It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 79
<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner
Pff I dont get it? It's you who doesnt, I fully understand the premise of the thread and theory. It wasnt always spelled that way, just in your memory. I already explained why. Berenstein is more common and more sensible, people everywhere spelled it that way for that reason, and it became the common spelling.

50% of north americans spell "you're" wrong for god's sake! Does that mean it used to be "your"? It's written that way on t-shirts, Paris Hilton had one, it becomes popularised. People see other idiots spell it wrong and are reaffirmed that your means "you are".

a reply to: new_here
He spelled it wrong on his website, but that doesnt mean the court documents did. Besides, he's Jewish, and he spelled it in the traditional Jewish suffix. An easy mistake. As I said before, I spelled my friend's name wrong for almost a year because it was an uncommon slavic suffix

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Did you read this thread? The court docs say Berenstain and the lawyer didn't write his own website...

We've also discussed how many spell checkers fix Berenstain to Berenstein or Bernstein.
edit on 24-1-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I've been perusing antique stores recently to find any BB memorabilia. I just found this today, notice the spelling on the price tag! Someone had written it from their memory. The A spelling is clearly written on the mug yet they still spelled it differently. Hmmm...

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is the type of thing that I would typically laugh at, but I have to admit, I am floored. Like many people, the image in my mind of the books and television show clearly depicts "Berenstein." I can't claim to even fathom what theory could be correct. However, this post did re-introduce me to the Mandela Effect, which I had forgotten about and I find absolutely fascinating. Thank you for that.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hattish1

The brain auto corrects it. We showed how that happens. 70% failure rate for people looking at the name.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

To me, I'm not so sure that's a plausible explanation. I'm Italian American, and didn't grow up with a lot of German or Jewish influence that would've influenced pronunciation assumptions. I have quizzed varying ages regarding this. Today at the antique store, I quizzed the lady at the register. She would've bet money on the E spelling. Turns out she's a school teacher- specializing in reading/writing. Her reaction was to laugh it off and try to rationalize it by explaining that our brains will just automatically assume the "steen" pronunciation and E spelling. However, initially she was SO sure of the spelling but then was weirded out about it being different than she thought. I think she just wanted to make sense of it.

I can't make sense of it. It's so much bigger than just "a kids book", to me at least. This whole thing has got me questioning life, and my own existence. If all else fails, at least it got me to research quantum physics... lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Don't believe anything you hear and half of what you see. I think they want you to question everything to control you better. It's probably a control mechanism set in place to test how the brainwashing took on a generation. When everyone was watching Sesame Street, I was watching Monty Python. Have fun deprogramming yourselves.

Hey, it's all speculation or is it?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I can't make sense of it.

Maybe you're trying too hard. Relax and let the truth sink in.

originally posted by: Hattish1

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
As you JUST proved, even when looking at the proper logo, people still spell it wrong. Repeating myself here, when you pronounce something a certain way your brain corrects your spelling to match. Your brain actively tries to destroy dissonance.

The lady who labelled that mug also forgot the 's' at the end of bears.

Psychology trumps reality.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Read the thread, ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

I'm American mutt but I was born in Ireland and lived there off and on. There aren't many Irish "Steins" yet my brother remembers it wrong. My mother remembers it correctly. My mother pronounced it styne and read it to me (that story is in the thread) I pronounced it Steen (read the thread) and my brother remembers it being spelled wrong (read the thread).

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Why do you keep insisting I "read the thread"? I have read the thread in its entirety, I'm just adding to the conversation.

I'm really not looking to get into arguments with anyone. Here's the deal. You remember it one way, and I (along with thousands of others) remember it another way. I'm not saying that your ethnicity matters in this. I do think it's strange that people from all walks of life remember it as "stein".
Let's just take the 80's as an example:
Kids
Teachers
Librarians
Good spellers
Excellent spellers
Spelling bee champs
Parents and grandparents
Many different ages...

