It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman optimistic Obama will grant immigrants legal status

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword may have been right or was that some sort of cryptic prophecy about our current POTUS?

www.latimes.com...

In a fiery speech at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Saturday, U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) said he was confident after meeting with President Obama last week that the president will move forward in the coming months with an executive order that would grant legal status to millions of immigrants in the country illegally, possibly including the parents of American-born children.

We sat down with the president... and we said to him, 'Mr. President, we want you to be as generous and broad and wise as the Republicans have been small and mean-spirited.'
- U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.)
Gutierrez, speaking on the first day of the annual conference of the National Council of La Raza, also took aim at Republicans for failing to pass immigration reform legislation and warned that there would be a political price to pay. He chastised the harsh rhetoric in conservative corners against a surge of tens of thousands of Central American youths who illegally crossed the Southwestern border in recent months fleeing violence in their home countries.

Gotta love this part, the congressman of Illinois wants to punish law abiding Americans for using their first amendment rights.

Switching between English and Spanish, Gutierrez also warned Republicans about the consequences of the often harsh rhetoric over the recent influx of immigrant children. He invoked the experience of California, which became a solidly Democratic state after former Republican Gov. Pete Wilson successfully pushed for Proposition 187, a 1994 voter-approved ballot measure that would have denied health and education benefits to those here illegally but was later overturned by the federal courts. Wilson's move has been cited as a major reason for a surge in the number of Latinos becoming reliably Democratic voters.

"We need to raise our voices, make ourselves citizens, sign up to vote and punish those who speak ill and criminalize children who come to our border," Gutierrez said in Spanish to rousing cheers.

Well we had a good run America, but unfortunately once this happens it can not be undone without bloodshed. America will no longer be a constitutional republic.
edit on Sun Jul 20 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: former title: Obama to grant legal status to illegals through executive order .......used title from source.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I could be wrong, but aren't executive orders only good during the current administration?

What would stop the next President (a Republican if Obama did this) from just saying " nope, that one is void"?

My mind always said that's one of the reasons they push so hard for "reform" so that the laws are actually changed rather than just an Imperial decree.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I think Mr Obama is trying to set himself up as a dictator. He could probably care less what the next President will do as the damage will already be done.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
If you think you have enough, you are under supplied.

BUY MORE AMMO!!!

It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Better hurry, the democrats are going to need those millions of votes.

Seriously, if this is the worst this president could do consider this good news.

Hey, if his executive order fails, he could always grant a full pardon to all illegals in the USA without it.

Meanwhile... In the rest of the world today....

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Even if they expired, if only takes a one time thing for millions of individuals to become legal US citizens. I Don't think citizenship expires yet.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: txinfidel

Misleading titles are misleading.
This is just more speculation on what might happen.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Executive orders can be changed by the next president (for example, LBJ voiding JFK's executive order taking the money printing away from the Federal Reserve and giving it back to the government), but most presidents leave them as is.

The whole idea of amnesty is sickening to me. I believe it started with Reagan, so it's not always a party thing, but a letting people get away with breaking the law if it helps corporate America make more money kind of thing.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well thats you're right to call me out. If it never happens I will acknowledge that you were correct.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
No where in that article does it say for a fact that this is going to happen. Just that the one man is optimistic that something will happen.
But your title is much more catchy and fun to stomp and yell about.
How about you make your threas title more along the title of the article and include the word might

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Obama is very predictable, I think that would be a mistake. Nope can't do it.

Obama to use executive order to grant legal status to illegals.

You heard it here first!

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

America, a nation of immigrants who hate the newest immigrants.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

You know what I hate. I hate the fact that women are raped and beheaded on the their way to the united states. Children are murdered and peddle drugs across our border.

And the amnesty crew acts as if they are acting out of compassion..

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Then he must be planning the demise of the Democratic Party. The uproar by the general public would be earthshaking. Just because he wants it, doesn't mean all democrats do. People are realizing we can't afford to support millions of more people on Federal handouts. While continuing to ignore the plight of our own Vets and poor people here. I hear too many people now saying...what about our own homeless and poor. If our tax dollars are going to support people, it must be our own first.

Des

edit on 20-7-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Well theres a few things behind it. Some people think it's not right that they refuse to follow the first rule of being an American. Some people are pissed that many refuse to assimilate. But mainly it's paying your dues, you get your ass kicked for awhile then people accept you. Anyone who comes works hard and pays taxes I call a brother.
edit on 20-7-2014 by Fargoth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
I could be wrong, but aren't executive orders only good during the current administration?

What would stop the next President (a Republican if Obama did this) from just saying " nope, that one is void"?

My mind always said that's one of the reasons they push so hard for "reform" so that the laws are actually changed rather than just an Imperial decree.

Yes somebody else could 'cancel" an order like this.

But the intended damage already done would be irreversible.

Keep in mind that Gutierrez is a Chicago crony like Obama.

Both are extreme radicals and can't be trusted.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I hate the fact that women are raped and beheaded on the their way to the united states.

So you hate that the violence that they say they are escaping actually happens to them, but yet you want them all to be sent right back to it....
Where is the compassion in that?!?!

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

It's Not like that. These people are NOT Legal Immigrants.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

Neither were the founding fathers that invaded this country and claimed it as theirs.
You think the boat loads of people that came thru ellis island would be able to make it through the process that is here today? Or is it possible that even then we had people coming through and being 'undocumented' and yet america is still standing?

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Either follow it or take it down IMO.
Not saying that every single person that comes falls into this, but if we are not willing to get past the illegal, illegal by man made laws and reasons, part then it doesn't matter.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnPhoenix

originally posted by: Cuervo

It's Not like that. These people are NOT Legal Immigrants.

You are correct...some of them are these *kids*. Last night I heard on the news, 2 rival *kid* gangs are fighting so bad in the border holding facilities, Border Patrol Agents are having to separate them into different facilities. But, they can't send them back because they all claim they are 17 years old, and ICE said they must be put on a bus, or plane, and sent to one of our cities. Agents also said they are fighting over the phone banks installed for illegals to try to call family in America. They are using the phones to set up drug deals, and trying to get guns. But, ICE won't do anything about it...they are *poor kids*...

Say HI to our New Americans....I'm sure they'll be an asset to our Country...

Des...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join