It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These words are Not interchangeable

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This has been getting to me for a long time.

The words OF & HAVE are not interchangeable people!!!

I understand the "of " thing. It's from the spoken word. The abbreviation of "have". I get it. I just can't stand it.
I've mostly just let it go, with the occasional mild rant to friends. Today, however, I came across this little gem:
"kindve", which was supposed to mean "kind of" as far as I can tell.

Seriously?
You might have a case if English isn't your primary language, but probably not.

By the way, I'm painfully aware that I don't do English in a grammatically correct way myself, but this is too much.
(I do OF a screenshot, but can't insert it for whatever reason.
Do you see what I did there?)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yeah, kindve is not a word. The proper word is kinda.

I kinda like this thread, a place to discuss what is socially acceptable. I guess this would be area specific.
edit on 1-6-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Hahaha.... true, true.

When I still had facebook I saw a post concerning "hammy downs". Hand me downs.

How the f&#k does one get hammy out of hand me? Needless to say, it irked me, but it also made me laugh my ass off! And now I always say hammy downs in mind, and it has brought me many smiles :-)

What's even better is this was in a community page, for buying and selling used clothes, hand me downs, and I have no idea who the chick was, but she is known as the hammy downs lady among a lot of the page's users.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Maybe its a variation of voice recognition software? Kinda like Kripki wanting Siri (the I phone voice) to find a "westawant". (The Big Bang Theory) The show has its moments...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
written language normally follows the spoken form, look at our cousins across the pond and their almost religious zeal to take the letter U out of things like colour etc and for which they should be ashamed and petition to be let back under crown control

and you know a good word when you can hear it in a lot of languages and know what it is "ena biera parakalo" and "une beera sil vous plais" (been years since i did any languages other than on a computer so ignore the spelling mistakes) but from the home of democracy to the home of freedom (so long as you don't mind the NSA listening in) its pretty much obvious what both sentences mean

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Yeah, kindve is not a word. The proper word is kinda.

I kinda like this thread, a place to discuss what is socially acceptable. I guess this would be area specific.
Really Rickymouse? Kinda is the proper word?' I know you're being sarcastic. Mostly I've seen of substituted for have. Example . "I could have been a contender." Phrased as "I could of been a contender. " It's phonetically spelled from "I coulda been a contender." Which is how we've heard the phrase.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

dictionary.reference.com...

I'm not being sarcastic.

edit on 1-6-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
My peeve is when people substitute prolly for the word probably.
I'll prolly be home late .

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: EnochRoot

How about YOUS, a plural of YOU, you hear it a lot in Pennsylvania, as in "how are yous guys doing".

Another one is AXED me for ASKED me, I here this a lot on the Judge TV shows.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
See, to me "kinda" is acceptable. Whether it should be a word or not is another matter, & I was surprised to see it in Ricky's link tbh, but what the heck......

Hammy downs - that is spectacular!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I believe language has evolved quite significantly over the times, and will continue to evolve. Personally, I am an offender with this subject. Substituting words is just what I do, I've been exposed to many different forms of language, so naturally I take on what I have been around.

Most of the time I try and use proper grammar, but I'm not perfect. Sometimes I just don't really care, because I know the person reading knows what I meant, they just like to pick people apart for making a grammatical error. It doesn't make me an ignorant person, it just means I don't really care.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I'm not being sarcastic.

From your link on the actual dictionary page and not the reference page you linked.

It says kinda is a pronounciation spelling of kind of. Kind of what I said only I said phonetically spelled instead of pronounciation spelling.
edit on AM000000300000000662208302014-06-01T10:08:36-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MinangATS

How about YOUS, a plural of YOU, you hear it a lot in Pennsylvania, as in "how are yous guys doing".

Another one is AXED me for ASKED me, I here this a lot on the Judge TV shows.

You mean you hear it right? Kick me I'm being a pain.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You hear it a lot in NY too. Northern thing. In the south its y'all. Does anyone say all of you? a reply to: MinangATS

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yes made me laugh too. a reply to: EnochRoot

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MinangATS

I had a girl in a bar tell me they taught her that at school!!!
I left it alone - she was happy...

I don't view myself as a grammar nazi, but some things really wind me up. "Kindve" kinda broke the camel's back with this one.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Meh.. english is a limited laguage .. gives me headaches ..

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Yes you hear it, mostly when you are greeted by a server in a restaurant. They think it is a proper word, so I don't doubt they would write it too.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'm pretty much a grammar Nazi. But what bothers me most is that the official word on some of these grammatical issues is changing to conform with the "new" way of speech. Don't be surprised if "kindve" shows up in the dictionary as a contraction of "kind of".

Two more examples:

One new official pronunciation of Nuclear is nu-kyuh-lar, as GW Bush incorrectly pronounced it.
The word "literally" is changing meaning to be the same as "virtually" or "figuratively". Just the opposite! What the???

nuclear

nu·cle·ar
noo-klee-er, nyoo- or, by metathesis, -kyuh-ler

Merriam-Webster "Literally"

: in effect : virtually

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Does anyone say all of you? a reply

Yes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>