It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best thread, Best contributions by a member awards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if ATS staff have ever considered any form of contest (for a lack of a better word) where we as a community could vote for Best thread in a forum section, Best/Most significant contributions by a forum member? Or something along those lines. Lately I have been spending a lot of time in a certain section of the forums where regular posters contribute amazing quantities and quality of information. This got me thinking how I would love to be able to recognize these posters in some form by voting for best thread, best poster. I would like to see a vote considered either quarterly or bi-annually.

So it would be best thread for each section:

1. Breaking News
2. Conspiracy Theory
3. Political
4. Current Events
5. Mysterious Subjects
Etc. for all 11 sections

Then for each section or maybe just over all for all sections we could vote for the member that contributes the most/best posts. I am not certain if each section has enough regular contributors to warrant this, but I don't think that just voting for 1 person to represent the whole forum would be the way to go. Maybe a way to do it would be a top 5 or top 10 posters to represent the whole forum.

So what does everyone think? Anyone have any ideas they could share that would make this better or improve it? For an award I would suggest a special title or some other way to signify their status until a new vote takes place. I would just really like to be able to reward the posters who's ideas and contributions I enjoy so much.

So lets hear it.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
That's not a good idea, I'll never receive an award. Maybe if there was an award for the worst thread I could have a chance.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Haha, I think you are being a little hard on yourself, you aren't THAT bad of a poster

In all seriousness though, what do you think of the idea?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

We already have a star and flag system. There are also applause's by the mods. The short story section already has something like that, but I do not think it would work well in news. It is mostly the early bird that gets the worm.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes I agree it wouldn't necessarily work in every section. I think for most sections though it would work just fine. While stars and flags are great, I don't think they really work that well at showing the community as a whole how much we appreciate a certain thread or poster, and obviously we can't control who gets Applause, and what exactly are the 500 points that are awarded good for? Not to mention that some people have millions of stars due to a glitch, and let's be honest none of that really means anything to most people anyway. We can't spend any of those points or stars or flags. That's why I think it would be cool to signify our appreciation through a special title or some other indicator.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I also follow a hockey forum online, and every year they do a best thread of the year award, where poster vote for head to head threads, not on subject but on creativity, info used, how easy is it to follow such and such.

Might be difficult on ats with so many different subjects do.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Respectfully. Don't encourage them ! It is bad enough with the moronic " Stars" for posts.

It will just boost the egos of the vain and self important.

It is only the Internet, i.e. entertainment, ( And, granted, a little education amongst the dross.) and not to be taken seriously.

Nothing personal,by the way.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I do post the occasional thread but my basic modus operandi is to be short and to the point and to supplement information and knowledge on threads to support the op

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

That wouldn't necessarily preclude you from being a good contributor and gaining votes.

a reply to: MrJohnSmith

No offense taken, I am not that thin skinned. I understand where you are coming from, and your fear of this adding to the ego's and vanity of some posters but in reality if anyone is seriously getting vain about their star and flag count....I am not sure what to say. This is meant to be something fun and again, a way for people to show support to the people they enjoy talking with on the forums. Either way I certainly don't expect everyone to think this is a good idea. However I will admit I thought at least a few people would.

top topics

join