It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why grammar and spelling matter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnochRoot

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Diderot
Your point is taking, were all going to try harderest.

Don't ewe mean "you're".
Shorely ewe should of got that write.

Umm no dude. In that case "your" was correct. Oh goodness. It showed possession. You're is a contraction of you are . However you missed out on correcting "your point is taking" which should have been "your point is taken"

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
You wrote should of instead of should have. LOL. I get that you're being facetious but I believe that one just got away from you.
reply to: EnochRoot

No it didn't.
I started a thread about exactly that a few weeks ago.
It's in the rant forum.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
In fact, you were there too.
edit on 10-7-2014 by EnochRoot because: addition

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I could not agree more.

The topics we discuss here on ATS, are often of a particularly deep and murky nature. Some of the topics here are also highly technical in nature, revolving around fine details, a misunderstanding of which can render one quite utterly befuddled, when it comes to drawing conclusions from any data or discussion on the matter.

Therefore, clarity of communication is vital. Without it, we would find it impossible to discuss subjects of any complexity what so ever.

I would posit, that without effective and clear communication, we might as well all join facebook, and keep up with the adventures of some celebrity halfwit, because nothing of import can be discussed effectively using poor grammar and spelling!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
My point is not about my expectations about how ATS'ers post. My point is simply that bad grammar is rarely more productive than good grammar. Also, I have a great respect for ESL posters. I actually envy them because they are more talented than I am. I am fluent in about 1.005 languages. Also I suspect that almost all ESL posters make a serious effort
to be well understood. Kapish?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Meh .. english makes my head hurt ..
limited language that often obfuscates and confuses ..

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I was in it.
Ok my mistake then.
Carry on. I'll be in the corner wearing that pointy hat and sucking my thumb. a reply to: EnochRoot

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Could not agree more, especially with the focus part. It's extremely frustrating when you're faced with a wall of text riddled with errors or even a constructive one which captures your attention up until the oh so obvious mistake and from that point onwards it's stuck in the back of your mind!

We all make mistakes however, so it's perfectly acceptable to have made G&S mistakes. It's when you're now aware of your mistake but then don't choose to act and do something about it that IMO it becomes frustrating. Not to mention you can quite easily lose the point you're trying to make by missing silly changes such as "your" and "you're".

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnochRoot

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Your point is taking, were all going to try harderest.

Don't ewe mean "you're".
Shorely ewe should of got that write.

Umm no dude. In that case "your" was correct. Oh goodness. It showed possession. You're is a contraction of you are . However you missed out on correcting "your point is taking" which should have been "your point is taken"

Now you're just winding me up aren't you?

edit on 10-7-2014 by EnochRoot because: addition

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Limited? Only by experience I think. a reply to: Expat888

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Ah ha good grammar and a pretty extensive vocabulary as well. You've got to be English. a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
I also purposefully misspelled 'were'.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
What happens if I wind you up? Do you walk funny and crash into walls? a reply to: EnochRoot

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Oops. a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
Yes, but less so than in my drinking days...
They pretty much resembled a big game of pinball.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Dear TB, I appreciate your succinct, precise deliberation. I was a little distracted, though, because I was almost hoping to stumble upon a grammatical error or two. Damn the Queen's English! I shall revisit your post, and given luck, I will uncover a flaw in grammar, spelling, syntax, context, or whatever. p.s. I would like to get myself one of your never-ending glasses of stout!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Limited? Only by experience I think. a reply to: Expat888

Theres ideas .. thoughts . concepts and things in languages like mandarin or my native japanese that dont exist in english as there is no english words for them.

Also most linguists will tell you the hardest language to learn is english.

rusty on english these days .. last time spoke it was a good ten years ago read/write it better at present ..

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Nope, no new copyright for you it seems. It is taken.
www.google.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: obl1v1on
Great post. Also regarding your point about "your" and "you're", it's actually a bit more complicated, because there is also "yer", which everyone knows is a letter in the Cyrillic alphabet.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak
Curses!
How about grammaticalize, or grammatize, or grammacate, or gramaticicize, or....
I'll get back to ya.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888
I think that you are right about English being the hardest language to learn. The only rule in English without exceptions is that there is a bunch of exceptions. There is a great episode of "I Love Lucy" where Ricky Ricardo is reading a story to Little Ricky. Ricky of course is a native Cuban, and he stumbles over words like though, through, bough, rough, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join