It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why grammar and spelling matter

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

While I would love to be able to honestly suggest that it is impossible to find such errors in my posts, I cannot. I am nothing if not human, and by definition therefore, flawed. We all make mistakes, but I do try where possible, to remove and rectify my errors during the edit window . There are some glaring exceptions to that general rule, most of them made in the small wee hours of the night or morning, whilst half asleep.

edit on 10-7-2014 by TrueBrit because: The word window does not display when written near to a period.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

HEY! Looks like Grammacate or Grammatize may be available!! LOL!!!!
edit on 10-7-2014 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Please do not forget TB that this is an INTERNATIONAL forum and not just for Anglo Saxons and that not every member here has English as the native tongue.

Many international members here have been and are still downright frowned upon or even mocked or bullied by certain other members because their English or grammar is less than perfect.

There are even people here who may suffer from Dyslexia or other handicapping communication issues such as myself for example (following an accident)...

I personally think that it is down to people having a little more tolerance, respect and understanding towards others...

Just throwing in my couple of Euro centimes?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I could not agree more.

The topics we discuss here on ATS, are often of a particularly deep and murky nature. Some of the topics here are also highly technical in nature, revolving around fine details, a misunderstanding of which can render one quite utterly befuddled, when it comes to drawing conclusions from any data or discussion on the matter.

Therefore, clarity of communication is vital. Without it, we would find it impossible to discuss subjects of any complexity what so ever.

I would posit, that without effective and clear communication, we might as well all join facebook, and keep up with the adventures of some celebrity halfwit, because nothing of import can be discussed effectively using poor grammar and spelling!

edit on 10/7/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

...The word window does not display when written near to a period.

Window.

Hah, my computer is more better then yours.

edit on 10-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...The word window does not display when written near to a period.

Window.

Hah, my computer is more better then yours.

Apparently much more betterer.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Apparently much more betterer.

Obviously it is the bestest.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
It is quite noble of you to admit your flaws as a human. I, on the other hand, am not encumbered by such frailty.
You see, I am a human that is completely devoid of any conceivable fault. We perfect humans do exist. No I take that back, because I am the only perfect human. And please do not think that I am conceited. Conceit is a fault, and as I have already explained, I am free of any fault. Cheerio!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But hey, even the bestest can be bestestitisized. You know, when they catch those pesky virusenticated things... LOL!!

edit on 10-7-2014 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus
Sacre bleu! We do not accept Euros here.
We only accept Ameros!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus
Please do not forget TB that this is an INTERNATIONAL forum and not just for Anglo Saxons and that not every member here has English as the native tongue.

Many international members here have been and are still downright frowned upon or even mocked or bullied by certain other members because their English or grammar is less than perfect.

There are even people here who may suffer from Dyslexia or other handicapping communication issues such as myself for example (following an accident)...

I personally think that it is down to people having a little more tolerance, respect and understanding towards others...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

I could not agree more.

The topics we discuss here on ATS, are often of a particularly deep and murky nature. Some of the topics here are also highly technical in nature, revolving around fine details, a misunderstanding of which can render one quite utterly befuddled, when it comes to drawing conclusions from any data or discussion on the matter.

Therefore, clarity of communication is vital. Without it, we would find it impossible to discuss subjects of any complexity what so ever.

I would posit, that without effective and clear communication, we might as well all join facebook, and keep up with the adventures of some celebrity halfwit, because nothing of import can be discussed effectively using poor grammar and spelling!

English as a second or third language writers aside, and much respect to them, this is a written medium. We have no way of knowing if someone is dyslexic, typing at three in the morning, or in between constant drinking and smoking binges. If I see more than a bit of spelling or grammatical errors, I skip over the post. Otherwise it feels like my brain is being contaminated. My conclusion would be, either you can't be bothered to communicate clearly, or you're not all that bright (or you haven't yet mastered the use of that tiny 'smart' phone you feel compelled to post on.)

In other words, feel free to keep posting like a bored fourth grader tackling a tough assignment, we'll feel free to ignore you, which beggars the question, why are you bothering and wasting everyone's time? Without a certain amount of mastering of the language your brain is working in, your thinking will be equally muddy.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The way I look at it, if you don't like the way I write, and can't get past a few grammar errors, well then, don't read what I write.

