It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LGBT ... And My Personal Brick Wall

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

agreed.

why would anyone feel 'obligated' to either take up a stance or an opinion on something that may or may not be relevant to them, their life, lifestyle, etc.

makes not a tinkers damn bit of sense.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Getting a discount is not a penalty.

If you agreed to pay x amount of dollars for something then choosing to do said something is a bonus. Not doing it is not penalizing you as you are still paying the amount you agreed to. Basically a bonus is something added to the compensation you agreed to while a penalty is going to take away from agreed compensation.

There are bonuses in companies for doing all sorts of things. Opting out means you will simply not receive said bonus. A penalty would be if they took money off your agreed compensation in some way.

edit on 3-7-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Don't engage these fools, you only further their cause.

I Am next in line. This Will be a problem for me. There is No dodge. I don't know whether or not you know me from my brief time posting here ... but, I don't tell lies, I don't embellish, and I don't mislead. I don't know how I'm going to field this question when it comes without being as direct as I was in the OP.

I need help getting my mind right so I don't wind up on the outside looking in. It should be pretty clear where I'm coming from, but the solution to my problem isn't apparent to me. At least I am in good company in this forum.

I'm already a year and a half past retirement age, so there's no cause for alarm, but I was hoping to rotate back into the US and settle before that became a necessity.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

Take this survey and tell us your personal habits .... smoking, recreational activities, etc ... or you will have to pay $50 more for company health insurance then those who answer the invasive questions.

Sounds like a penalty to me. But whatever ....

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

HEY OP - Is there a penalty involved if you don't answer the 'optional survey'??

If my employer come out with a survey, it wouldn't be optional.

If I don't complete the survey, there would be expected repercussions. In my case, I would most likely be expected to retire in lieu of completing it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Technically that last question isn't valid. The others are Objective Yes or No Questions while that last one is Subjective on the Basis of the other Terms being used which are wholly undefined.

Are you LBGT?? Can be answered Yes or No.

Are you an Ally of LBGT Community?? Depends on what it means to be an "Ally" of a "Community" and what exactly an "Ally" and "Community" means in this respect.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Pretty much all bonuses are unfair. Tis' the nature of the beast.

I know at a company I worked for they gave a bonus if you completed their wellness program or got flu shots. Obviously that was unfair as I don't get flu shots but again I didn't get penalized from my compensation...just didn't receive a bonus.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Legally they cannot force you to answer personal questions(survey) in regard to any of the protected classes without first getting your consent. If you live in a state where sexual orientation is protected, they cannot ask about it without consent.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I've been saying this for a while now.

You cannot simply accept something anymore.

You either are for it or against it.

I read you Lima Charlie. Sucks when you're put on the spot. Forcing people to pick sides might be exactly what causes the glue to separate from the form.

Please send me a PM with what you would do/say if this survey was presented to you. I'd really appreciate that.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

It's a trap, if you leave it blank you are a homophobe in their eyes even if your not, on the other hand if you fill it out you can put down what they want to hear and lie to yourself or explain to them your confusion like you did here and be labeled a homophobe even though your not.

Either way you lose.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: OrphanApology

I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

Take this survey and tell us your personal habits .... smoking, recreational activities, etc ... or you will have to pay $50 more for company health insurance then those who answer the invasive questions.

Sounds like a penalty to me. But whatever ....

Agreed. What is the best case scenario for not answering this survey? Nothing? Great! Something tells me that isn't the case here. My guess ... don't answer and you are put on a list of recalcitrant employees, refusing to be labelled. What happens with that list? I'm a lesbian and this stinks IMO. LGBT has lost it's way and become what they hate in other groups. I was actually called homophobic on a website once simply because I disagreed with someone. So was my partner. Absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

So ... what would you do?

Remember .. you're "thesaneone" and this is a pending real-world issue for me.

There may have been a winky at the end of the last sentence, but you have your finger directly on the crux of the issue at-hand.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
a reply to: thesaneone

So ... what would you do?

There may have been a winky at the end of the last sentence, but you have your finger directly on the crux of the issue at-hand.

I would leave that space empty and on the back of the survey I would present my confusion of why this is a important question.

What's the worst that can happen?

edit on 3-7-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't sweat it too much, and if Chase is really doing this they're going to get their butts sued off by their employees. Whether or not some here like the fact religion IS a protected class under the Constitution, sexual orientation ISN'T... The reason why “Hobby lobby” just won their SCOTUS case is because of the same fact above. You cannot legislate or discriminate based on religious belief in the US, that is a fundamental right here, one that the original founders made quite explicitly clear. They came here to escape the religious persecution in Europe after all.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
i thought you came up with a new sandwich LGBT
lettuce garlic bacon and tomato
sorry my bad

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

I would tell them that “my attorney has advised me to refuse to answer as it violates my constitutional rights to religious freedom, and may open me up to discrimination based on my religious beliefs.”

Watch them run like hell for the shredder with their survey....

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: defcon5

Thanks for that! My Independence Day weekend has already begun, and your words will be the subject of contemplation until I return to the forums.

-Cheers

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I can understand your being upset with Chase, (I'm assuming you work there). If its a volontary survey, throw it in the trash. Your "attitudes" or opinions or beliefs are no one else's business. Surveys like this are stupid and invasive.

If you're forced to respond, the best thing to do in my opinion is to "read" the political environment and give them the answer they want. You're under no obligation to tell the truth to them or anyone else for that matter about your core beliefs or attitudes. They're your own, you own them. As long as you keep your opinions to yourself and don't act out on them by throwing rocks at certain types of people, your not hurting anyone.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Actually rereading their survey, it can be taken either way.
1)They are going to discriminate against those who do support LGBT.
2)They are going to discriminate against those who don't support it.

Plead the 5th, and don't answer it. It might hurt you to answer that either way, there may not be a right answer. Tell them its None of their damn business. If they press, call your attorney.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5
“my attorney has advised me to refuse to answer as it violates my constitutional rights to religious freedom, and may open me up to discrimination based on my religious beliefs.”

This should still work if you need to use it, but make sure you use the word MAY or something to that effect. They might take this as you “don't support”, but in truth you haven't told them either way. You haven't said it “WILL open me up to discrimination”, you're just saying it “MAY”.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join