It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cannabis linked to mental illness risk

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Today's pot isn't your parent's pot, it's ten times stronger, and who knows what chemicals they put into it.

myths, myths.... talk about Hash oil, or Hash itself.. same potency .. I for one know that some outdoor strains are more powerful than indoor strains, unless you have both sitting infront of you and you can make a Proper decision its based on myths..

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Quote: "Regular smoking combined with psychiatric label of potential to become psychotic increases the risk up to 25%."

What the hell does this mean? Sounds like Gibberish to me! Government says "Big Pharma Paided us off to do this Study"! So remember Kids Eat PILLS - it good for you! You don't want to mess with that "Evil Plant" thats BAD!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is blatant DISINFORMATION

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I have seen first hand that marijuana can induce psychotic behavior. My son first had psychotic behaviors due to using Ectasy. Before he used Ectasy, and smoked marijuana, he didn't show any psychotic behavior; however, after using, apparently, enough Ectasy to produce the psychosis, from that point on, he would become slightly to moderately psychotic whenever he smoked marijuana.

What it boiled down to was that he already had the tendency to become psychotic (from his father's side...really...not just shunting it to someone else, they do have this type of mental problem at times, in the family). The Ectasy seemed to have "tripped a switch" in his brain that shuts off when the drugs are out of his system; however, his personality has been irrevocably changed. And, his brain chemisty seems to be permanently changed, also. And marijuana can go to that same place, in his brain, flip that switch, and he can become "strange", meaning anything from just slightly crazy to pretty darn paranoid. He can't even take Ectasy anymore! It was horrible. He doesn't smoke marijuana anymore, either. Thank goodness he's quit using drugs!

But, for a long time, he really seemed to like using the Ectasy, even if he went all pyschotic! I would even think that he was using it to get out some of his aggressions, and to be able to say what he wanted and stuff. I know it's addicting, and that could've been why he wanted it, but that's what it appeared to me, anyway, in part because he has always had such a hard time communicating. It was too weird and I am so glad it's over...at least I pray it's over for good.

But, in defense of marijuana...it helps pain so well, but you have to keep a certain amount in your system at all times because coming down from it, the pain is, seemingly, intensified, which is a major bummer. And marijuana can help the people in constant pain be happy, thereby improving their quality of life.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
New scientific report just in . . .

Living life linked to mental illness risk.

Originally posted by curme
Today's pot isn't your parent's pot, it's ten times stronger, and who knows what chemicals they put into it.

Can I have the number of your man, sounds like good stuff.

[edit on 15-9-2005 by shanti23]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
And bear in mind that in England, most pot-smokers use it with tobacco.

Very few seem to use it in the "American" manner (ie, just the marijuana).

Is this the true link?

Is it really tobacco causing the madness?

Hmmmmm.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I would tend to agree with the study, just because everyone I have ever known who has "heard voices" only started "hearing the devil telling them to cut themself", "seeing ET" etc etc after smoking pot. But obviously it only increases the risk; it doesn't make everyone who smokes it crazy. But then again Helter Skelter made Charles Manson crazy apparently, so we could say listening to music increases the chances too.

As for arguing which substance is more harmful than the other, why don't we just all realize that no matter what substance we are taking, it is a chemical that the body shouldn't naturally ingest, and we are SLOWLY KILLING OURSELVES by taking them. Alcohol is a poison. Nicotine is a poison. And any plant that alters your mind is probably trying to make you not eat it as well. Nitrites in lunchmeat cause cancer. And the list goes on. So even if it isn't making you go crazy, it is still having bad effects on you, whether you can realize it as of right now or not.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I have many many freinds that smoke pot and have done for many years and none of them seem to have any mental problems, personally my point of view on it if ur gona have mental problems ur gona get them reguardless if u smoke hash or not! Allthough i do think part of it could be the ppl u r with, if uve got somone there whos constaly taken the piss out of u and belittling u then that might cause u to flip out and the paranoia set in! but like i said b4 i dont think its half as bad as wat most of the goverment make out!
At the end of the day they could be on to a right little earner in tax as the plant is near of free to grow and they could tax it to the hilt if it wer legal!
Toke on ppl!

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I would tend to agree with the study, just because everyone I have ever known who has "heard voices" only started "hearing the devil telling them to cut themself", "seeing ET" etc etc after smoking pot.

Probably because of the mild hallucinogenic effects.

Not because of insanity.

Then again, I've been in (very) close quarters to a couple of pot smokers who'd been doing it since around 1975...and they're fine. No madness, mental disability (unless you count "arrogant pigishness"). In fact, none of the smokers I've ever known have suffered any lasting effects.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
There is a huge percentage of the population that smokes pot. The prohibition of marijuana makes even less sense than the prohibition of alcohol. I personally do not need the government to protect me from myself. My personal habits are my business, as long as they do not harm others. If the government didn't spend so much time criminalizing and misinforming its citizens about the use of marijuana and more time studying its medicinal properties the world would be much better off. This change would make major strides in our legal system, medical care, and personal freedom. The bottom line is-if you have smoked marijuana you know that the government's statements about it are hooey. If not , you might be naive enough to believe it. MOST prescriotion drugs are far more dangerous, physically and mentally.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
What makes you assume they put chemicals on it?

