It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Signs That You’re One of Those “Crazy Preppers”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ok, so I found this funny at first...a good chuckle in fact. And then as I got down the list a little more, my smirk faded.

I took it as tongue in cheek humor mostly but many will read between the lines and actually see themselves somewhere on the list. I identify with about 3/4 of it so count me in. lol

1. Pantries are so mainstream…you have food stashed in strange places in every room of the house.

2. You have enough toilet paper to get through a year of uncomfortable digestive upsets…occurring with 6 people simultaneously.

3. Speaking of which, you possess at least 3 different ways to use the bathroom, only one of which is an actual bathroom.

4. Your kids know what OPSEC means…at the age of 4.

5. You have topographical maps of your area…plural.

6. When you’re forced to interact with “the others” you feel like you are awkwardly censoring your true opinion.

7. You think nothing of treating an injury or illness yourself because “what if there was no doctor?”

8. Paintball is no longer just a fun way to spend an afternoon – it’s called “training”.

9. With every major purchase, you contemplate going for the off-grid version.

10. You have more manual tools than power tools.

11. You’ve washed entire loads of laundry by hand for either necessity or practice. (And not just your dainties…we’re talking about jeans and stuff!)

12. Your kids are not afraid of guns…or fingers pointed like guns…or pastries in the shape of guns…or drawings of guns.

13. When house hunting you look for multiple heat and water sources.

14. You store food in buckets…lots of buckets…like, maybe even a whole room full of buckets.

15. You garden with a determination and time commitment normally reserved for endurance athletes training for an Ironman triathlon.

16. If you don’t have a water source on your property, you have put in miles of footwork searching for one nearby, and have mapped multiple discreet routes to and from the source, and figured out how to haul the water back to your house on each route.

17. Your first instinct when hearing about some event on the mainstream news is skepticism. (False flag event, anyone?)

18. You believe that FEMA camps are real and that you are most likely on “The List”.

19. Instead of CNN, you have alternative news sites bookmarked in your favorites on your computer.

20. You have enough coffee/tea/favorite-caffeinated-item-of-choice to last you through 3 apocalypses.

21. You have enough over the counter medications stashed away to outfit a small-town pharmacy.

22. You have an instinctive mistrust of most cops or anyone working for an alphabet agency.

23. You could sink a ship with the weight of your stored ammo.

24. Looking for a fun weekend outing with the kids? Forget amusement parks – the shooting range is where it’s at.

25. When the power goes out, you calmly light the candles and proceed with whatever you had been dong previously.

26. A longer-term power outage is called “practice”.

27. If a like-minded person comes over to your house, they’ll realize you are “one of them” by seeing your reading material. Other folks won’t even notice. The FBI would call your copy of The Prepper’s Blueprint and your James Wesley Rawles fiction "subversive literature".

28. Your children carry a modified bug-out kit in their school backpacks.

29. You can and dehydrate food with the single-minded fervor of an Amish grandmother facing a 7-year drought.

30. Calling 911 is not part of your home security plan. www.activistpost.com...

Add your own...

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

You have safety deposit boxes in other countries.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

I don't know about that. Gotta be able to get to that 'Other' Country.

I would say a few boxes buried strategically within a day walk and with a food/weapons/tools/tradeables cache.

But that's just me.

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Wow. I answered no to every question. Every single one. I shop for food every day. Our toilet paper stores are what ever is in the package usually a four pack and we have to put replacements on a list otherwise we're using napkins, paper towels or coffee filters. LOL I do have candles. Scented candles in scents like tropical breeze or lilac sensations or vanilla sugar. Those sure come in handy... when we forget to buy cat litter. See toilet paper above.
I guess I'm up that creek if Armageddon hits. Oh well I'm also that person shopping for Christmas presents on Christmas eve.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
" You never speak of your preps to anyone outside your own home or that you don't plan to bug out with."
Never know who might plan to rob you instead of buy their own.

edit on 25-6-2014 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

I don't know about that. Gotta be able to get to that 'Other' Country.

I would say a few boxes buried strategically within a day walk and with a food/weapons/tools/tradeables cache.

But that's just me.

Peace
well here in the U.S. other country could be Canada or Mexico... or California. LOL.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
" You never speak of your preps to anyone outside your own home or that you don't plan to bug out with."

That sounds like a paranoid personality type just goes with the territory.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

What happens in Prep Club, stays in Prep Club

edit on 25-6-2014 by BestinShow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If you meet someone who you think might also be a prepper, you speak in code to gauge just how much of a prepper he or she actually is.

