It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Strain (FX Channel)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The Strain is an upcoming vampire horror–drama television series that is scheduled to premiere FX on July 13, 2014.[1] It was created by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, based on their novel trilogy of the same name. Del Toro and Hogan wrote the pilot episode, "Night Zero", which del Toro directed.

en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)
www.fxnetworks.com...

Having read the trilogy, I can honestly say that this is one show I have had marked on my calendar. It debuts tonight. 10 Eastern? Central? Not sure, but I will have the tv on and I'll be waiting.

The book series was one of the best I've read in a while. A dark, apocalyptic vampire tale that starts in New York. This does not have brooding tweens who fight love and angst while showing good grooming.

If the television series is as good as the book series, this will be gritty, violent, dark, and real nasty.

Hope you fans of good dark fiction take the time to watch it.

beez

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Well, crap!

It's going to conflict with either Last Ship or Falling Skies. Why is it that when there is actually stuff on TV I want to watch, it never fails that it winds up conflicting somehow? There are about three or four nights when there is nothing on I care about ... but no, everything I want to watch MUST be on Sunday.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I know.

We have;
The Strain
The Last Ship
Trueblood
The Leftovers

All on about the same time.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Thank you for the heads up, Beez. I am going to try this show out based on your recommendation of the books.

My wife loves vampire stuff and maybe we can both enjoy it minus the teen angst.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The books were great!

www.amazon.com...=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the%20strain&sprefix=The+Strain%2Caps%2C573

A link to Amazon above.

Since Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan wrote the pilot episode and are close to the production, I hope that the show captures the atmosphere that the books created.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I am a fan of the big screen. I don't watch much television. Commercial breaks drive me nuts. I will give this one a chance since Del Toro is involved. I'll get a friend to dvr it so I can skip the tampon and m&m's ads.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I got sick of that same problem with having to pick and choose what shows to watch, so I broke down and got the Directv Genie package. So I'm currently recording:
- Falling Skies
- The Last Ship
- Ray Donovan
- True Blood
- The Strain
- The Leftovers

I haven't watched The Strain yet. I'm going to watch it next. I hope it's good.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: allenidaho

You won't be disappointed.

So far, it has followed the book(s) very well.

An awesome start!

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The series is quite good. Very movie quality-like. Not bad since it is filmed in Toronto, Ontario Canada. This show could make me forget about "The Walking Dead". It's great to see Sean Astin back on television. I love the use of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" in the autopsy/death scene. How about the timing of this show with the mystery of MAL 370 with the start of the series. Hmmmmmmmm! Just something to think about.
edit on 14-7-2014 by RossWellOldMexico because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Its been a while since I've read the first two books (I haven't read the third yet), but I thought they did job adapting it to TV. If they can keep it up, I'll definitely continue watching.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well, some of those are usually available on demand after, so don't have to take up your recording slots.

I have also read the books, so really looking forward to the show. Have it recorded, but just watched True Blood last night, so catching up.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is pretty good so far. Seems like harder to root for the main guy in the show though...than the book. He's just kind of an a-hole....

Anyhow, so far I think they are doing it justice.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I read the first two books. I got the third book in my reading list but have not got to it yet. I saw the first episode and I thought it was good. Even my girlfriend who is not into horror stuff is into it. So that is always a plus.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I saw previews for this. I love horror stuff to. It looks cool and all but it's pretty hard for me to get into TV shows.

The only TV shows I actually really like are Game of Thrones, and Walking Dead. (I did love Breaking Bad, but that show's already completed.) I do watch Falling Skies, but that's so awful compared to the other shows I mentioned and it's basically a time gap filler until Walking Dead starts again in October.

Would yall suggest this TV show, even though my bar is set on Game of Thrones and Walking Dead levels?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

I would recommend it.

This isn't a bland tv show. They are (so far) staying true to the book(s) and haven't been skimping on the language, nudity and violence.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

I'd recommend it too. So far, the first two episodes have been pretty good. I've never read the books so I have no idea what to expect from it in the future, but it is entertaining thus far.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well, good news on the recommendations.

I've started watching the first episode, but I've been drinking competitively so I may only make it halfway through this episode. Im prepared to bumble through the first 2 episodes for the introduction to the story/characters, etc.... About 20 minutes in and Im interested so far.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

"The Strain" is also a 'Dark Horse" Comic book.

What can I say... I get all geaked out on those more impendent nonmainstream comic's.

So far after watching the first 3 eps, it's not bad... Better than the last ship for pure spookiness

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

My friend told me about the books today. I didn't even know about them. I like the show. I saw a preview on youtube the other day so I guess it's coming back on. I can't wait.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I haven't read the books, but the show is awesome. Just watched the entire first season on Hulu, both my husband and I loved it. Lately neither one of has been too interested in television, but this show is something different.

It is refreshing to see a story about vampires where they are evil. Nothing about it is romanticized, pure evil, pure fun. We finished the season about a week ago and have been waiting patiently for the new season to arrive.

The cast is great too, Rat Man or I think his name is Vasilly...is one interesting dude. It is hard to believe that 8230385 (did I remember that correctly?) is Argus Filch on Harry Potter. He is great in this role. A show I highly recommend for any horror fan and anyone who likes the thought of vampires returning to what they were always mean to be, evil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join