There is no assumption about it; it is a fact that some drug dealers lace it with pcps and coc aine.

Columbia, SCN,M: Marijuana is laced with crack, PCP (“chronic”), or “embalming fluid (“wet joints”). PCP-laced joints are increasing.
Miami, FLM: Some dealers lace marijuana with coc aine to get customers to return. The buyers assume “it’s just especially potent marijuana.”

Trends in Drug Use

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
That's kind of silly Shots, what would be the purpose? It would certainly cut down on the profit margin. Just another myth.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
LOL, yeah how do you "lace" weed?

Anyway, no point. Cocaine and PCP sells for far more than weed so it would be pointless.

Also why condemn a medically useful substance because some idiot abuses it?

If you do some research you'll find prescription drugs, with far more serious side effects than cannabis, are abused and sold by idiots every day.
Ever hear of pot causing suicide?
Well legal, prescribed anti-depressants have. Kind of ironic huh?

You can't believe anything coming from the powers that be when it comes to pot. They have a vested interest in supporting the pharmaceutical industry, and have NO problems spreading stupid myths and lies to keep people in the dark.
If you believe the lies, you are far more stupid and ignorant than the pot smokers you condemn.

Find out the truth for yourself, go smoke a bowl, enjoy its health benefits.
It's one of the best things you can do for yourself. And I'm not talking about just "getting high"; there is more to this sacred plant than just a cheep buzz.

And if you don't want to, leave those alone that do, it's not your business.
I ain't going to stop you driving your car which kills, injures, and causes far more mental health problems than pot does (people turn into aggressive, stressed, impatient, heart-disease-waiting-to-happen-idiots as soon as they get behind that wheel). I could write a small book on everyday things we take for granted, that are FAR more dangerous to the health of society and the individual than pot.

The pot haters are just control freaks IMHO...LOL

Anyway, gotta run and get my prescription filled

[edit on 15/9/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Teflon is now linked to cancer, "Got a frying Pan?"

The only thing promised is death, do what you want.

Peace(stolen from DR Love)

[edit on 15-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
From this excerpt, it sounds like the psychosis may well have come first......so there is a high probability that the people here have sought to self-medicate their already existing psychosis with pot.

The study aimed to answer a question that has been unsettling psychiatrists for some time. People with psychosis, whose symptoms include hallucinations, paranoia, hearing voices and a persecution complex, are more likely than not to have a marijuana habit.

And here, again the psychosis, may already be present.

Originally posted by FibroKat

...What it boiled down to was that he already had the tendency to become psychotic (from his father's side...really...not just shunting it to someone else, they do have this type of mental problem at times, in the family).

Years ago, I worked at a mental health facility, and I have seen first hand that family members can induce psychotic behavior! ( Patients were often greatly agitated by visits ....for one reason or another....ie....?) I could even say I'd taken a 'survey' of the staff, supporting my position.

Statistics can be manipulated to support various claims.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Cannabis linked to mental illness risk!

I knew it!

I knew it all, along!

I heard it shrinks peoples brains and male testicles, also !

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Myself and I'm sure a pretty fair amount of other members here have smoked copious amounts of grass in our time. Scientists can link it to mental illness all they want, it's BS!!!! I've done more extensive research than any scientist ever has and all I can link it to is the overconsumption of the numerous Frito-Lay products in my pantry. That's it.

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Peace(stolen from DR Love)

We need more peace around ATS brother.

Peace

[edit on 15-9-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I would tend to agree with the study, just because everyone I have ever known who has "heard voices" only started "hearing the devil telling them to cut themself", "seeing ET" etc etc after smoking pot.

I have been around pot-heads my whole life I know more people that smoke green than I do that smoke tobacco and I have never heard anything close to anyone hearing anything except their stomachs grawling nor have I heard of people seeing "strange" things. Not saying it isn't possible I guess but it seems to me I would have met someone who at least heard of something like that.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
And bear in mind that in England, most pot-smokers use it with tobacco.
Very few seem to use it in the "American" manner (ie, just the marijuana).
really I didn't know that is there a reason other than thats just the way they do it over there?

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Smoke.... Man, as a Canadian I must say I feel so sorry for my American brothers and sisters that are being hurt by the blatent disinfo from the Fed's. It is really too bad because there is simply not too much you can say about this plant(Assumed used within reason) that is bad. It's hole family is just incredible as a utility plant, medicine, and fun. Not sure what can be done for it to start to straighten out. More people have to be educated.

Let me ask those here that may know someone that has smoked before..... I have a theory that what that stuff does(from what my friends have told me
) is enhances your senses. When I, they, get the munchies stuff that usually tastes good, tastes GREAT. The flavour seems so much more prominent. Colours (Assuming a good sativa strain) also seem more vaibrant and sounds more audiable. It is like your senses are on high alert. I, have hear, that when you just sit there, you can actually feel your heart beating in every part of your body. It is an incredible sensation.

Ofcourse the nap afterwards is awesome too. Say, anyone see any brownies around?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join