It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Why grammar and spelling matter

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:33 PM
a reply to: TrueBrit
Consider it posted! Thanx Bud! Umm, drop by or somethin. Been looking for an installment from ya you know! LOL!!! Yah, I know......)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:05 PM
Honestly, I believe that typing in general will become a thing of the past in 10 to 20 years.

Everyone will be face to face in a virtual world discussing these very same things only then it will become a question of body language and avatar movements instead of grammar and punctuation.

Some day semi-soon, you will be able to look the person you are virtually talking to in the eye,
and at that point, it will become harder to be a grammar nazi.

Instead they will be bullies,
telling people they do not speak properly.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:26 PM
a reply to: Darkblade71

I take issue with comparing a desire to see better quality of written communication, with bullying someone over the way they speak.

The reason that written communication works best when it is standardised, is that unless it is very carefully constructed, it lacks the ability to convey complicated and abstract concepts, like emotion, sarcasm, and the like. Grammar is very important for written communication, precisely because of the limitations of written communication when compared with face to face, verbal communication.

Being in the same room as the person with whom one is conversing, or at least able to see them when they speak, one is engaged in more levels of communication than are possible via written communication. For example, body language, and the expression upon the face of both speaker and listener, are part and parcel of a greater medium of discussion. More can be conveyed about the subject matter, by gestures, by a hand on a hip, or a wry smile or other expression on the face, than one might give credit for.

Again, face to face communication is a multi-stream affair, which is why written communication has to be comprehensive, concise, and clear, in order to be even half as effective. Although I love both reading, and writing, the fact is that communicating via written word, removes quite a significant percentage of ones ability to express ones self, and therefore, one has to replace those channels of extra-verbal communication, with more rigorous attention to detail, if one is to be as well understood as possible.

That is why it is such an important topic for me.

Many of the problems that exist between the peoples of the world, start with differences in communication and cultural practices. It is my belief, that in order to minimise unnecessary conflict and confusion, the best course of action is to be as clear and concise as possible, to do ones best to communicate as effectively as one can.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:40 PM

Don't get me wrong, perhaps I didn't word that properly

I am not saying that grammar nazis are bullies, not yet anyways.
I am kind of looking at the future of online communication.

I do agree with you. In order to avoid misunderstandings,
one should be as precise as possible to make sure you get the message.

What I am saying is that misspelling and slang usage,
should not determine ....what...what am I saying??

*gets confused*

The point is that not everyone has those skills. At least not at first, and sometimes, not ever. Communication on almost any level is a skill. Some people do not have those skills, some learn them over time, and some are born natural communicators.

It is important to have these skills. No doubt about it, but you have to realize that not everyone does.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:08 PM
a reply to: Darkblade71

I think what the OP was getting at, was that we should all do our level best, and some folk clearly have not been. I can totally understand that not everyone is born with an innate love for the written word in all its glory. However, if someone wishes to be understood, and communicate on complex topics on a level with the subject matter, then a minimum standard of English language comprehension, and writing ability, are necessary.

I am not suggesting that in order to participate in the big discussions, every contributor must place commas, full stops, apostrophes, and so on in the right place, or use the biggest possible word for a thing, when a shorter one will just about do. But what I am saying is that there has to be a minimum standard, and that minimum standard has to be followed, or at least a solid attempt made, otherwise meaningful discussion becomes a nonsense, and we all end up dissatisfied with the outcome.

The people worst off in all this, are those who have failed to communicate themselves effectively, because it is they who will feel that they are missing out, they who will be frustrated with the responses they get from other members. I want everyone to be part of the discussion, I LIKE inclusiveness, but in a forum where written communication is the medium, ones ability to partake is inextricably linked to ones ability to join in on a level with others in the group. We should all do what we can to help a member who is struggling with these issues, of course, and I think if those members who have a significant ability in writing and reading share their abilities with others, and lend a hand, we might all get more out of our time here.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:42 PM

Now that was really well put.

Be constructive!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:56 PM
a reply to: buster2010

People whose first language is not English are not the problem. The problem is people whose first language is English, and who do not care enough or are too lazy to learn proper spelling and grammar.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:02 PM
a reply to: TheComte
You are no less wiser than Steve Buscemi on the Boardwalk. The problem with many of my American compatriots is that they scorn a foreign tongue and feel superior. America after all is exceptional, and many of my fellow Americans feel that the world should gratefully accept our superiority.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:45 PM
I should say something ... but I won't. This is my job. I get paid to correct other people, but I hate doing it on my own time. I also know I leave typos behind when I write. I suck at catching my own mistakes.

Some things:

1.) Not everyone will get the homophones correct and there are legitimate reasons to mistake them. I worked with people who had phonetic awareness issues and other learning disabilities not linked to overall intelligence. They had all kinds of trouble separating out when they should use the various homophones. They also had a certain pattern to other spelling errors and words like "prolly" instead of "probably" would be on the list. However, I can usually tell who these people are; one clue is that they have a fondness for overly phonetic misspellings. Some are indeed just lazy, but others have definite issues not related to laziness at all.

2.) ESL people also have a definite pattern of errors. It's linked to the grammar and spelling of their native language. You should be able to spot an ESL poster fairly easily. They'll make the same sorts of errors predictably in their writing.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:59 AM
Well-said, OP. I haven't taken to publicly correcting anyone, but I must admit that once I realize a poster has shirked any and all allegiances to the English language, and it's apparent they're from an English-speaking country, I simply stop reading. I know it's judgmental, but I make a crass assumption that the person doesn't care whether I can read their post unobstructed by the need to mentally correct what they're attempting to say or not.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:12 PM
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
All right, you are sentenced to detention where you shall write on the blackboard 500 times:
"I will not sass the teacher!"

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:05 AM

So... most of us are bored fourth graders in your opinion then?

No, just the ones who haven't yet figured out the dastardly subtle intricacies of their, there and they're - thus the fourth grade comment.

Again, I equate clarity of writing with clarity of thought. I can't keep people who have writing difficulties from posting, but that doesn't mean I'm beholden to try to slog through their (often) muck. After years of re-reading some posts over and over again, wondering what the hell I was missing that I couldn't make sense of it, I finally realized it was because there was nothing there to make sense of - often posts seem written by someone who is stoned, drunk or trying to imitate the 100 monkeys on typewriters, without the hoped-for Shakespearean success.

That said, there *are* people here and other places who obviously struggle with the language but still have deep thoughts, worthy of consideration. Unfortunately, until I get to know certain posters, I have to either waste a lot of time on the slogs, or scan and make a judgement call based on glaring errors. Making yourself clear to your readers is a courtesy, as is not wasting their time with your inebriated or otherwise compromised ramblings.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 11:07 AM
On the blackboard five hundred times I will not sass the teacher.
Well you said I had to write that didn't you?t reply to: Diderot

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:19 PM
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
Dear Pagan Goddess, Now who am I to question the will of Gaia?
Instead, why don't you write 500 times "I shall honor the Earth"?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>