It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writers, and Anyone Else That's Interested: Share Your 'Drabbles'!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This is based on the following thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Happy Birthday, To You

"...Happy birthday, to you," he sang, as he carried the tray bearing the candle-covered cake.
An unused game of 'Pin the tail on the donkey' fluttered against the door as he passed.
The children sat, party hats on their heads, as he distributed each frosted slice to its appropriate place.
Dressing as a clown was meant to be entertaining, but these kids were each ten to twelve years old; had he made a poor choice in doing so?
While taking pictures, he silently hoped that the cemeteries wouldn't trace the missing bodies to him, until the party was over.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Dying Thoughts

“Four years… has it really been four years already?” She knew it was true. It was a rhetorical thought but the sense of disbelief still gnawed at her soul. So many friends lost. She learned that getting close to anyone only meant eventual pain. Sure, there had been men. She’d even had children but where they were now, she had no idea. That’s how confusing things were in her world. What was the point of it all? Why was she born? She’d never know the answer as the executioner's axe came down on her neck, bringing release for the chicken.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Tough Steps

Clicking footsteps, hurrying, rushing to catch the plane, making good progress, might actually make it. And then the total, sudden stop. Hang on. Step now? Don't step? When? Now? Wait? One more deep breath.

Okay, eyes open, doing it. Step now. Just do it. Now. No no no wait! Another deep breath, and...go! Oops, Okay, on the next one, go, no matter what.

Wait. Here it comes. Go now! Do it! Ugh, wait, wait, wait. Not yet it's only halfway out...no now all the way, Okay...step now! And yes! Success. Did it!

Man, escalators in high heels....

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Ok, I think I've done my word count correctly, this is kind of a sequel to this entry.

An effect on the console

"Sir, something seems to be happening to the distraction index"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, you know the abberitions that require the extra level of control?"
"Yes"
"Some of them are getting around our countermeasures and seem to be having an affect on the subjects by pointing out the holes in the official narratives."
"So, they've been doing that for a while now and never made a difference before. Why is it all of a sudden an issue?"
"It seems as though some of them have taken to using our techniques and been slashing through the veils we weave."
"Ish."

Now to go back and read these others!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
"Sacrifice"

It only took a couple of weeks. The book had been staring at her in the face since the beginning of the month. The passage she had just read burned into her mind. She ignored it at first and went on with her life. She went to work, prepared her meals, took care of her infant son, still the passage twisted and struggled in her mind, whispering quietly to her at night. She resisted its honeyed words; its promise of power.

But when she tasted her infant son’s blood, there they were again. It only took a couple of weeks.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Trick Or Treat

Peering out my window, I can see the parade of little ghouls, and ghosts making their way through the neighborhood.
They collect their treats, and watch their bags swell with each visited house.
I clutch the bowl to my chest; waiting for my turn to bring my brand of Halloween into their tiny lives.
Here they come! A ballerina, is it? and a ninja turtle; how adorable!
"Trick or treat!" they cry happily, as I open the door, and dropped my treats into their bags.
I cackle, thinking of their expressions, upon seeing the severed fingers among their candy loot.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Running Late

“Where the hell are they?” he bellowed, as he unceremoniously cleared his desk of papers, and garbage.

“I know I left them in here!”

Doubting himself, he left his office, stormed through the living room, and began tossing the pillows, and cushions.

“Damn it to hell!”

Then, a lightning bolt of clarity struck him; he ran to the basement.

After clearing the remaining limbs of his latest victim from the second-hand examination table, he found his missing keys.

“Thank you, God!” he proclaimed, before running to his car.

Someone’s got be on time to teach Sunday School, after all.
edit on 11/28/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
'Season's Greetings' From Ferguson, MO.

Tear gas fills the air, and protesters fill the streets. They cry out for justice, while victimizing their neighbors, and breaking the law.

Candlelight vigils devolve into full-scale riots, as those who've lost a loved one stoke the flames with vitriol.

Talking heads fill the boob tube with rhetoric, and personal agendas, while blood is spilled by those listening to them.

They dance around the flaming wreckage of what was once a small bakery, and beat an old man to death, while claiming that they are the real victims.

The 'Racial Divide' has become impassable, and no one cares.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning
I had forgotten about this thread! I really liked it though, so I decided to give it a try!

No Title

If you’re near the water when it hits, you’re going to die. She had heard those words and thought it just a dream. Regret filled her heart, why hadn’t she listened to those words! She ran hard, watching with horror as the sky behind her daughter turned red. The girl danced and twirled the long ribbon in the air, silent, while her mother ran to her. There was a roaring in the air, of heat and sound that burned her face and deafened her. She screamed, grabbing the girl and squeezing her tight as the white-hot waves slammed into them.

Oh wow! What a powerful piece of writing and one that brought tears to my eyes and a heavy heart. Initially I was thinking it was about a flood/tsunami and then finding out it wasn't - oh boy! I have kids and it really made me think about things I don't ever want to.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed
The Psychopath (Or: The Entire World Is Against Me)

“Fifty”, they told him. “Fifty. If it’s less, betcha they screwed you like they always do”. He put the package onto his lap, fingers trembling while he hastily removed the wrapper. “I hope for your own good you didn’t screw me. You can screw everyone else but not me!” He tried to keep his anger under control but knew at the same time there was no peace until he counted them all. “Forty-EFFING-EIGHT… FORTY…EFFIN…EIGHT!!” he raged, pushing the pedal hard backing towards the drive-thru. He grabbed his shotgun. “Screw ME over with the fries?! ME??!!”, he screamed as he fired.

