their allure is ruined by being popular. I'm not a hipster, I don't believe in scoring cool points for obscurity.

I don't point out underground rappers to say underground is better, I do it to ask where the diversity went. I grew up in a era where several different sounds had representation. I believe there is a consorted effort to block out that diversity, and it makes everyone believe Hip Hop is that one negative point of view on repeat, when that's actually the minority.

Just because I point out the undeniable fact that less talented people have been able to sell a lot of albums with studio magic and sex appeal, doesn't mean I hate all popular artists. I don't need to be a musical genius to realize when someone can't hold a note without studio magic.

When's the last time we had a big weird looking guy like Barry White singing love songs? Donnie Hathaway wouldn't have the right look either, but I've never meet anyone who denies his vocal talents.

Compare this singing

To this singing. Can you even make out what's being said at :34?

edit on 08pm10pm312014-08-03T22:06:37-05:0010America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

edit on 08pm10pm312014-08-03T22:08:59-05:0010America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
allow me to add this to my argument

The Music Industry Is Literally Brainwashing You to Like Bad Pop Songs — Here's How
edit on 08am09am312014-08-05T09:44:09-05:0009America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I grew up in a era where several different sounds had representation.

We both now live during a time when there's a glut of available music - many, many different sounds. It's bizarre to me that anyone can rise to the top or make it - ever

Just because I point out the undeniable fact that less talented people have been able to sell a lot of albums with studio magic and sex appeal, doesn't mean I hate all popular artists. I don't need to be a musical genius to realize when someone can't hold a note without studio magic.

I know - all that :-)

You think I'm arguing - but I'm not

Up above - when I said I love art - I meant that. I love all of it - and I love these sorts of discussions...what's better than what - what sucks and how come. Arguments that go everywhere and nowhere. Taste is philosophical - talent is obvious. Not everyone can see it. Who sees it? We do. We always do

About your last post - brainwashing. Have you been brainwashed?

I used to not like the Beatles. I heard them everywhere - their songs were so common it made my skin crawl. It was a few years and some distance that allowed to me to really hear them for the first time, and I also specifically remember liking them for the first time. I went on to realize - after a while - that they were magic

Shouldn't I have been brainwashed into loving them from the beginning? Was everyone that loved them from the beginning only brainwashed? They kinda did get a lot of play...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

It seems to me that you didn't read the article. The article explains exactly why you would like them after not hearing them for a while. Your statement supports the articles claim.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I know what you mean. I'm not afraid to admit I like a few Phil Collins songs

Even as a teen, I listened to bands like Led Zeppelin, The Police, Depeche Mode, U2, and Billy Idol, but I aso like what was "cool" at the time like Paramore and Avril Lavigne

But to this day, all those old bands stuck with me, but the newer bands didn't. I grew out of it and appreciated (even more) the old stuff.

There are some good new bands out there...you just gotta look harder.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join