"Sooo... how about that power outage the other day, I hope you guys managed okay..."
"Yeah, we luckily had a couple of candles laying around..."
"Oh yes, I try to hang on to a few extras too, the power is always going out!"
"Yeah, and the water went out a few weeks ago too, I'm so glad I had refilled that one extra jug right beforehand!"
"Yep, me too, I'm so lucky that I had a couple of extras too. And when the power went out, I had an extra half full propane tank or two in case I had to cook on the grill"
"Yes, that's a smart thing to do..."

And then The Look is exchanged, the point at which both parties know exactly what the other is about. LOL.
(Yeah, this has actually happened!)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

That should be #1.

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

That sounds like a paranoid personality type just goes with the territory.

Paranoid/Cautious...Potato/Tomato...lol

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Don't feel alone, I too answered no to all those questions.

At least we can rest easy, knowing we're not one of those "Crazy Preppers."

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I identify with about half. I don't feel like a crazy prepper, though... I feel simply prepared.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Other signs:

You spend some time at least once every few days looking for anything that could become a "trigger" and then monitor the situation closely.

Prepping is a major reason that you are anti-gun control.

You know at least three different ways to harvest water after a grid failure, half a dozen different food sources in your area that don't include agriculture, and what crops can be regrown from leftovers.

You have left a decent job/employment market to "strategically relocate".

You left said decent job/employment to live on a plot of land in the middle of nowhere using skills and tools that would make an Amish person smile.

You imagine life after "the collapse" is going to be exactly like The Road or The Book of Eli, and it makes you equal parts nervous and excited.

Before you strategically relocated, you cross referenced everything from average rainfall, to average temp, to the location of the nearest body of water, to local population, to the proximity of nuclear reactors...and now you're sitting there silently scolding me for not mentioning an obviously relevant stat when one is choosing such a location.

You think "The Village" is actually a movie about a group of preppers.

The motivation to finally stick to your New Year's resolution to diet was prepping.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You only teach your kids to take things by force from the "bad people" who refuse to share.

edit on 25-6-2014 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You have 30+ chickens running around your property, and your preteen children can "dispatch", pluck and cut up a meat chicken in record time. 1/2 hour from yard to pot.

Oh yeah, and that move to a more strategic location... my father is laughing his a** off up in heaven because his city girl has been plunked down in the middle of nowhere, and has goats.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning
If you meet someone who you think might also be a prepper, you speak in code to gauge just how much of a prepper he or she actually is.

"Sooo... how about that power outage the other day, I hope you guys managed okay..."
"Yeah, we luckily had a couple of candles laying around..."
"Oh yes, I try to hang on to a few extras too, the power is always going out!"
"Yeah, and the water went out a few weeks ago too, I'm so glad I had refilled that one extra jug right beforehand!"
"Yep, me too, I'm so lucky that I had a couple of extras too. And when the power went out, I had an extra half full propane tank or two in case I had to cook on the grill"
"Yes, that's a smart thing to do..."

And then The Look is exchanged, the point at which both parties know exactly what the other is about. LOL.
(Yeah, this has actually happened!)

Thank gooodness!! I thought this kind of stuff only happened to me!!

That is a bang-on scenario.

I was phoning a place the other day for a totally non-prep related thing and with one simple comment about the plastics which are for potable water use and the person on the other line and I began this same Prepper Mating dance.

The conversation actually touched on the importance of having a safe private water source, in the Country a specific distance from Urban populace before we tipped proverbial hats and decided we were on thin ice and getting to personal.

The entire conversation took place,WITHIN our main conversation and it was spoken in that same funny "code" and had you not been paying attention you would not have caught our exchanges.

This is hilarious, have things gotten this bad so soon that there are already informal codes being naturally catalysed amongst same-minded people? Nature never creates things she doesnt need so this is not maybe such a good thing to be seeing.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
So many of those are just the necessities of an everyday prepared Yooper. What is so crazy about that. Oh yeah, come to think about it we are calling ourselves Yoopers.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
* Checking drought maps before agreeing to move across country.

* Think of everything in the "rule of three" - 3 ways to cook, 3 ways for water, etc

* Insist on a wood stove - pellet & coal require electricity (Called that right - look what Fed is doing to coal)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Two of my kids live in a town below a dam that was built on a major fault, and has a 'C' rating. If it breaks, 40,000+ people will have 20 minutes to get to high ground.
I will be able to help my kids, grand child, and then some.
Go ahead; call me crazy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join