English and grammar suck. I always hated both when I was in school.

I don't, and I am sure a lot of other people don't really care either,
if we make a few mistakes or use slang in our posts.

But then, that is just an opinion.

This is not school. No one is graded on grammar.

I have a bigger problem with walls of text.
But then I do try to correct myself if I notice a mistake, but really, it is not my problem if I make an error,
it is the problem of the person who has a problem with it.
Why? Cause I don't care about how I spell or use grammar.

As long as the point gets across, that is all that matters.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
Autumn approaches with the witching season...
One of my favorite quotes from Winston Churchill is his response to a woman who had the temerity to criticize him for ending a sentence with a preposition. His reply: "That is the sort of errant pedantry up with which I shall not put!"

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

originally posted by: Rodinus

Kindest respects

Rodinus

I could not agree more.

English as a second or third language writers aside, and much respect to them, this is a written medium. We have no way of knowing if someone is dyslexic, typing at three in the morning, or in between constant drinking and smoking binges. If I see more than a bit of spelling or grammatical errors, I skip over the post. Otherwise it feels like my brain is being contaminated. My conclusion would be, either you can't be bothered to communicate clearly, or you're not all that bright (or you haven't yet mastered the use of that tiny 'smart' phone you feel compelled to post on.)

In other words, feel free to keep posting like a bored fourth grader tackling a tough assignment, we'll feel free to ignore you, which beggars the question, why are you bothering and wasting everyone's time? Without a certain amount of mastering of the language your brain is working in, your thinking will be equally muddy.

How sad that you feel this way...

So... most of us are bored fourth graders in your opinion then?

Congratulations on being so broad minded if this is the case.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I went to a school for kids that "learned differently." Its a vague term, but many of the students had severe learning disabilities ranging from dyslexia to autism. In this time, I also got rid of the preconceived notion that proper spelling and grammar is indicative of much of anything, including intelligence. I also learned that when the topic delves deep enough, words do not suffice in the first place. To be truly accurate, one would have to define their "vision and perception" of every single word used to communicate. If I were to say "house" and want to truly communicate what I envision, it would take detailing everything from exterior finish to plumbing.

For myself, I generally refuse to use apostrophes. I dont like where the key is placed on a keyboard.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey, don't you think you're all overlooking something here???
How about the use of multiple punctuation marks to emphasize the poster's emotional state?!!???

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot
Sacre bleu! We do not accept Euros here.
We only accept Ameros!

Sadly seems to be the case quite often here.

I like your humour.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Hey Rod! Good to see you!

I absolutely agree, that persons who have English as a second language, ought to be respected and efforts must be made by others to interpret the gaps in their linguistic capabilities. The same is to be said of members suffering dyslexia.

However, for those of us lucky enough to speak the language upon which communication here is based, all possible efforts must be made to communicate clearly, and good grammar and spelling are an important part of that.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Yes, I am technically English. However, having as I do a lineage which contains ingredients from all the four corners of the British Isles, I tend to refer to myself as being merely British. If anything, I have more of an emotional and genetic connection to the welsh element of my heritage than I have to the English segment!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71
Dear DB, For someone who hated English and grammar in school, I think you did an excellent job of making your point.
As you say, as long as the point gets across, that is all that matters. But if you are an archer aiming for the apple atop the head of William Tell, the precision of your aim could be the difference between a bisected apple and a splitting headache.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Hey Rod! Good to see you!

I absolutely agree, that persons who have English as a second language, ought to be respected and efforts must be made by others to interpret the gaps in their linguistic capabilities. The same is to be said of members suffering dyslexia.

However, for those of us lucky enough to speak the language upon which communication here is based, all possible efforts must be made to communicate clearly, and good grammar and spelling are an important part of that.

Tally Ho old chap... much agreed what what...

Was Skyping with Cody earlier on and Cody added you to the conversation... we really need to teach that Cockney...

Right, one has to go forth and multiply now as ones second half has just entered the front door of our humble demeure...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join