I loved this one and frighteningly it's what the world seems to be heading towards. There is so much anger in the world and I can imagine it getting that way for someone having a bad day and over 48 fries.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Loving the Drabbles Prof. S&F

What an entertaining, thought-provoking collection (and at times worryingly dark too). Just got to the end of the thread and given all of you a star. Would comment on each too, but then it would just be a pageful of replies, so
to everyone.

Going to keep my eye on this and maybe have a go myself.
edit on 2/12/2014 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
"Six of one half-dozen of another," Treadahilly said to her accordionist, "Just waltz me sideways for a spell and I'll be once upon a star."

The accordionist looked at her with a knowing eye.

Soon the sounds of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Phil Ochs echoed throughout the metal bedroom/patio, with every discordant note in the accordionists playbook touching Treadahilly's soul and psyche.

"Now step it up a notch," requested the Duke, preparing the accordionist a sandwich.

The accordion serenaded them for hours, and the night became legend, or at least a tale to be told at noonday. Fini.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If anyone is interested, I was looking for an online collection of more drabbles to read (I'm hooked!) and came across the "drabble challenge". You're supposed to write one drabble a day for 30 days using a list of single word prompts for your topic. I think I might give it a go.

Here's the list of words, in case anyone wants to try it, or just needs to use one to help you get started with a drabble.

(Sorry it's not formatted list style, I just copied from tumblr, and I'm far too lazy to retype it!)

beginning. accusation. restless. snowflake. haze. flame. formal. companion. move. silver. prepared. knowledge. denial. wind. order. thanks. look. summer. transformation. tremble. sunset. mad. thousand. outside. winter. diamond. letters. promise. simple. future.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
New Year, New You

Every year, he goes through this. Resolutions are nearly impossible to stick to, but he intends to do it this time.
The wall is covered with trophies; remnants of the pattern he intends to leave behind.
With the gentle hand of a museum curator, he wipes dust from one of them.
"It's time for a change," he says, scanning for any other foreign matter on his prized possessions.
Satisfied his collection was immaculately clean once again, he heads out of his den, leaving the row of severed male heads staring blankly at the walls.
"This year, I'm switching to women."

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

There are a few places to read drabbles online. Here's the two that I frequent the most.

Drablr.com

Drabblecast Forums

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The Legend of 'Walter's End'

“I’ll teach those damned kids!” Walter grumbled in the darkened intersection, leveling his shotgun.

Usually, the drag racers would decelerate, and hurl insults at the crazy old man; this time, his shaky grip resulted in a blast that blew out the right tire, causing the car to plow into ‘Crazy Old Walter’, killing him.

Locals believe that ‘Crazy Old Walter’ never left that place, and any speeding vehicle’s right tire will be blown out, causing an accident.

Strangely, ‘Walter’s End’ has been the site of many fatal crashes over the last seventy years.

That is the legend of ‘Walter’s End’.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Locked In

She screamed into the darkness, her voice echoing down the long hallway. Slamming her body against the steel bars, she rattled the chains and locks to no avail. She heard the snickering of her cellmates.

“You’re wasting your time,” they muttered scornfully.

“LET ME OUT!” she screamed defiantly, her words disappearing in the gloom.

A single light bulb dangled and flickered like every horror movie cliché she’d ever seen, and her bitter companions started to sob. And she too, began to cry.

The nurse injected more Haldol, and the light bulb finally burnt out as the drug flooded her cell.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I have a screenplay idea, I'd share but I'd rather try to get paid for it.
I coined the saying "theory of everything" years ago...either someone heard me say it or it was in someone else's head too.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I tried my best ha-ha, i'm not good but i want to get better.

"Breath Of Death"

Light as a feather flowing endlessly into the abyss seeing my planet.. one last time.. as I breath.. the little remains of my oxygen tank, listing to the gasp for each breathe. Shame I have to see home from such a distance, I wanted to explore, I guess my remains will for eternity... breathe... dead bodies everywhere, my ship destroyed by humans.. how funny, to us they are primitive but they just killed my entire crew.. my people...my family.. and we were told to never give them technology, #ing humans. the beauty of the solar system... its time, just breathe....

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos
This is taken from a little scfi story I am playing with and writing: The Story is about a universal dimensional Empire where sentient beings have gotten together (happily) and actually work toward a common goal..

This excerpt is from the ground work of the story laying out a premise so that what happens later can be understood.
Excerpt as follows:

Our science was basically stuck and unable to see or detect what was inside the fundamental quarks that make up the different atoms of the universe. M-theory postulated that once inside the different 6 known quarks (at the very basic fundamental energy/particle level) there were very small looped energy fields that vibrated at different frequencies. Through these different vibrational frequencies of their particular dimensional geometry all particles that makes up the atoms of the universe were created. M-theory and the math that went along with the theory said the were 11 extra dimensions if time was included as a dimension .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join