It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7,500 Years Old "Toy Car"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

i thought he had stone rollers and a wood chassis?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Looks more like a doll carriage to me. Maybe someone made it as a child's toy.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
a reply to: rickymouse

i thought he had stone rollers and a wood chassis?

Yeah, I guess they were stone rollers. I haven't seen a picture in a long time. I guess I assumed it would be easier to make log rollers than to carve stone so I assumed they were logs. I had to go look at a picture on the net.
edit on 26-6-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteMagicWoman

Maybe they did. They did find dolls there too and whisltes, Maybe it was an old nursery....

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I'm baffled. It doesn't look like a chariot, it doesn't even look like a cart pulled by anything. A cart would have a tongue extending out (as two examples posted do) that the animals are hooked to. This doesn't even seem to have a place where it had one. Not to mention, horses weren't domesticated until 5000 years ago (although some estimates will push that back to up to 7000 but it's a stretch).

Where this was found would be really important in trying to determine what draft animals may have been used and what agricultural activity may have been going on at the time. At the same time if the culture had the capacity to make a self propelled machine this representation does seem a bit crude. We don't know anything about the society and how the social strata were divided in terms of access to resources. Maybe clay was all they had to make a model of it... Somebody mentioned that it looks like a baby stroller and it looks a bit like that to me too, but honestly I can only spitball here; I am scratching my head.

edit on 26-6-2014 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

what are the features that make you think this is a car and not a chariot?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
looks to me like a kids pram!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The "Archaeologist" can't be found on Google Scholar, nor any write-up of the dig.

That's very odd, if it's real.

The cuneiform tablet included in the story does not come from the same site - a red flag.

Not saying it isn't legit, just saying I'll withold my belief until I can read about the find in ANY scholarly journal, and not in a series of reposts on internet blogs.

Harte

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
if this is even real its most likely not a car, because it has no steering wheel. Anything that is pushed or pulled does not specifically need steering wheel like a chariot or a cart. It helps but its not needed.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hmmmm, held in a Turkish museum, but no info on where it came from. Looks vaguely like a Sumerian four wheeled onager cart.

Image of onager cart

edit on 26/6/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

I'm baffled. It doesn't look like a chariot, it doesn't even look like a cart pulled by anything. A cart would have a tongue extending out (as two examples posted do) that the animals are hooked to. This doesn't even seem to have a place where it had one. Not to mention, horses weren't domesticated until 5000 years ago (although some estimates will push that back to up to 7000 but it's a stretch).

Where this was found would be really important in trying to determine what draft animals may have been used and what agricultural activity may have been going on at the time. At the same time if the culture had the capacity to make a self propelled machine this representation does seem a bit crude. We don't know anything about the society and how the social strata were divided in terms of access to resources. Maybe clay was all they had to make a model of it... Somebody mentioned that it looks like a baby stroller and it looks a bit like that to me too, but honestly I can only spitball here; I am scratching my head.

Even now some farmers don't uses horses or tractors, they use oxen with the cutting blades attached by harness to the critters.

But beach buggies, dune cars, sand runners or Meyer Manx cars do have the wider rear wheels.

image.eurotuner.com...

Some experimental solar powered racing cars have really narrow wheels for the aerodynamicc capability:

www.super-science-fair-projects.com...

Maybe someone liked to go dune bug racing all those millenium ago

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The "toy cars" are real, and Sumerian. They aren't "ooparts" however, they're just ancient children's toys. Sumerians first utilized the wheel.

Posted here on ATS about two years ago:

7500 Year Old Toy Car and World's Oldest Title Deed

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
The "toy cars" are real, and Sumerian. They aren't "ooparts" however, they're just ancient children's toys. Sumerians first utilized the wheel.

Posted here on ATS about two years ago:

7500 Year Old Toy Car and World's Oldest Title Deed

This toy in particular, however, appears to have no provenance at all that I can find.

The absence of anything - any publication at all - on Google Scholar from the "Archaeologist" suggests this story (if not the toy) is a fake.

Harte
edit on 6/26/2014 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Thanks for that..

purp..

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I don't believe its a car.But amazed that they understood the concept of the wheel and axle 7,500 years ago.If the dating is accurate.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Seeing as only the most uneducated would suggest that 3,000 years ago we only lived in caves, I'm a little cautious how much credibility to give to the rest of the article.

I use to think that. I do not anymore. I read a few books by Graham Hancock they changed my mind. Try a book called Finger Prints of the Gods if you interested

Kind regards

purp

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
One of the earliest finds are spindles from clay, stone and it looks like an axle with one wheel. It doesn't take much to attach another spindle wheel and see what it does. It also wouldn't be a surprise that some spindle wheels were used as toys or figures. With this assumption it's possible to stretch the date of wheel appearance way back in history.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I thought chariots would have side bits sticking out of them. But I have learnt now from this thread that is not the case..

purp..

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Side bits? Is that a technical term? lol
edit on 27-6-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
And really most of you think Fred Flinston didn't happen =P

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join