What about the people that had the exact same last name? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say. Surely THEY wouldn't made such a mistake with their OWN name, right?

It's not like we're ever going to get to the bottom of this, but it is quite interesting to discuss it!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

One's aptitude for spelling or their career choice does not change the subconscious function of the human mind...

Thinking that because a large number of people remember it wrong makes the wrong spelling right is mob mentality. Bringing up their occupations is a call to authority.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

So all of our collective minds share this same memory due to our subconscious being on the same functioning level? I can't see a 10 year old and 50 year old using their brain capabilities in the same way, rendering their subconscious to come to the same thoughts or conclusions. Add in to the mix language, culture, and family dynamics. Those most certainly would contribute to having various subconscious manifestations. Right? I mean, I can't imagine my brain is similar on that level to say...a child in Japan.

Thank you for the civil discussion :-)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: Brotherman

Admittedly it's quite creepy.

None of my siblings can spell worth a damn so there's no point even asking them what they remember.

(Cheerios nuggets and mole whilk spatter on wireless appliances)
I realized after a whole generation of attempting to communicate
with my nieces and nephews -- and all the time being regularly
accused of not speaking in plain English, that the world HAS changed.
Now for the toothpick to dig out the soaked crumbs from Mr.Dvorak.
Just kidding, I'm a regular guy. That didn't come out right either, did it?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

No, I'm saying that what you remembered at 10 isn't the same that you remember now. Your brain fixed it for you.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Asked an old friend. He is a Steiner. Was all about the bears. He has Stein in his real name and has had a derivative nickname forever.

Blew his mind.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

That proves it though, he had stein in his name. It made sense. His brain corrected it.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Okay, I haven't been on this forum in a while now, but I had to add a reply because I also, completely, totally remember Berenstein. I would have remembered if it had the word 'stain' in it. I remembered thinking it was sort of weird that this family of bears had a name with the same ending as Frankenstein. And also that it sounded german. We had a ton of book fairs in school while I was growing up, and you could pre-order books from a little colour catalogue, or go and buy them at the fair. Berenstein Bear books were always there. Lots of them. My mother distinctly remembers Berenstein too.

I saw a link to this thread on another thread and had the same reaction as many of you. "Berenstain?! What?!"

After visiting the Mandela Effect site.... I'm freaking out here, guys. I really am.
I also clearly remember 'Definately' and 'Dilemna'. The 'Dilemna' one really throws me, as I remember being corrected on the spelling, and thinking, 'why the heck would somebody put an N in that word?'

Fidel Castro's death. Shirley Temple's death around 4-5 years ago.

'Jiffy' Peanut Butter (I remember walking around the grocery store a few years ago and wondering why they'd changed the name. Also remember being absurdly angry as a kid that the name was so similar to 'Skippy' peanut butter, which I loved...)
Mystery Science Theater 2000, TAPS, Interview with A Vampire

And after doing even more searching;
Korea was south of China, Japan was farther south, Scotland was smaller, Wales was on the east coast, New Zealand is somehow in the wrong place and Australia was further south east and didn't have that extra point at the top, the other islands above it were positioned differently. They all pointed right at Australia, they didn't trail off beyond it.
(I'm Canadian, I've spent a lot of time looking at maps because when I read about a place, I like to look it up.)
Tank Man got run over in Tienanmen Square... Who knows what else.
I just... I don't even know what to think here.

TBH, I probably would have dismissed this as completely nutso too if I wasn't living it.

I don't think that anyone who hasn't experienced this can fully comprehend just how freaky it is. The sad thing is, other than a lot of people coming together and saying that they remember the exact same thing, there's absolutely no way to prove any of this.

In another thread, I was reading someone asking where the 'me' from this new... dimension or whatever, went. I honestly have no idea. Maybe it's like some kind of sick cosmic game of musical chairs. 'I' got switched somewhere else. Gah.

Believe me, I wish this wasn't happening.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Prysm

I like all the "I would have remembered it" crowd. Apparently you didn't.

top topics

<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join