It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigation reveals grandmother of girl allegedly ask to leave KFC was lying!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Sad. Seems like every single one of these maligned restaurant customer/employee stories ends up being a fraud.

NY Daily News: Woman’s claim KFC kicked out 3-year-old disfigured granddaughter a hoax: report

Kelly Mullins said an employee at a Jackson, Miss. KFC discriminated against little Victoria Wilcher, who was mauled by pit bulls, because her 'face is disrupting customers.' But a third party investigation has reportedly uncovered that the family never visited the store May 15, meaning it was a hoax. The lie led to $135,000 in donations for the injured girl, and free surgeries from a Las Vegas surgeon.

In fact, the woman and the little girl did not even visit that location, or another Jackson location, a review of surveillance tape found.
Mullins told WAPT on June 12 that she and the girl visited the store after a doctor’s appointment at a nearby KFC, where the grandmother “ordered a sweet tea and mashed potatoes and gravy.”
But a review of transactions on May 15 at both Jackson locations found those items weren’t included in the same order at any point. And no one matching the description of Mullins or little Victoria visited either restaurant, the Leader-Call reported.

When I read the first story, I thought to myself, "UGH! I hate people!" Now I'm reading this and again I'm saying to myself, "UGH! I hate people!"
edit on 2014-6-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I figured from the start it had to be a hoax. People have big hearts for such kids.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I figured from the start it had to be a hoax. People have big hearts for such kids.

I agree

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
What a wiesel.
Did I spell that right?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm relieved to find out it was a hoax. Sadly, I have to say that not everyone has big hearts for kids. Some people are just cruel and evil and it's a sad tell (yes. tell.) that so many of us believed it because that shows what is wrong with our world today. 20/30 years ago nobody would have believed this. Now... Too damn many people believed it, including myself. Only because I have seen some terrible, disgusting, individuals in my days.

Now the terrible, disgusting, individual seems to be the grandmother who amassed a tiny fortune for lying to the world about something she knew most would buy, hook, line, and sinker. She didn't care who had to do without to donate. She didn't care if people would lose their jobs. It seems she only cared about her own gain.

Either way this story ended is disgusting. The first fake story and now the real story.

edit on 6/23/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

You know what? I never understood why people always take up a fund to donate to people when something mean happens to them. Bus attendant gets bullied by some kids and cries - send her some money. Waitress claims she got a nasty note about lesbianism, instead of a tip - send her money (oh she lied too), Little kid gets bullied in a fast food chain - send some money. Why? Just weird.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
So KFC just apologizes and offers money without even talking to the employees to get their version of what happened?

The seems hard to believe from several directions.

If true, grandma is a real piece of work.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It really is sad that people resort to such methods. This little girls story could have been published on a crowd-funding site asking for donations and still would have had enough tugging on the heart strings of many people to most-likely have afforded her the care she needed without the deceit.
I don't know if the folks who have donated money will get it back or want it back and what of the surgeon who acted from the heart but it is really hard to hold the girl at fault so I hope something amenable is worked out.

It would truly be awesome if the surgeon took a higher ground on this and just let the girl be. She really should not carry the shame her family bestowed upon her and I hope people can still see that the little girl's quality of life will certainly be better thanks to the surgeon.

As for the funds collected, every penny that is not requested returned by the donors should be given to the charity or charities of the surgeon's choosing, and in his name.

The deceit was real and I am not condoning it but people should also do their due diligence to sort out the fraudsters from the truth. This grew to such a large proportion because people do have big hearts and the impulse to help is there, too. Anyone who is going to donate to some cause has to either acknowledge the risk and try to get a vetting of the facts if possible.

For everyone who did donate something, their hearts certainly are in the right place and I hope this doesn't sour them for long.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I feel the fool as likely many other people do. But if there's something to learn from this it's to always keep an extra critical eye on what you read when high emotions are involved.
Personally, I take it as an additional reminder that the news media is not our friend. Hasn't been for forty years.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LadySkadi

That is weird and it would never occur to me to donate money to a lot of these folks and I donate to a few different things. What things like this will do if it continues to happen (and I think it will) is keep people from donating when something really counts. Say if this exact incident happened and the girl's disfigurement could be fixed with a few surgeries the family could not afford (hospital is taking donations) that may be something a lot of folks would donate to, but after a few more of these, people who could use it, will probably have less of a chance to get it. And that is an injustice.

You aren't alone in your thinking. The people throwing money around in these cases is what is causing this trend to continue.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think YUM corp threw in the money to immediately handle damage control.

Now I am thinking the franchise owner did his investigation, saw it might be BS and played it slow to make sure he didn't make a mistake if he believed the story was false. Since management had not denied it at the time, it seemed true.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LadySkadi
Hush now, I'm trying to think of some kind of gimmick for me to cry to the public about.
I'ma get me one of them new Hummers if they open the doors back up!

/sarcasm

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I would have to hear her response, because they paid out money. And it brought a lot of anger towards them. And they can easily say, hide a receipt, and say no one matched that description.

Didn't read anything about video on that link but video can be doctored up, and elite cover for each other.

So, seems like an odd thing to lie about.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Disgusting conduct by granny .. should have figured it would turn out to be a scam ..
Feel sorry for the poor girl having disgraceful relatives like that .. hope she doesnt grow up to be like them ..

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Everyone is taking face value on this, its not proven. They have a lot to lose and the money to cover their tracks. Why people jump to conclusions and then swing the opposite without remaining somewhat neutral and listing possibilities, is beyond me.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Complete douche! Hard to believe anyone these days..some people really do suck eggs...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

We take it at face value because it's not surprising in today's world...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Dear Unity_99,

May I reverse your post? It is not a criticism of you, but we do have pre-conceived notions of people, and ATS tends to jump to the conclusion that the Police, the Country, and Corporations are all evil, and delight in doing evil.

I don't have the heart to go back to the original thread, but I'll bet a quarter (that's as high as I ever go, it indicates complete surety on my part) that nobody wrote:

"Everyone is taking face value on this KFC story, its not proven. The grandmother has a lot to gain in publicity and money. She has the ability to lie and social media to spread the story. Why people jump to conclusions about KFC without remaining somewhat neutral and listing possibilities, is beyond me."

Do you think anyone wrote that? Did you?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

And KFC doesn't have even more to lose by saying this and it not being true??
They would not come out with something like this unless they knew for sure.
At least that is how I see it anyway

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
That money should to back to every single person who donated it. The little girl should get her free surgery for her face. Mother should get nothing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join